RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i got a call from the dealer doing my AEM...

broken exhaust bolt connecting DPF to exhaust pipe...

cost? $476 to replace. I asked him if the bolt was made of gold. Told the dealer to pound sand and i would repair it myself.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I believe one of the other users who reported having the corroded/broke exhaust bolts said his dealer fixed it for free and said call it warranty?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Dealers trying to get some of your AEM settlement check ,

if it is after the canister , the 3 bolts are reachable , just after the flexible part ...
IF "pre DPF" , it is going to be in a bad place , but up there isn't it a big flange ??

·
Registered
78 Posts
typically its the flange between the DPF and SCR that fails. Mine was covered by warranty about a year ago at ~75000 miles. Several have had this issue after the AEM and had it covered by the AEM warranty.

If you don't want to fix it yourself, ask the dealer to finish the AEM and then replace the bolt under that warranty. If they refuse, have them finish the AEM and then take it to another dealer to have it fixed under the AEM warranty. This may be more hassle than just fixing it yourself though.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what i am going to do... its after the DPF @ the flange just before the SCR. Just had my AEM and my god is the cold performance just laughable. Once it's warm its fine.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny part is I told him I have a warranty. Gave him the info.

Went to pick up the truck and he said they took care of it for free. I thought great. Then I went under the truck... They did nothing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
So first they quoted you $476 to replace a bolt, then said they did it for free, but actually did nothing? I think it may be time to find a new dealer.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes.. looks like the bottom bolt failed and the other 2 are on their way out.

Gonna take it in soon to get it repaired... By a different dealer.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If it was just bolts and nuts , it would be an easy replacement job ,
just have them break off and replace , but the studs are in the flexible tube side
and nut on SCR side , there is going to be some breaking , drilling , re-tapping threads , to
install new studs ,,,, the top one will be hardest to reach , I know i would not
put studs again , just drill holes and use regular graded bolts and nuts ,
exhaust heat , hot cold - hot cold every day is hard on bolts .
Still $476 for an hour or two of misery is pretty expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts