RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I apologize for starting a post right out of the gate, but I'm really in need of some help. Before I even start I just want to thank everyone/anyone in advance for their insight and help.
I'm in the market for a new truck and have decided that I think it's time to finally look for that pickup I've always wanted. There really isn't any need for me to go on about why I chose to look at Rams because they obviously speak for themselves across the board not to mention the ecodiesel.

Really my problem is that I know absolutely nothing about diesels. Iv'e never had one not did I ever think one would be a possibility. My knowledge of diesels pretty much starts and ends with the fact you need to fill your tank up about once a month. Other than that I'm lost. Maintenance costs? Reliability? Durability issues with the ecodiesel? CEL light coming on after a few 1000 miles? etc

The more Iv'e done my HW of these trucks, they almost seem to good to be true. I asked my mechanic this morning what he's heard about them and unfortunately he really didn't have much to say. All he offered me was that the Fords and Chevys are having a lot of problems and there are more of them in dealer lots and in garages than on the road. He said he didn't know much about RAM, but I should really do some more research he suggested. He basically said that parts are hard to come by, there are computer issues, and nobody really knows how to fix them bc they are new that once you are out of your warranty it's real risky. Of course he added that with the price of diesel going up the savings aren't really going to be what I think they are.

Sorry to ramble on here guys, but I'm just looking for any help you can offer. I guess the thought of buying a new truck that hasn't been on the market long is wearing on me, especially when my diesel knowledge is a joke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that I hold on to vehicles for a pretty long time. My Xterra right now is 14 years old so I'm looking long term here. This isn't a truck I'm going to have for a couple of years and turn around and get something new. This is going to be with me for a while.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you can drive a gas powered truck you can drive the Ecodiesel.

Oil changes are expensive but you do an oil change about every 10,000 miles. So it averages out to what you'd pay for 3 oil changes if you did 3,000 mile intervals like I did.

The Hemi should burn mid grade fuel. When I filled up on diesel at Sheetz 2 days ago diesel was $3.799 thanks to North Carolina's high taxes. The mid grade was 3.749. My Hemi would average 17 mpg (being very generous) and the EcoD got me 26 mpg. That's a big savings even with the higher diesel costs. Come trade in time the diesel will be worth more.

The truck comes with a 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty the first 3/36,000 miles are bumper to bumper. So I have no worries.

I don't know where you live but in many areas the dealers are providing 4 free oil changes. So I'm not paying for one until I hit 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Start by defining what you need your truck to do. List out everything that's important, then drive all trucks to see what might fit. It's clear you already know your asking about an apples to eggs comparison around the two engines, so no need to beat on that.

Diesels tend to be reliable as a default. Modifying them can change that as many a person has discovered. That said, they are tough by design and to really step into harms way, you have to mod a lot, for big power gains.

Fuel economy is a no brainer. Diesel wins hands down.

Towing, again, diesel wins.

Longevity? Well, diesels generally just go longer...more miles, more work, etc.

OUR diesels are relatively new, and with that come instances of angst. Is that any different that Ford with the EcoBoost? And the stats point out RAM is about average for issues, despite what you see in forums.

OUR exhaust systems are more complex than those of a gas engine, so some of us hedge our bets with extended warranties in case an expensive part fails down the road...while others laugh at us.

OUR oil changes are generally more expensive, and you have to buy DEF fluid periodically for that fancy exhaust system to do its job and help the truck meet emissions standards. (DEF = diesel exhaust fluid! which is a refined form of urea! which is essentially cat pee...no joke. But don't try to declump you cat's litter to extract the pee and save a few dollars...won't work.)

Look at overall running costs when comparing diesel to gas rigs. Gas may be cheaper, and diesel more expensive. But you travel further on a gallon of diesel. Oil changes cost more, initial purchase price is higher and you gotta buy kitty whiz from time to time (conservatively, about ever 6k miles).

Depending on how you drive, mileage per year and so on, this math might see you recouping that initial higher cost in 3 years or so. Likely a bit longer for most folks.

And let's not forget, some people just love diesels. I'm one. :) that's actually worth something to me...as is the almost 700 miles I see on a fill up when road tripping, and the steady ~30 MPGs my 6560 pound, fully loaded luxury truck that can still haul my motorcycles is capable of delivering. A recent 1000 mile trip saw me stop for fuel twice, average 30+ MPG before hitting the mountains, where I still managed better than 24 MPGs. This has a real effect on my cost of travel compared to my old gas engined truck.

Oh, and welcome to the community! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The posts above and the posts below will all provide a lot of great information for you to consider, most tend to forget the one main feature that finally made me decide to get the ecodiesel over the hemi.

-The ecodiesel should provide significantly less negative impact on our environment. It is the best option currently available while still being able to tow my 8000lb travel trailer. It was the thought of how I wanted to leave this world for my children and grandchildren that finally gave me clarity on which engine to purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the help guys. I just feel like I could be getting in over my head because of my lack of knowledge. I guess I'm almost looking for a reason not to go with the ecodiesel if that makes sense at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look at it this way. How much did you know about a gas engine when you got/bought your first one? Also, how much do you need to know day to day in order to drive one?

Once you have one, you will be in a better position to learn about it.

I've never owned a diesel either, but I came to a realization that if I went with a Hemi I would be regretting it every time I drove it and knew that I could be getting so much better mileage with the EcoD.

Planning on getting a '15 at the end of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your thinking too hard. Get it, drive it, have fun...life's too short to marry your truck, that's why you get buried with it!

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I would offer a couple comments as follows-

1-If your nature is to buy a vehicle and use it up a diesel is for you. If you want to trade every few years probably not.
2-If you live in an area where salt induced corrosion is not a problem and you intend to use the vehicle up before trading then probably yes.
3-If you put on 20,000 to 30,000 miles a year probably yes for the diesel even if you live in a salty environment.
4-If you live in the Northland and do not drive to much and want a diesel that is fine as long as you spend the time and effort to do things to rustproof your vehicle.
5-If you buy a high trim truck and love the truck and want to keep it for a long time and do things to solve the rust problem then the diesel makes sense.
6-If you are looking for the lowest cost alternative for a work truck then your best economic decision will be the V6 gas engine.

My 2 cents worth

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
if i can also offer this - don't worry about being "new to diesels" or "getting in over your head". these are not the diesels of the '80s, heck even of the '90's or early 2000s. this is an incredibly modern engine that has been in use by a very reputable/reliable manufacturer. Ram is committed to this platform to the point of requesting VM (who supplies the engine) to increase their production capacity by nearly 50% over the next 18 months.

the transmission is a thing of beauty, german engineered, and is used in MBZ, BMW, Audi, Rolls Royce and soon in the Challenger - its also used in the Hemi.

i spent so long reading before i drove the Ecodiesel. I was so convinced what it would be like and that it would not be 'enough truck' - i was so wrong (as i publicly stated on this very forum). honestly at this point i'd have to ask you this - why would you want to buy a Hemi instead of the Ecodiesel because honestly, there's hardly anything i can think of that the Hemi is better at...

·
Registered
391 Posts
^^ what he said. especially with how long you keep your trucks. I think the ecodiesel is right up your alley

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I appreciate the help guys. I just feel like I could be getting in over my head because of my lack of knowledge. I guess I'm almost looking for a reason not to go with the ecodiesel if that makes sense at all.
Many of us here are new to owning a diesel. I shunned them for many years because they were too dirty and loud. New diesels like this one fix those problems, and unless you pay attention they sound and drive much like their gas counterparts. They are expensive up front but payback is generally in the 3 to 5-year range, and in the meantime you will enjoy amazing power and fuel economy--two things that usually do not go together. There are many early discussions about diesel versus gas, so if you want to browse back several months you may learn something.

Many owners of the EcoDiesel have reported problems, a few of them serious enough to put the truck in the shop for days. No question that these are complicated machines, but that is not unique to Ram. Consumer surveys show that the entire auto industry is struggling with high-tech features and with parts supplies. I do recommend that you have a dealer within reasonable distance, talk to their service department and check out reviews.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Here are the top 5 reasons to NOT own a diesel:

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -

There, now don't you feel better? Place your order this weekend. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great information guys, much appreciated.

Iv'e seen a few of you mention salt and rust. I live on the South Shore of Long Island in NY, so salt from the ocean and winter weather are concerns here, but Iv'e never had rust issues with a vehicle before. Are rams prone to rust in these conditions?

Also, well maybe I should say unfortunately.... the price of diesel here ranges from about 4.20 - 4.40 a gallon, which definitely will cut in on some of the gas savings. 87 is about 3.80 - 3.95 a gallon, which is what Iv'e always put in my xterra with no issues. I'm seeing that 89 is preferred grade for the hemi's and thats ranging in the 4.00 to 4.17 mark.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Great information guys, much appreciated.

Iv'e seen a few of you mention salt and rust. I live on the South Shore of Long Island in NY, so salt from the ocean and winter weather are concerns here, but Iv'e never had rust issues with a vehicle before. Are rams prone to rust in these conditions?

Also, well maybe I should say unfortunately.... the price of diesel here ranges from about 4.20 - 4.40 a gallon, which definitely will cut in on some of the gas savings. 87 is about 3.80 - 3.95 a gallon, which is what Iv'e always put in my xterra with no issues. I'm seeing that 89 is preferred grade for the hemi's and thats ranging in the 4.00 to 4.17 mark.
Rust - no more issue than with any other modern vehicle. Might look into rustproofing, and there are threads here about just that topic with a WIDE range of OPINIONS tossed in. ;) (Thread 1,Thread 2 and Thread 3)

Fuel prices - didn't I just read in the news they expect gas prices to drop next month due to crude prices dropping? Yes...yes I did. :) (Though I suspect they'll keep diesel jacked up...you know, just to keep gouging in fair use...LOL)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gas trucks typically hold up better with stop and go driving while diesels perform on long highway trips. I would recommend the hemi for a corner store grocery getter and a 5 mile commute. If you are driving 25k+ miles a year then I would recommend the diesel. The diesel should also hold the resale value at high miles due to historically running forever. The rest of the components where at just the same. You take a chance on any first run vehicle and this one is no different. Just know its really only a smaller lighter weight version of technology that has been around for a long time. I trust it more than displacement on demand or hybrids. Aside from all that, there are always diesel fans and this truck isn't a typical 3/4 ton with heavy components. It will remain to be seen how they hold up on short commutes and overall. Seems like a lot of the problems I am reading about are typical to all 1500's and not just the ed. Mostly electrical gremlins or leaking 8 speeds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you run less than 25k a year, buy the Hemi.

If you will get frustrated with multiple dealer service department visits, buy a Hemi.

The new diesel emission systems are extremely complicated and are full of sensors and parts that will fail when compared to a gas engine.

I went into this knowing there would be issues based on my experience with commercial inline 4 VM engines. Based on my annual mileage the fuel savings out weighed the issues. It appears there are currently parts availability issues. This will be a temporary problem. Just trying to be honest. I am sure I will get roasted by others who have not experienced issues. It is early and time will tell........

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't agree with the generic if you drive less than 25k a year buy a hemi statement. For instance, if you only drive 5-10k a year but its all towing, get the diesel. The only situation where I'd say you really shouldn't buy the diesel is if you primarily just run around town. No bueno on the aftertreatment. I guarantee most of the people buying these don't need it for the towing, or are buying solely for fuel savings, or value retention. Its because we want them and we can afford them lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts