RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first fill up with the new truck. Although I am happy with the overall MPG ,I am not happy how off the dash is. Here is the results. Dash was saying 30mpg. Hand calculated was 26.2 which is great in my opinion. However I do wish the dash was closer. As far as my commute I have a 120 mile round trip everyday. 90% is all highway. I drive at about average 71mph but I will say for some reason the dash will read higher mpg if I do 75. So maybe my truck has a sweet spot. I am excited to get the 26.2 ,can’t wait to see what the future holds. Here is the picture of the dash and my fuel receipt so you all can see. E112EEB9-8DBD-4051-9D2D-2E5560CC39B5.jpeg
E112EEB9-8DBD-4051-9D2D-2E5560CC39B5.jpeg

·
Registered
716 Posts
75 mph will not be the "sweet spot" . A Ram is a big truck, lots of wind resistance. As you get more miles on your truck, the dash display will become more accurate. Guessing that you have the 31 gallon tank? Not many vehicles as large as a Ram will get 26.29 mpg at 75 mph. I'd try driving at 70 mph for a tank, bet hand calculated will go up, regardless of dash display. Nice!

·
Registered
758 Posts
These trucks (like most new vehicles) need to be driven for many hundreds of miles before the computer learns about you and the truck. It took mine the better part of 10k km before the computer and hand fill calcs were close enough to rely on the dash.

And no ..... despite what you wish for .... you won't get better fuel mileage by going faster.

·
Registered
284 Posts
At least in the first 4000 miles my dash displayed mpg has varied above and below hand calculations. The trend would appear to be that the gap is slowly decreasing.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. Just want to be clear I am totally happy so far with the MPG. I just wasn’t happy with such a wide difference on the dash calculated MPG. But from what everyone is saying the truck just needs time to learn. It is a 33 gallon tank with 3:92 gears. I just installed a truck fold bed cover so I’ll keep you all posted with the MPG.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
My old Ecodiesel was optimistic but not that much. My new Ram is also the same yet again, not that much.

Keep on hand calculating.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I assume the Gen 3 Eco calculates only over the last 250 or-something-miles and not the whole tank, just like the 2014-19 Eco's?
I have read that in several threads on this forum but have a hard time believing it. Does anyone have some factual info from a reliable source? Logically the system should be averaged until reset. I’d bet 90+% of drivers want to know the mileage on the tank vs previous 250 miles/km.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Noticed the overall odometer is at 789 miles. So, 789 divided by 26.974 equals 29.25 mpg...truck maybe looking at overall mileage? Did the truck have 80 miles on it when you bought it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always run to 1/4 or 1/8 tank, then fill it completely up and reset the dash display. ALL my prior gas trucks and Jeeps have been spot-on or extremely close, within 0.3 MPG of being accurate.

This 2020 EcoDiesel is way off. Every tank has been 1.0 to 1.3 optimistic and I just filled it up again an hour ago and it was 2.0 MPG optimistic.

I'm about to install aftermarket wheels and tires on mine, so I will use my Tazer programmer to adjust my instruments and that should bring the dash MPG display closer to reality.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have read that in several threads on this forum but have a hard time believing it. Does anyone have some factual info from a reliable source? Logically the system should be averaged until reset. I’d bet 90+% of drivers want to know the mileage on the tank vs previous 250 miles/km.
I don't know where the 200-250 mile guess came from, but I do know that the computer is either very off or it is biased to whatever you did most recently on the tank. I have 85,000 miles and I have hand calculated every tank and I reset the trip ever time I fill up and without fail the computer is always biased towards whatever id did last. If you drive empty and then tow the tank avg on the computer will show low. If you tow and then drive empty hwy the tank average on the computer will show high. Mine as been as much as 4-5 mpg off and is almost always 1+ mpg high when I just have a full tank of empty commuting.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
69 mph is the sweet spot,

Id say your well on your way to catch me. Check out my thread on the battlefield for Range
It may be the sweet spot between pleasing you and not getting too bad a fuel mileage, but physics and wind resistance will quickly let you know that 69 mph is not your best fuel mileage.... but driving slow isn't fun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It may be the sweet spot between pleasing you and not getting too bad a fuel mileage, but physics and wind resistance will quickly let you know that 69 mph is not your best fuel mileage.... but driving slow isn't fun.
When you live on the freeway like i do 69 is the sweet spot, compared to going faster.

no one cares About physics and wind resistance, ( forgot to mention inclines/declines of roads)
Except of course for the Special Ed Engineers (but they are all Special)

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
23 Posts
These trucks (like most new vehicles) need to be driven for many hundreds of miles before the computer learns about you and the truck. It took mine the better part of 10k km before the computer and hand fill calcs were close enough to rely on the dash.

And no ..... despite what you wish for .... you won't get better fuel mileage by going faster.
MPG is calculated using the odometer and fuel used. The odometer Is required by law (I think) to be pretty accurate. I don't know what the CPU can learn about any mis-measurement of fuel usage.

·
Registered
758 Posts
MPG is calculated using the odometer and fuel used. The odometer Is required by law (I think) to be pretty accurate. I don't know what the CPU can learn about any mis-measurement of fuel usage.
Mine was probably upwards of 20,000km before the Evic and the hand calc's were close enough to rely on the Evic. This was in a 2016 that I ordered from the factory (not bought off the lot).

Any explanation why the Evic takes so long to match the hand calc's ?

In case you are wondering how compete my record keeping was .... I keep every receipt for each vehicle I own from new and every one has trip mileage, total mileage (as displayed), average displayed economy and average displayed speed.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Put smaller tires on or just wear down what you have. That gives you a smaller circumference, more wheel turning, faster speeds recorded and more mileage traveled than you actually go.

Now an optimistic fuel consumption might match what you didn't go. Just stay away from a good GPS and hand calculation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well this is my first fill up with the new truck. Although I am happy with the overall MPG ,I am not happy how off the dash is. Here is the results. Dash was saying 30mpg. Hand calculated was 26.2 which is great in my opinion. However I do wish the dash was closer. As far as my commute I have a 120 mile round trip everyday. 90% is all highway. I drive at about average 71mph but I will say for some reason the dash will read higher mpg if I do 75. So maybe my truck has a sweet spot. I am excited to get the 26.2 ,can’t wait to see what the future holds. Here is the picture of the dash and my fuel receipt so you all can see. View attachment 86365 View attachment 86365
Put smaller tires on or just wear down what you have. That gives you a smaller circumference, more wheel turning, faster speeds recorded and more mileage traveled than you actually go.

Now an optimistic fuel consumption might match what you didn't go. Just stay away from a good GPS and hand calculation.
I believe the dash average is based on a “rolling” set amount of miles. Something like a 50 mile average. I have almost 75k on my 2015 and my dash average rarely matches my hand calculation. Sometimes better and sometimes worse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts