RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm coming up on 36k pretty quickly and was starting to go over my truck just to check and make sure everything warranty related is still functioning properly. The only thing I've found that doesn't seem right is the heat. I understand that an engine needs to warm up to produce cabin heat but I've read on this site that out trucks have built in electric heaters that can pump out some heat immediately. Can anyone verify that this does occur after starting your truck on a cold morning? Is it just warm or actual hot air? Mine can run for several minutes and will still blow cold.

Aside from that the only thing I've had an issue with so far is the radio, Sirius XM specifically, not working. I actually have an appointment tomorrow to have a new unit installed.

Love my truck! MPGs have dropped from 26-27 down to 24-25 likely because of the fuel but I'm still doing better than most other trucks. Looking forward to installing the Cooper Discoverer ATWs I picked up a few months ago based on a thread from this site. Gotta love $90/tire!

Thanks in advance for all your input!

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
It's true, but don't expect to feel too much heat from the PTC's

Here's a post from our friends at GDE:

Winter warm-up tips

For those that are not aware, the Ram ecodiesel is equipped with 3 PTC heaters in the HVAC system designed to provide quick cabin heat after starting the engine. A PTC is essentially a coil heating element in the air system ducts, similar to a hair dryer. All three PTC can pump out about 1000W.

The stock tune will idle at 1400 rpm is the HVAC requests the PCM to turn on the electrical heating elements (PTCs). For this to happen, it generally needs to be 50 F or colder outside and the coolant not warmed up. If you have the single-zone HVAC system, the temperature selector needs to be at maximum heat setting and the blower fan on at any level above zero. If you have the dual-zone HVAC it should only need the heat setting above the middle point and the blower on.

Granted, the 1000W PTC output is a bit low for the size of the cabin, this will help provide quicker heat than waiting for the coolant temps to rise.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1000w isn't a ton of heat, you're right. But I can definitely feel the heat from a 1500w space heater and I'm currently getting no heat, just cold air.

I remember reading this from GDE and made sure that the temp was all the way up and the blower on. Didn't seem to matter. Maybe I'll mention it at my apt. tomorrow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't been plugging the truck in. Soon though, temps will be dropping shortly.

Even with plugging it in last year I never remember any heat coming out until the engine was warmed up a bit.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I haven't been plugging the truck in. Soon though, temps will be dropping shortly.

Even with plugging it in last year I never remember any heat coming out until the engine was warmed up a bit.
Why don't you just start your truck and let it idle for 10 or 15 minutes and everything will be this warm engine and drivetrain in the cabin wow what an easy great concept

·
Registered
324 Posts
I get instant heat from the moment I start my truck. It’s warm air instantly even if the truck sat out overnight and it is 15F outside and I haven’t plug my truck in!

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,444 Posts
I get instant heat from the moment I start my truck. It’s warm air instantly even if the truck sat out overnight and it is 15F outside and I haven’t plug my truck in!
Me too.

And I have never and will never let it idle for 15 minutes to warm up either. Usually I start it and let it run for as long as it takes me to buck my little boy in his seat, no more than 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I was looking for. Thanks Diesel78. I'll mention it tomorrow when I stop in.

Edit: I also don't want to let my truck idle for 15 minutes for the sole purpose of heat. If electric heaters are installed and not working properly I see that as an issue.

·
Registered
649 Posts
1000w isn't a ton of heat, you're right. But I can definitely feel the heat from a 1500w space heater and I'm currently getting no heat, just cold air.

I remember reading this from GDE and made sure that the temp was all the way up and the blower on. Didn't seem to matter. Maybe I'll mention it at my apt. tomorrow.
1000W @ 12 volts is a big difference compared to 1500W space heater @ 120 volts. The installed PTC heaters just can barely be felt when on. Just enough to start to defrost the windshield.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I still think these heaters were a great idea by RAM. While 1000W is not going to heat the cab, I can feel that they are there shortly after starting the truck. Any amount of heat at -10*F is a wonderful thing! Things like these heaters and being able to purchase a factory air suspension were some of the reasons I bought this truck.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I still think these heaters were a great idea by RAM. While 1000W is not going to heat the cab, I can feel that they are there shortly after starting the truck. Any amount of heat at -10*F is a wonderful thing! Things like these heaters and being able to purchase a factory air suspension were some of the reasons I bought this truck.
Just glad they did include one. Supplemental heaters are pretty much standard in diesels and hybrids, whether they be fuel burning or electric.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now only if they would work. I checked again this morning and nothing. I started feeling some warmth when the coolant hit 90-100. It was 23 when I starter it up too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
... Still 1000 watts at 12 volts is pulling 83 amps ...
83 Amps should require a large gauge wiring to support it. I have never looked for the large gauge wiring, but I went looking on the heater box parts diagrams and havn't spotted the PTC heater part yet. Just curious is all.

The Jeep Liberty Diesel 05-06 had the viscus gel pump heater assist.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
83 Amps should require a large gauge wiring to support it. I have never looked for the large gauge wiring, but I went looking on the heater box parts diagrams and havn't spotted the PTC heater part yet. Just curious is all.

The Jeep Liberty Diesel 05-06 had the viscus gel pump heater assist.
Oh, the good ole VP.
I suspect that the PTC heaters work off one of the 3 fuses on the positive post. 1 is for the power steering, I believe one is for the starter. The 3rd could be the PTC heaters.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
This is what I was looking for. Thanks Diesel78. I'll mention it tomorrow when I stop in.

Edit: I also don't want to let my truck idle for 15 minutes for the sole purpose of heat. If electric heaters are installed and not working properly I see that as an issue.
Let us know what the dealer says if you could. I have never felt any heat at start up on my truck also. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts