RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dont want to wait 10000 miles to change the oil in this truck. I have scheduled oil changes for 3 years or 36000 miles as part of the Mopar Service Contract, but they wont change it until the oil service light turns on. I dont want to leave all of the break in substances left floating around in my oil. Does anybody want to change their oil early? If so what should the mileage be before doing so? Get back with your thoughts and comments.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm changing mine at 3k miles which I will hit by next weekend. I wanted to change it a bit earlier but didn't get around to it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
With machineing tolerances what they are I wouldn't really see a need. If you felt the need to change anything I'd just do the filter and top it off. Your filter will catch anything that it'd normally get any other time you do a 10k interval. If you want to get EVERYTHING out (except fuel dilution) then look into getting a bypass oil filtration system.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Personally, I do not care what's in the book. I've owned 15-vehicles over the last 30-years and I have always done the same thing on each and every one of them, gas or diesel. I drive the vehicle normally the first 500-miles but with very limited highway driving. This is more for the ring-n-pinions than anything. At 500-miles, I change the engine oil and filter. I drive normally but I no longer limit my highway driving for the next 1000-miles, change the oil-n-filter, then drive 1500-miles, and change oil-n-filter and all the drive-line fluids. Then from this point on, I follow the server maintenance schedule. I know but this is what my Ram's 4.7L bottom-end looked like at almost 100K.

:)

edit: And my failure on the engine was because the anti-corrosive paint on the INSIDE surface on the oil pan delaminated and plugged my pickup screen as I was drive 70-mph down the highway! The warranty inspector the engine out on the ground and torn down to the long block. Two days later, he saw how clean the engine was inside valve covers and bottom-end then claimed there was nothing wrong with the engine. He said there was no need to take the engine apart any further because he had seen enough. The failure point is the number three piston cylinder and I have been in a law suit with them for the time posted in my SIG. Yea, my Ram is parked on the street to a battery charger and I cannot touch it. I'm happy happy happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
I really dont want to wait 10000 miles to change the oil in this truck. I have scheduled oil changes for 3 years or 36000 miles as part of the Mopar Service Contract, but they wont change it until the oil service light turns on. I dont want to leave all of the break in substances left floating around in my oil. Does anybody want to change their oil early? If so what should the mileage be before doing so? Get back with your thoughts and comments.
Judge,

I went down the coupon book road with my 2009 Ram. At 36000 miles still had a bunch of pre-paid oil change coupons left. Change it when you want, it's not up to the vehicle's computer or the dealer. My gasser called for oil changes around 8500-9000 miles not the 3K intervals we're all used too.

Reactions: judgevalor

·
Registered
254 Posts
With machineing tolerances what they are I wouldn't really see a need. If you felt the need to change anything I'd just do the filter and top it off. Your filter will catch anything that it'd normally get any other time you do a 10k interval. If you want to get EVERYTHING out (except fuel dilution) then look into getting a bypass oil filtration system.
I work in automotive manufacturing, specifically part cleaning and deburring - trust me when I say that machining tolerances are irrelevent when considering contamination at the assembly process ;)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Isn't there a sensor that constantly tests the oil to tell you when it needs changing? Pretty sure I read that in the manual somewhere

·
Registered
592 Posts
"Test", no. It uses an algorithm based on RPM, temperature and startups and idle time.
Agreed. The only thing is the algorithm doesn't know this is a brand new engine and it will have trash and metal shavings from the break-in. That's why I'm so coo-coo about changing the oil on a new engine. After all, oil is cheap.

IMO

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
So. What consensus can you guys say for the first one then..... this my first diesel so I am sorta in the dark here

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agreed. The only thing is the algorithm doesn't know this is a brand new engine and it will have trash and metal shavings from the break-in. That's why I'm so coo-coo about changing the oil on a new engine. After all, oil is cheap.

IMO
Also agree. I changed the factory fill in my Hemi at 1k.

·
Registered
396 Posts
This one will make you guys cringe. My wife leased a 11' Honda crosstour I had a free oil change done at 3000 miles and that was the last one I did. At 47,000 miles just before we turned it in I decided I better check to see if it had any oil in it. It was barely on the stick. My point is two things.
1. Don't buy leased cars, you have no idea what the guy did before you
2. Why do you change your oil at 3000 miles? Because you great grandfather did? This shows how good these motors are and how good oil is now. Oil is so far advanced from the old 3000 mile days and so are these motors. I'm not a big tree hugger but you are waisting millions of gallons of oil for no reason. And to say "I've always changed it at 3000 and i never have a problem im sure is true. Why not change it every 2000? That Honda ran fine, made no noises.now would I go 44,000 miles on my own car, no but I am more than comfortable with 10,000.

Reactions: Smashy71

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Bob the oil guy website would show you that your Honda was not happy with 40000 miles on its oil. There are protective properties of oil lost after time and mileage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The break in period is different because of the contaminates associated with construction and initial wear on the engine. I need to know if they are present and an early oil change is needed. This truck cost way too much for me to damage it over a $140 oil change.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think Bob the oil guy website would show you that your Honda was not happy with 40000 miles on its oil. There are protective properties of oil lost after time and mileage.
again if it were my engine I wouldn't go 44k but 3000 is way over kill even with break in. to each there own. change the oil ever 2000 if it makes you feel better I will save my money even if it is only $140. you'll have $420 and wasted time wrapped up before I change mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As per the diesel supplement book, the diesel engine "doesn't need a brake in period" because the way they test the engines... I don't necessarily believe this. But my point in bringing it up is its more important to change the diff fluid after the first 500-1500 miles then the engine, which was actually ran and tested.

When I pick up my truck Monday I'll be driving just over 500 miles, picking up a trailer and driving another 600 miles to pick up some equipment. Afterwards I'll be driving another 700 miles before I pass the dealership I bought the truck from. At that point I'll be getting an oil change for two reasons. One because I don't believe the whole "doesn't need to be broken in" and too, at the beginning of my trucks life it will be worked like a pack Mule. I don't want to haul a trailer weight about 6,100#s 4,000 miles back home to Alaska from the initial oil that I broke my truck in with. Call my worries a wast of money. However that oil change gives me piece of mind that I'm taking care of my new baby, even if there's a chance I'm just throwing money down the drain.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron4969

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nailem I agree that the 3000 mile oil changes are a total waste of money. Im just concerned with the break in period. I will go back to the recommended intervals after that. I just want to eliminate any premature damage that could happen. I dont plan on getting another truck for at least four years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nailem I agree that the 3000 mile oil changes are a total waste of money. Im just concerned with the break in period. I will go back to the recommended intervals after that. I just want to eliminate any premature damage that could happen. I dont plan on getting another truck for at least four years.
Take this website for what you want, but he explains how a new engine should be broken in. He works on motorcycles engines, but said car and truck engines are machined the same way and his break in procedure works well with auto engines. So, for what it is worth, read this site. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

·
Registered
701 Posts
Stick to interval including the first. The manufacturer and dealer make more money if they had you change oil more frequently. They don't do this as it's unnecessary and sometimes less than ideal. If this was non-synthetic, or old tech, or severe duty, then change early. I worry more about the variation in poor quality gas or fuel. I would like to add an extra inline fuel filter.

My Mercedes used to be 12.5k miles (20,000 kilometers). In a later year car they changed the interval to 10k miles only to sell more filters and help the dealer get service dollars. I asked the service tech. I believe bmw used to be 15k miles. Our engine is similar quality and on synthetic, can go over 10k under normal duty. There is already headroom in the oil life interval. German auto co's are big on protecting the long life built into their cars. It also helps to increase residual resale values which prop up high new car prices. They don't recommend to change the first cycle early. They would do it if it made sense.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts