RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,795 Posts
I suspect that the PTC heaters work off one of the 3 fuses on the positive post. 1 is for the power steering, I believe one is for the starter. The 3rd could be the PTC heaters.
The PTC heaters don't have a fuse off the battery post but three under the cover just behind the battery. There is three relays for the heaters with (3) 50 amp fuses(red). The 60 amp fuse(yellow) is for the glow plugs.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The PTC heaters don't have a fuse off the battery post but three under the cover just behind the battery. There is three relays for the heaters with (3) 50 amp fuses(red). The 60 amp fuse(yellow) is for the glow plugs.
Thank you for that information. If I had issues, I would definitely be barking up the wrong tree.

·
Read Only
594 Posts
... Still 1000 watts at 12 volts is pulling 83 amps ...
83 Amps should require a large gauge wiring to support it. I have never looked for the large gauge wiring, but I went looking on the heater box parts diagrams and havn't spotted the PTC heater part yet. Just curious is all.

The Jeep Liberty Diesel 05-06 had the viscus gel pump heater assist.
I'm no electrician but 83 amps to do 1000 watts at 12 volts seems too high. Did you mean 8.3 amps? My house has 100 amp service and one 900w heat pump at 110v draws about 9 amps and the 1480 watt at 220v draws 10 amps. 83 amps?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks Carsh68 for sharing this. I wish I knew it before installing a 800W Thermoking coolant Electric Heater to assist with faster warm up so I can use cabin heat faster. I will definitely rig these relays so they start when I want them to start. The coolant heater does help a little bit. It is not me freezing in the morning but, my daughter when I take her to school. The school is all downhill from the house and for like 8 miles the coolant temperature reaches around 150-155F with outside temperature 40-45F. And I plug that truck every night of the week to warm up the block in the morning for like 2 hours. I have never felt those PTC heaters in the morning, I have a thermometer in the vent and it blows around 25F colder air than the engine temp. I had a Jetta TDI which also had electric heater assist. On the Jetta whatever was the temperature of the engine pretty much the same temp air was coming out the vents.

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No, it's not. A watt is a watt, no matter the voltage. I was simply using 1500w as a reference.
You are correct sir!

A wattsawatt!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,795 Posts
A watt is a watt when it come to heating. There is 3.412141633 BTUs per watt
Considering these are supplemental heaters that are being exposed to sub 50°F air and depending on the CFM being passed over them, you can see why the temperature rise will be minimal.

·
Registered
401 Posts
in the post #2 , on first page of this thread , it says coolant must be COLD for this added system
to kick in , so if the block heater was plugged , I guess you will not get that heat.
Thanks, yes most likely this is why, but on the weekend I got them wired to my coolant heater so I can turn them on when ever I want. The three elements give like 20 degrees boost over the coolant temperature.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So a little update on my progress. I dropped the truck off Monday and picked it up yesterday. In that timeframe they:

1. Replaced the head unit as my Sirius XM wasn't working and was deemed a hardware issue. Sat Radio now works like a charm. Of course

2. Checked the 1000w heaters/system for proper function. It was throwing a code (Don't know the #), so they cleared it, ran a calibration test and it passed. I left the dealership with the preheaters working and only drove a couple minutes before stopping. Upon starting back up, no heat! Coolant was only around 60F too. I called the dealership this morning to let them know and they said bring it back in.

3. Heated seats. They seemed to take very long to get warm and they never really get super hot. The rental I was provided, a 2017 jeep Cherokee, had heated seats that you could sear scallops on. They went from cold to hot in about 30 seconds too. Anyway, they checked the heated seats and said all is functioning OK. Maybe it's partly due to the leather?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My heated seats go from cold to warm in under 30 seconds, and to hot in maybe another minute or two. Both fronts, and the two outside rear seats.

The heated steering wheel goes form cold to hot very quickly.

I usually turn the seat heaters on high for only a few minutes before turning them to low or off.

I also set my auto climate to auto and a comfortable temperature and the truck maintains said temp quite well, aside from the occasional need to throw some defrost at the windshield.

I've never noticed any significant heat output until coolant temp gets above 100, but it does defrost the windshield when remote started, so the supplemental heaters definitely do work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I wish mine were like this. As I stated above, the heated seats in the rental I had were absolutely fantastic. Hi for a minute or two and then I had to turn them down.

I did research this a bit last winter and remember reading on another site that the issue might be the programming of how the seats work and not the heaters themselves. Apparently if you start the truck for the first time that day the heaters will warm up slowly. If you turn it off and restart though the heaters heat up faster. I haven't tried this out though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I figured I'd update everyone on the status of the subject issue here. I dropped my truck off on Tuesday to have the heating issue fixed. Picked it up on Thursday but the engine was already warm so I couldn't tell if the ptc heaters were working. Per the invioce they had replaced the heater core. Friday morning I started the truck and it blew cold air, not even a hint of warmth until the coolant was over 60. It was -10 out, not sure if that was influencing this. I just tried it again at ~10f and still no warm air.

Not only was the issue not fixed, BUT my dash was reinstalled incorrectly with a large gap, say 1/4", on the passenger side where it meets the pillar. See attached photo. It seems to be the entire dash too, as in where the center console meets the vertical dash section it's also shifted by roughly the same amount.

It was light when I picked the truck up and the wife, kids and I went grocery shopping after. When we left it was dark and on the way home I noticed a lot of glare coming from the rear view mirror. Come to find out my auto dimming mirror doesn't work anymore. I click the button and after a few seconds it turns off.

As you can imagine, at this point I'll livid. I called the dealer up yesterday to discuss all 3 issues and this I was I'm told. I should have mentioned earlier, I'm now just out of the 36k mile warranty. This issue started before the warranty was up though.

1. There's nothing more they can replace and these trucks don't have factory ptc heaters. They may be an option though on certain trim levels.

I took a picture of the ptc fuses and plan on sending them a picture showing these. Anything else I should try? Does anyone know if any of the RAM documentation mentions these? It bothers me that dealers don't know these things.

2. The dash was like that before they took it apart.

BS. Whoever worked on it was either rushing or didn't know what they were doing. Maybe both.

3. The dash removal and the auto dimming mirror have nothing in common.

I'm almost positive the connection for this would behind the head unit which is behind/under the dash. Any thoughts here?

Sorry to rant, I'm just unbelievably annoyed by all of this. In essence nothing was fixed and the truck was returned to me with more stuff wrong. Any input on how I should handle this with the dealer?

Vehicle Car Electronics Vehicle audio Center console

Car Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any update on this?

My one chief complaint about my truck is the ridiculous lack of cab heating. I can leave my truck running for 15 min and it doesn't matter, it will not defrost the windows (sitting outside). Once I got moving this morning, the coolant temp got up in the 110-120F range within 5-10 min but that was only good for very minimum interior heating at best (case in point, this morning it was 28F outside). When its really cold outside, my short morning drive produces zero usable heat. The HVAC will keep the windows from fogging over on the inside.

Concerning the heated seats...they too are super spotty, sometimes they work...sometime it seems like they do not work at all. In my wife's '15 Chrysler T&C, they get warm in a hurry. In a loaner 2017 Cherokee...they got atomic hot in minutes. In comparison, my truck is highly disappointing.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts