RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy, but I have an itch to trade in my 2010 platinum tundra for a Ram EcoDiesel...

But I have many reservations, and was hoping to hear your input.

I love my tundra, outside of the 14mpg average. She has been good to me over the last 60k miles, but she's in need of new shocks, brakes and maybe some front end work.., rather than put more money into it, I'm tempted to make the jump.

First, I'm scared by the nameplate, and the Huge amounts or technology these new Rams have. I had a brand new 07 wrangler prior to my tundra, and it was in and out of the shop every 3 months (leaky roof, e-brake issues, dashboard issues, etc). I know fiat has taken over since, but can you consider these new trucks reliable? There is a ton of features that are new to this market:

Keyless ignition, air suspension, 8speed transmission....

And the fact that it has so many options at not a high premium is a tad scary too. So tell me: should I take a leap of faith?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well,thought I was crazy for buying a first year 3rd gen 2500 with the first year common rail Cummins. In fact the truck was one of the first to roll off the Mexican assembly line in August 2002. And yet it's been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

It's a gamble, but we live only once.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
You serious? That Toyota needs shocks, brakes and front-end work in 60K miles?

I have no respect for Jap products and the shame that goes with them but Toyota does have a reputation for longevity. Heck, every terrorist group in the Middle East mounts machine guns on them and beats the crap out of the things. That's a real surprise you had so much trouble. Their bad fuel mileage is a given. The other is a surprise.

As for your trepidation, read. Read through this forum and learn. I just moved from a Ram 2500 Cummins with over 214K miles. Still had original brakes and shocks. There are multiple stories like mine on the forums.

As for problems, here you can read about all of them. Probably in a couple minutes. My windshield washer doesn't work, someone had a loose water pump, one did manage to find a way to break his injector pump, heard of a bad taillight, door lock etc. It' has most always been tiny, silly things.

As for major engine, transmission and structural damage - hang around a while. You surely will find something among the tens of thousands that have been produced and sold.

In summation, there are no major issues that have come out yet. What has come out are lots and lots and lots of smiles.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Engine and trans have been I the Grand Cherokee for the past 3 years - proven, reliable.

The rest is mostly standard fare form the Chrysler parts bin. Uconnect is acknowledged to be the best in-car system on the road currently, but even the best will need updates every now and again.

The "truck" itself has won Truck f the Year honors the last two years, so it's solid and noteworthy, so say the automotive press.

Look at it this way: they produce 1050-ish RAM 1500s each day in just the Warren MI plant alone. Very few have issues - those that do pop up on the internet, but we're talking about, literally, maybe a dozen folks, within hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

It's actually not that big a gamble. no more so than any other vehicle on the road today, in fact. Fiat owning the company is a positive - their old reputation was for rust issues, not reliability. All that is old news by decades, and with the fresh cash, RAM trucks has been able to significantly upgrade things like interiors (super, super quiet and well appointed), frames (stiffer) and focus on more details - all while building a solid working truck.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
hi - can i tell you from first hand experience... i had an '11 Tundra Platinum, bought it brand new - loaded, crew cab. Sold it after 3 years because 12mpg was just horrendous.

drove home my brand new Laramie 1500 ED last night, air suspension, the works - and there's no comparison. i promise you, as someone who drove a Tundra everyday, including towing, who went through 3 complete front sets of brakes in under 34K miles, i can relate and assure you - the Ram is going to put a smile on your face. it is better, nicer, quieter, thousand times more efficient, just puts a smile on my face sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The basic Ram 1500 has changed little over the last few years since I bought my 2012. The big changes of course are the Ecodiesel and the German transmission. The factory that makes the engine has been in the business for years, making diesels for the European market so I feel comfortable with them. I don't know that much about the tranny other than it is smooooth.

This is my 3rd consecutive Ram, I love them and haven't had a single belch or hiccup in the previous two trucks. I doubt I will with the diesel.

Take the leap. Take comfort in knowing you are covered by a 5 year, 60,000 mike warranty.

·
Registered
360 Posts
And the transmission guys (ZF) have been making this transmission for multiple high end cars for years now with few complaints. Add in the fact they make a good number of race transmissions and I'll feel comfortable saying problems are few and far between. There was a recall for under 300 trucks that have a mounting or bolt error, may not stay in park and have been roll away problems but FCA is replacing them completely with all new transmissions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand the motor trend rankings... The Ram engineers definitely wanted to make a statement with all of the features they added.

As for the tundra... I don't think shocks and brakes are a huge deal at 60k. The fuel economy isn't terrible for a 380hp motor... But 20-30mpg does sound damn tempting.

I think my main worries are the JD power initial quality rankings, and ram resale values. I'm a damn picky person when it comes to cars/trucks and I notice every flaw.

I just get worried... I'd hate to add 4 more years of truck payments for a truck that may be problem prone. The transmission part reassures me though...

I'd love to hear more input!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Worried about Ram resale value? Have you looked up what 3rd gen Cummins trucks are going for? These ED trucks, while costing more up front than Hemis/Pentastars, will hold their value better.

If you have reservations, fix your Toyota and give it some time to see how these trucks really work out. Ford is coming out with a new F150 next year with a smaller 2.7 EcoBoost, which is nothing like the 3.5; Nissan might have some Cummins offerings..etc. The next few years are going to get interesting in the truck world, Ram beat everyone to the punch, however.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I usually take JD Power like I do Consumer Reports, use them to start a fire cause they definitely don't reflect what I've read and found from owners. My mom's 540 has been almost flawless for 14 years and the year of purchase Consumer's ranked it almost last and recommended a FWD Saab or Volvo over it. As for JD Power, Volvo below average and Porsche and BMW with the average?? And somehow Mini gets full marks but BMW get 3 of 5? They are the SAME dealers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The warranty is reassuring, but I will have to drive 45minutes to the dealer. And while my experience with the jeep was decent at the dealer going in-between oil changes was a hassle.

I do agree, the next few years for trucks will be verrrrry interesting...

I dropped my tundra off at the dealer to look at the front end. If it's anything the warranty won't cover, there's an excellent chance I'll roll the dice and see if I can't order a new ram.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Pretty much everything has been proven... The engine and after treatment in the grand Cherokee, plus the engine has been around in Europe for a few years. The transmission has been around in the ram for a model year already with no issues im aware of. Your call, I trusted it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a 2000 Cummins and put 400k on it. Everything in the cab of that truck was original, all the buttons, switches, locks and window motors. The only issue was the dash cracking and falling in which was a defect and when that truck was nine years old Chrysler paid the labor to replace the dash top I paid for the top. The front end lasted 220k miles, one clutch, two sets of brakes and three shock changes. My last truck was a 2012 Cummins and it gave me no trouble in the two years I owned it. Ram has proved itself to me over the years. The ED is European and those folks are way ahead of the States as far a light duty diesels. VM Motori has a solid reputation and has been in business for many years. The tranny is German and has a solid reputation as well and is in very high end luxury cars.

I guess I should add to this, I have over 3600 miles on my ED with ZERO issues so far. Darn thing runs like a top and the mileage is between 26 and 28 m.p.g.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I purchased a 2005 Magnum RT and sold it with 59K miles on it. It was never in the shop. I then purchased a 2007 Ram 2500 TD, 90K miles never in the shop.
Just sold my 2010 Laramie with 75K miles, only in shop once for minor issue. Let that be your guide!!!

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Gizzygone...Don't make any payments. Pay cash for it and be done with the whole issue.

If a 45 minute drive is most unpleasant to go to a dealer, get something else from a closer dealer. Then when you return often for repairs using more fuel per mile, you might feel better. One of the problems many of us have is we like the trucks so much a 45 minute ride is not long enough, we get so much enjoyment out of taking a ride in one. We may all want to find dealers farther away and hope something breaks.

Like oh so many stated after me - no major issues have surfaced yet.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Over the next few months, I will be relocating ~150 miles from my dealer. I get 1/2 price oil changes for life. I'll drive back, see my granddaughter, and head another 20 miles to my dealer. At 25 - 27 MPG, the half price oil change pays for the diesel to come see her. They will be the only folks who work on it unless it's something minor. Why? Because at the end of the day, I bought the truck there and I expect them to stand behind me better than another dealer. I knew about the move when I bought the truck. Didn't bother looking near by where I was moving.

We've seen many posts from Lookie Lou's on this forum. With questions such as, "is the engine a dog?". "If I can't get the 3.92 rear end on the model I want, I'm not buying it." And, "it's not a Cummins." Or, the even BIGGER concern, "the engine is made in Italy." People have angst because Chrysler took the bailout. (though it was not Fiat behind that initial move) Anyway, on and on and on and on.

I've never owned a full size pickup that wasn't a Ford. This truck is as comfortable as my fully loaded Chrysler 300. It's a $50K+ truck and people slam their #$#@& doors into it because it's just a truck. (anger) I love the torque, the fuel mileage and the performance. Even though I have a 3.55 rear end. :)

There are many others that feel the same way. Read what we post, make a decision. Buy one or don't buy one. Me personally, I don't want to be responsible for ANYONE of the forum's purchasing decision. To the OP, please don't take these comments personally, they're not directed at you but to EVERYONE trying to make a decision. At the end of the day, buy what makes sense to you and for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The basic Ram 1500 has changed little over the last few years since I bought my 2012. The big changes of course are the Ecodiesel and the German transmission. The factory that makes the engine has been in the business for years, making diesels for the European market so I feel comfortable with them. I don't know that much about the tranny other than it is smooooth.

This is my 3rd consecutive Ram, I love them and haven't had a single belch or hiccup in the previous two trucks. I doubt I will with the diesel.

Take the leap. Take comfort in knowing you are covered by a 5 year, 60,000 mike warranty.
The warranty is a 5 Year/ 100,000 mile

·
Registered
118 Posts
Over the next few months, I will be relocating ~150 miles from my dealer. I get 1/2 price oil changes for life. I'll drive back, see my granddaughter, and head another 20 miles to my dealer. At 25 - 27 MPG, the half price oil change pays for the diesel to come see her. They will be the only folks who work on it unless it's something minor. Why? Because at the end of the day, I bought the truck there and I expect them to stand behind me better than another dealer. I knew about the move when I bought the truck. Didn't bother looking near by where I was moving.

We've seen many posts from Lookie Lou's on this forum. With questions such as, "is the engine a dog?". "If I can't get the 3.92 rear end on the model I want, I'm not buying it." And, "it's not a Cummins." Or, the even BIGGER concern, "the engine is made in Italy." People have angst because Chrysler took the bailout. (though it was not Fiat behind that initial move) Anyway, on and on and on and on.

I've never owned a full size pickup that wasn't a Ford. This truck is as comfortable as my fully loaded Chrysler 300. It's a $50K+ truck and people slam their #$#@& doors into it because it's just a truck. (anger) I love the torque, the fuel mileage and the performance. Even though I have a 3.55 rear end. :)

There are many others that feel the same way. Read what we post, make a decision. Buy one or don't buy one. Me personally, I don't want to be responsible for ANYONE of the forum's purchasing decision. To the OP, please don't take these comments personally, they're not directed at you but to EVERYONE trying to make a decision. At the end of the day, buy what makes sense to you and for you.

Someone once said to me that's it's just a truck when he slammed his car door into my new truck. I slammed his head it his car door. Sorry temper temper. Bet he will apologies to the next guy he does that to.

Reactions: sledogmilionair

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wouldn’t really be worried about “Chrysler quality”, I ‘m not sure why some people think Chrysler has quality issues. All vehicles are engineered and built by people going to work, things change over time for better and worse.

I guess it takes just as long for people to realize a company with a “good reputation” can start making crappy vehicles as it does for a company with a “bad reputation” to start making good vehicles.
I know folks who are brand loyal and forgive any issues they have with their brand, while still thinking other brands are junk.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts