RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a set of Bushwacker OE style fender flares to install on my 1500 Limited. When reviewing the installation instructions I find they install slightly different than the OEM style. There is a thin black rubber edge trim that goes on the edge of the flare that comes in contact with the fender. Consequently, when installed you will see about a 1/4 inch wide black trim. Has anyone installed the flares yet and does this edge trim detract from the appearance? My truck is the deep cherry red colour and I will have the flares painted to match.
For those of you who may have had them installed, do you think they will rub against the fender, causing a rub mark that would be visible if they were ever removed?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, they will leave a wear mark. I had them on a past truck and they rubbed a nice 1/4 in scuffed line in the paint. I would install 3m clear protector first if I were doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ram, why do you include fender flares going up the trim levels and then remove them for the limited-Why? Why? Why? (Just had to vent!)

I think they look good, but I probably won't add them to my limited, just wish they would have been included.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FYI... I recommend going with the factory flares if possible. The bushwacker OE style are huge compared to the OEM. If you're going for that look and have the big tires and offset wheels to match then they work, otherwise they stick out quite a bit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the Bushwacker OE style are about the same dimensions as the OEM flares, about 4" wide and they only add less than 1/2" of width. Bushwacker make a few different styles and you are probably thinking of the big clunky ones with the simulated bolt pattern.

I agree with Mike-NC, I wish they came from the factory.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's good they changed them, I was basing it on the "OE" ones I ordered for an 09. They were huge. Returned them and bought factory power wagon flares. I know what you're referring to though, they are pretty chunky. Looks like they may have toned them down for the 4th gen trucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts