RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 970 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am not happy about this. This does not seem to fall in line with the VW settlement.
Read the articles on this situation. It is very clear. The VW violations were far more egregious, affected more vehicles, and occurred for a much longer period of time. VW tune/equipment was several times over the limit and they had a systematic cover up going on at several levels. I still haven't seen competent information on exactly what the violations are with the 3.0L diesel. Under what modes of operation does this occur and to what extent does it go over the limits.

If you are concerned about fuel mileage statements not being met I doubt this settlement addresses any of those concerns. My understanding is this is all about the tailpipe emissions and not the fuel mileage.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Heck I think us owners should PAY to keep our Ecodiesels. We have enjoyed the savings and performance of these vehicles for a long time. We need to PAY for the environmental damage we caused during our ownership and operation.

Now first I want to see what this environmental damage is. Did notice an oil stain on my driveway where a pan of engine oil spilled. Horrible environmental damage there. Wait for the EPA announcement forecast for today and get ready to write your check to the EPA.
Hi: Captainmal... My "Cheque is in the mail"... LoL
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Part of my decision to purchase of the truck was to reduce my GHG emissions, I know that is not a popular opinion on here, but it was part of my decision.
If I had known this before I bought the truck, I would not have bought it, much less paid for it.
If it turns out that I will only get a check for 2.8K and no buy back choice, I will remove myself from the class action suit and go independent.
Cool story. If GHG is your concern, buying any truck is not a real option. Look at the percentage changes. The vast sum of GHG emission occurs in the production of the vehicle. The burr in the EPA's saddle is NOx emissions during operational drive modes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
!!! This is such GRreat news !!! One of the greatest engine purchases you could ever make just got better...IS this possible ? Pinch me ! :)

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
The BIGGEST differences between VW was advertising fraudulently claims aka VW Clean Diesels !!!!!! FCA never fraudulently made claims of advertising clean diesels only claim made by FCA was the EcoDiesel was highest mpgs in 1/2 ton pick up category and it still IS !!!!!!

It’s a Economy Diesel not Ecology Diesel like the lawyering associations where trying to imply = 2800.00

·
Registered
83 Posts
Straight from the EPA site.
Both company's willing miss lead the government and the consumer.
Now that's a stretch. How do you know anyone was misled? It said they failed to "disclose"
We don't really know all that was in this, but it sounds like FCA turned off part of the emissions junk at hwy speed because it wasn't deemed necessary. We don't really know at this point that the truck did not properly "reduce emissions".

So, I'm left with the question, for those of us that have a GDE tune, what do we do? I'm thinking that there could be "strings" attached to a refund, such as you get it after you flash your ECM. Certainly we don't want to flash our GDE ECM.
My head is spinning out of control, time to go drive my RAM eco-diesel :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Affected Owners to Receive Approximately $2,800.00 from civil lawsuit.

what if you did not sign up for lawsuit ? is this settlement for all ecodiesel owners, or just the ones with attorneys ?

·
Registered
184 Posts

what if you did not sign up for lawsuit ? is this settlement for all ecodiesel owners, or just the ones with attorneys ?
Generally, in the US, if you have purchased the product you are a member of the class. You have to actively opt out of the class to be excluded. All class action suits differ, but generally follow that pattern.

·
Registered
615 Posts

Nope, no need to sign up with one of the shysters chasing down the greedy and disgruntled. You are automatically represented by the Government tort. But, if you are one of the individuals who was fantasizing over a VW style buyback, then the shysters will be happy to sign you up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If this is true, the $2,800, my plan is to get the dealer reflash, send GDE $800 for a better tune, and the remaining $2,000 to paying off the loan. As I near retirement,:cool: getting out of debt and making sure my equipment has some longevity are top priorities.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Once a settlement for the class is announced, they "certify" the class and that is when the clock starts ticking for owners to accept or opt out.

If this $2800 thing turns out to be true then I'm definitely going forward with my "opt out" attorney who's already been working this case for a while. I've given many of your here his info via private message and would be happy to continue doing that, just drop me a line via the PM function.

There are many of these types of attorneys and I'm sure you have received letters from them. I like mine because the focus for his clients (each one will be handled individually with NO out of pocket expense to you) is a buyback. I was hoping the class would get $5000. That was going to be my accept/opt-out threshold. Opting out on that much might not pan out if you're after cash only because these opt out attorneys take a whopping FORTY percent. So the clock would start over on a private court battle that could take years (my guy is just now finishing his VW clients) and even if the private case gets you $10,000, you'll only net $6000. However, if the $2800 rumor pans out then I'm more than happy to roll the dice for more money or a buyback. My attorney can't tell me the details of other client's cases on the VW thing but he said they are all VERY happy they waited and stuck with him but their class deal was around $7000 for those affected most.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If this $2800 thing turns out to be true then I'm definitely going forward with my "opt out" attorney who's already been working this case for a while. I've given many of your here his info

There are many of these types of attorneys and I'm sure you have received letters from them. I like mine because the focus for his clients (each one will be handled individually with NO out of pocket expense to you) is a buyback. I was hoping the class would get $5000. That was going to be my accept/opt-out threshold. Opting out on that much might not pan out if you're after cash only because these opt out attorneys take a whopping FORTY percent. So the clock would start over on a private court battle that could take years (my guy is just now finishing his VW clients) and even if the private case gets you $10,000, you'll only net $6000. However, if the $2800 rumor pans out then I'm more than happy to roll the dice for more money or a buyback. My attorney can't tell me the details of other client's cases on the VW thing but he said they are all VERY happy they waited and stuck with him but their class deal was around $7000 for those affected most.
The class action lawsuit will probably be paying around this time next year. What’s the timeline if you opt out, given that your attorney “has been working in this for a while”?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did some quick calculations:
My 78,500 mile average (all driving) = 23.7 mpg
Say the recall correcting flash (the one that makes on eligible for the $2800) reduces average MPG to 21.7.
I drive, on average, 22,000 mile/year.
Keeping my truck another 6 years, I'll drive an additional 132,000 miles.
The flash would cause me to use an additional 511.5 gallon of fuel over the remaining life of the truck.
If the average cost/gal over the next 6 years is $3.10, the extra cost for fuel would be $1,585.
I'm still ahead by $1,214.
As for resale.....by the time the truck sees 10 snowy, salt covered road winters and over 200,000 miles, it won't be worth much anyway.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Here is the just released statement from the DOJ:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/civil-settlements-united-states-and-california-fiat-chrysler-will-resolve-allegations

"Fiat Chrysler has agreed to implement a recall program to repair more than 100,000 noncompliant diesel vehicles sold or leased in the United States, offer an extended warranty on repaired vehicles, and pay a civil penalty of $305 million to settle claims of cheating emission tests and failing to disclose unlawful defeat devices."

And,

"The Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee has secured a settlement for consumers with FCA and Bosch. Class members will receive between $990 and $3,075—an aggregate value of over $300 million if all class members participate—plus an extended warranty and an emissions fix also provided for in the EPA/California Settlement. Under California's separate consumer settlement, FCA also must provide consumers with the relief contained in the PSC agreement. For more information, consumers can go to EcoDieselSettlement.com or call FCA at 1-833-280-4748."

So, looks like we get between $990 and $3075 and a free extended warranty. But, what if we already purchased a Maxcare?

·
Registered
575 Posts
So, looks like we get between $990 and $3075 and a free extended warranty. But, what if we already purchased a Maxcare?
I suspect the extended warranty will only cover the basic emissions components and the PCM. FCA is still going to get away with claiming the DEF tank is not a major component of the emissions system.

My guess is the $990 amount will probably be paid to owners of a 2016. $3075 amount will be paid to owners of a 2014. 2015 owners will get something in between. Of course this is pure speculation.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Now that's a stretch. How do you know anyone was misled? It said they failed to "disclose"
We don't really know all that was in this, but it sounds like FCA turned off part of the emissions junk at hwy speed because it wasn't deemed necessary. We don't really know at this point that the truck did not properly "reduce emissions".

So, I'm left with the question, for those of us that have a GDE tune, what do we do? I'm thinking that there could be "strings" attached to a refund, such as you get it after you flash your ECM. Certainly we don't want to flash our GDE ECM.
My head is spinning out of control, time to go drive my RAM eco-diesel :rolleyes:

Let FCA do their flash and get your cheque. Then send the ECM to GDE to be updated for $200 and be ahead by the $2600 or so. Easy -Peasy and then according to FCA and the EPA you have been corrected as per the settlement.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Anyone know how it works if you are the second owner? Does the original owner have a claim or not?

Edit: Just read the eligibility requirements and I'm a bit confused.

21 - 40 of 970 Posts