RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had a 2016 and loved it, and now have a 2020 since 3 December 2019... one thing for sure, weather and road conditions is a major factor in attaining optimal miles per gallon.... someone mentioned sweet spots, yep, that's a fact... from experience, my 2016, a few times I hit 32 mpg, and I was driving like a tortoise... this new 2020, I have for a fact hit over 32, not once, but 3 times, mileage was figured manually and resetting Trip A... temps in the mid 60's, humidity and dew point were both down. and wind speed was from the rear... that grill is a huge parachute, and my tire pressure, I don't use the new tire pressures pasted to the door jam... they are way too low, so, if the tire says 51 max cold pressure, I load the pressure up to 49 for max roll... door jam says 36, which produces a great ride, but the tire will waller and actually reduce tire efficiency...run your truck at about 65, set the cruise and enjoy the ride... you'll get your mileage...and stay out of the hills, it's a drag on fuel mileage...and one other thing I forgot to mention, Hwy radials will perform better on hwy than A/T or mud and snows, and it takes more power to turn 20" tires and wheels, so, factory 18's in a hwy steel belt will be more efficient...

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
30 Posts
"Any explanation why the Evic takes so long to match the hand calc's ?

In case you are wondering how compete my record keeping was .... I keep every receipt for each vehicle I own from new and every one has trip mileage, total mileage (as displayed), average displayed economy and average displayed speed."

I admire your record keeping--I try to do almost as much. I am just baffled how the truck would know it was wrong; certainly it would not know what you calculated. It's easier for me to believe that the measurement of fuel usage changed a little bit with age/miles. If so, it could have gotten better or worse, but went in the right direction here. My 2018 Accord dash reading is usually 1.5 to 2.5 MPG high, and it seems like there should be a firmware correction factor that could be entered to bring it closer to reality. I haven't had the RAM long enough to see how it does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always run to 1/4 or 1/8 tank, then fill it completely up and reset the dash display. ALL my prior gas trucks and Jeeps have been spot-on or extremely close, within 0.3 MPG of being accurate.

This 2020 EcoDiesel is way off. Every tank has been 1.0 to 1.3 optimistic and I just filled it up again an hour ago and it was 2.0 MPG optimistic.

I'm about to install aftermarket wheels and tires on mine, so I will use my Tazer programmer to adjust my instruments and that should bring the dash MPG display closer to reality.
You have to take it consideration that when you fill it up and the temperature if warm outside you're going to get more foam in the tank than you would if you filled it up if it was colder outside and early in the morning you need to make sure that you're filling the tanks up exactly the same and yes down the road the overall hand mileage computed will be higher than the dash mileage because the dash is only 80% accurate anyhow being digital. it will take several thousand miles before it becomes around because the motor has to break in The more you drive it the better it will get. I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee with a 345 ratio two-wheel drive and I get almost 39 miles to the gallon with this averaging usually 36 to 38 mi to the gallon on an average and that's in the mountains and back down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have to take it consideration that when you fill it up and the temperature if warm outside you're going to get more foam in the tank than you would if you filled it up if it was colder outside and early in the morning you need to make sure that you're filling the tanks up exactly the same and yes down the road the overall hand mileage computed will be higher than the dash mileage because the dash is only 80% accurate anyhow being digital. it will take several thousand miles before it becomes around because the motor has to break in The more you drive it the better it will get. I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee with a 345 ratio two-wheel drive and I get almost 39 miles to the gallon with this averaging usually 36 to 38 mi to the gallon on an average and that's in the mountains and back down.
Uneven filling will average out over a few tanks. Digital calculations are not less accurate; analog calculations would not allow such precise measurements of fuel used. Hand-calculated mileage is not necessarily higher than dash mileage; it's the opposite in my two Hondas. The engine breaking in should not affect how the CPU measures fuel, which is the critical variable.

Great MPG for your Jeep. I don't know how common it is, but my Accords get better MPG in the mountains (round trip).

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well guys here is the results for my second tank of fuel. All I can say is awesome. I hope it keeps going up. Also Ilthis last tank of fuel I averaged 75mph vs my first tank 70mph. Numbers are on the picture
AF234267-CD0A-4BAF-BB67-15C33A924FFE.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 ED 3.92 33gal
80 Posts
You must drive on the worlds flattest roads👍👍👍

although 15hrs comes nowhere near 70-75mph

you fill up to early😂😂😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well guys here is the results for my second tank of fuel. All I can say is awesome. I hope it keeps going up. Also Ilthis last tank of fuel I averaged 75mph vs my first tank 70mph. Numbers are on the picture
That looks good--and possible, but you could have a little letdown over time. On my first tank, the dash # was 27.6, so I was thrilled to calculate 29.3. On the second tank, I calculated 22.45 (no dash #), so obviously the hose shut off early on the first tank. Hence, the need to average over several tanks to get an accurate figure. That is with a second gen, but the principle holds for all vehicles.
View attachment 86498

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Very true about the pumps. I plan on posting every fill up so everyone can follow along. Maybe just the first 10. That should be a good baseline average.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have another fill up. I wasn’t empty but fuel was cheap so I topped off. Looks like the dash is getting closer to actual just like you all said.
40B5FF26-F80A-45EA-9B28-C0DB03528B13.jpeg

·
Registered
90 Posts
On my 2015 Ecodiesel, I always thought the computer was off. However I did an experiment. I filled up at the same exact fuel pump, facing the same direction each time for five tanks straight. My hand calculations were within .3 mpg of the computer every time. Sometimes in favor of the truck, sometimes not. A slight angle can make a significant difference when refueling, as well as using a different pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my 2015 Ecodiesel, I always thought the computer was off. However I did an experiment. I filled up at the same exact fuel pump, facing the same direction each time for five tanks straight. My hand calculations were within .3 mpg of the computer every time. Sometimes in favor of the truck, sometimes not. A slight angle can make a significant difference when refueling, as well as using a different pump.
I have read on here before that the dash MPG (EVIC? what's that) is calculated over the last few hundred miles, not since the trip odometer was reset.. That would be odd, and seems unlikely given your consistency.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On my dash screen I can go to the fuel economy setting where it displays the fuel range. I would think that may be where some folks say the computer calculates the mpg over the last few hundred miles. What I am referring to is the “Trip A” and “Trip B” settings that record mpg for the length of the trip mileage. Just for the record, I have the Tradesman trim, perhaps it’s different for other trim levels.

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
Unless the new ones are changed that "Trip A" and Trip B" are the same as the main screen. Often I used to re-set one or both after some operation. Then, for a couple hundred miles, they would be different before again reading out the same thing. I always have a spare fuel tank so playing over hundreds of miles is easy and done often.

Try it. Mine always read the same after about 200 miles telling me the calculation is just the last couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes no question that's some great mileage hand calculated. During my time with my gen 2 I would get about 22 to 24 mpg range with 80/20 highway/city driving so looks like gen 3 is doing well. I can baby the EVIC and get it to display some optimistic numbers, as stated it only records driving habits for the past 200 miles. For example with my Hemi I can get it to show 12 liters per 100 km (19.6) for trip A for 59000 km (reset it when I took delivery of the dealer demo). Do you think that is accurate? LOL. If you want it to be more accurate just drive it a little harder right before the fill up.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts