RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to find historic NADA values? My truck has been at the dealer since mid Nov. At that time once finding out about the buyback provision in the Consent Decree being tied to NADA Clean Retail, I look mine up with options and it priced at $28,050, unfortunately I didn't print it out. I have since printed out 2 more valuations and have watched it drop down to $27,150 today. I'd like to know what this valuation was prior to the EGR and AEM recalls. Nor sure it's really going to make any difference as I'm sure FCA will drag their feet on this long enough to see the values fall off a cliff. Here is the wording in the settlement........(my bolding)

“Buyback,” for purposes of Paragraph 45.d of this Consent Decree only, means the return of an
Eligible Vehicle by an Eligible Owner to Defendants, in exchange for a payment that
equals or exceeds the National Automobile Dealers Association (“NADA”) Clean Retail value of the
Eligible Vehicle
(adjusted for options, mileage, and NADA region in accordance with the then-current
NADA guide) at the time the vehicle title is surrendered by the Eligible Owner and the Eligible Vehicle
is re-acquired by Defendants pursuant to the requirements of Paragraph 45.d of this Consent Decree

·
Registered
732 Posts
Is there a way to find historic NADA values? My truck has been at the dealer since mid Nov. At that time once finding out about the buyback provision in the Consent Decree being tied to NADA Clean Retail, I look mine up with options and it priced at $28,050, unfortunately I didn't print it out. I have since printed out 2 more valuations and have watched it drop down to $27,150 today. I'd like to know what this valuation was prior to the EGR and AEM recalls. Nor sure it's really going to make any difference as I'm sure FCA will drag their feet on this long enough to see the values fall off a cliff. Here is the wording in the settlement........(my bolding)

“Buyback,” for purposes of Paragraph 45.d of this Consent Decree only, means the return of an
Eligible Vehicle by an Eligible Owner to Defendants, in exchange for a payment that
equals or exceeds the National Automobile Dealers Association (“NADA”) Clean Retail value of the
Eligible Vehicle
(adjusted for options, mileage, and NADA region in accordance with the then-current
NADA guide) at the time the vehicle title is surrendered by the Eligible Owner and the Eligible Vehicle
is re-acquired by Defendants pursuant to the requirements of Paragraph 45.d of this Consent Decree
Just using quotes from Carvana website, mine went down from 33k to now at 27k in the last 4 months. Carvana doesnt need much more than your license plate so it's really quick to get a quote. As far as buyback goes, I've heard of one guy that was offered a buy back but he had to get another FCA vehicle. That's not gonna happen with me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomphot, what is the status of your buyback? Has FCA made an offer?
They haven't even got the "new" (Actually old design) EGR cooler installed yet (FCA guy told me I should have it back a few days ago). Once they get that done, I was told they would send a field rep to inspect the old parts. I haven't said anything about buyback yet as I'm assuming that will move this up to a whole other level. I want them to admit that the part failed and acknowledge that the truck was sitting for 6 weeks. At that point I will ask for the buyback.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see. I am in a similar situation though my truck has only been at the dealer since 12/14. I may seek a buyback though I’m not certain I want to. Forgive me, but I have a couple specific questions...
1. Has the dealer received the new (old) EGR cooler?
2. Have you considered that once they get the repair complete FCA will be less likely to offer a buyback?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. Has the dealer received the new (old) EGR cooler?
2. Have you considered that once they get the repair complete FCA will be less likely to offer a buyback?
I’ve been told that they do have the parts needed, bushings were the last to come in.
As the buyback provision is clearly spelled out in the settlement, they must do it IMO and that of the settlement lawyers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I’ve been told that they do have the parts needed, bushings were the last to come in.
As the buyback provision is clearly spelled out in the settlement, they must do it IMO and that of the settlement lawyers.
I was told my bushings would be in December 30th. The service department hasn't gotten my truck back together yet, as they only have one diesel tech. Day 58 for me, 65 overall. Still no word on my buyback.

From NADA's website:

How do I obtain an archive (historical) value from a previous month or year?
NADAguides has an extensive reference library, and it offers archive values for automobiles, classic cars, powersports (motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, and snowmobiles), manufactured homes, boats, and recreation vehicles. The fee for this service is $100.00 per archive value, and it must be prepaid.

Provided we have the necessary information in our reference library to complete your archive value request, processing time is within two business days. Archive values will be sent to you via email, fax, or mail.

If you are interested in obtaining an archive value, please email your request to [email protected].

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told my bushings would be in December 30th. The service department hasn't gotten my truck back together yet, as they only have one diesel tech. Day 58 for me, 65 overall. Still no word on my buyback.
We're on the same timeline it appears. I decided to not push the buyback right away for fear that they would do everything possible to make sure they have findings that the leak was not covered under the settlement warranty. I also figured that they wouldn't move forward on anything until the repair was done and they could have the failed part as proof that the leak was in the EGR.
It also appears that we have lost about $5,000 in value since this whole AEM and EGR issue started.

·
Registered
732 Posts
We're on the same timeline it appears. I decided to not push the buyback right away for fear that they would do everything possible to make sure they have findings that the leak was not covered under the settlement warranty. I also figured that they wouldn't move forward on anything until the repair was done and they could have the failed part as proof that the leak was in the EGR.
It also appears that we have lost about $5,000 in value since this whole AEM and EGR issue started.
If it's been 30 days you qualify for lemon law, buyback whatever

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
This recall has been brutal on resale value. All the more reason I am happy to have it bought back. I am still covered under lemon law, so all I had to worry about were business days. 20 business days is lemon law in NC, I called them at 30 and asked to start the buyback. I am at 43 right now. I have now made three truck payments in the time they have had my Ram this time. And I still have a Jeep Renegade to drive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’m in the opposite situation.... my dealer got the bushings in less than a week. They can’t get the EGR cooler though and said that it could be weeks or months before they get one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This recall has been brutal on resale value. All the more reason I am happy to have it bought back. I am still covered under lemon law, so all I had to worry about were business days. 20 business days is lemon law in NC, I called them at 30 and asked to start the buyback.
I read all the fine print about what a Day is in the Settlement. Amazingly enough, it’s actually a real day!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Amazing, isn't it Tom? I had to have that argument with the DC lawyer in arbitration.

Doug, I will update as things happen. I am going through a lawyer out of Raleigh for the Toyota. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of lemon law attorneys in the state.
A couple bargaining chips you have are legal fees and the loss of value the vehicle will have with a lemon title. The loss of value is about 20% of retail value. Attorney fees average about $350 an hour for lemon law attorneys, and a "basic" lemon law proceeding is about 20 hours of billable time. So figure $7000 for legal fees. Plus whatever legal fees FCA will incur on their side.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Amazing, isn't it Tom? I had to have that argument with the DC lawyer in arbitration.

Doug, I will update as things happen. I am going through a lawyer out of Raleigh for the Toyota. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of lemon law attorneys in the state.
A couple bargaining chips you have are legal fees and the loss of value the vehicle will have with a lemon title. The loss of value is about 20% of retail value. Attorney fees average about $350 an hour for lemon law attorneys, and a "basic" lemon law proceeding is about 20 hours of billable time. So figure $7000 for legal fees. Plus whatever legal fees FCA will incur on their side.
I assume those fees are covered by FCA? Meaning FCA would want to avoid paying their and your legal fees, and they'd have to eat the reduced value of the truck once its been through an official buyback and they have to sell it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I assume those fees are covered by FCA? Meaning FCA would want to avoid paying their and your legal fees, and they'd have to eat the reduced value of the truck once its been through an official buyback and they have to sell it?
Exactly. Most states require the manufacturer to pay legal fees, with very few exceptions.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The recent drop in value is attributed to the fact that the new 2020 are on the floor, IMHO...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
When I sold my VW back to them they used the value from the day the issue was discovered. I was allowed to drive it over a year before they actually got it and it was all on their dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The recent drop in value is attributed to the fact that the new 2020 are on the floor, IMHO...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I didn’t see 4th Generation Cummins drop a dime when the Updated Cummins came out last year?

I believe resale values could have taken a drop because..
1.Engines are known to spin bearings since introduced in 2014 -2018 MY’s
2. FCA Installed cheat device’s to help out Engine / Emissions system...
3. Quite a few folks aren’t happy with new AEM flash, apparently lawsuit’s in near future?
4. EcoDiesel’s are spontaneous combustion vehicles, folks apparently seem to be actually afraid for families safety?
5. FCA acknowledgement about EcoDiesel Fires with a newly designed EGR not yet available? Apparently a no resale? For Ram dealerships?
6. FCA announcement a newly designed 2020 EcoDiesel engine with 80 percent new parts?
7.Maybe here’s the low resale values ? FCA acknowledgement the prior EcoDiesel years has issues? I think #6 might be hurting older EcoDiesel sales ? So maybe I could be wrong about a new model year hurting older model EcoDiesel ‘s that spin bearings/ catch fire / Ram dealerships seem to be hesitate about taking them in for trades? No parts available to fix them ,so dealerships don’t have to sit on them ?
I am not a troll , I absolutely Loved my EcoDiesel for the 2 years of ownership.. I also enjoy driving my vehicles long distances with confidence... Like so many other Folks....
8. GDE warned the early EcoDiesel owners about the F” UP EGR design, Once they showed the clogging effects in the intake, I purchased my tune within 2 weeks of the GDE tune being released....
9. Maybe FCA is to blame for poor resale values? :unsure: IDK ?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts