RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SFT Stage 2 is not refined for cold weather use (under 30 degrees F). The truck throws a CEL on startup for a split second causing the engine to stall (drops 300-500 rpm). The CEL will also kill remote start. They don’t know how to fix it (it’s been 3 winters with no fix). As the weather is warming up, they told me a fix will be coming soon—I highly doubt that.

Also, when under 25% throttle position, the truck will close down the VGT to near 90% causing a high boost condition that can exceed 30 psi at 80mph (cruise control not towing flat ground). Then, when your throttle is near 25%, your boost level will be erratic jumping from less than 10 psi to over 20 with small changes in throttle (hard to tell unless you pay close attention to your truck but I would prefer my turbo not to over-spool unless I choose to get on it). They told me it is designed to do this…

I found a used GDE Supertune. Every aspect of the tune is superior to SFT (drivability, mpg, power, etc). Additionally, I tried out EcoUSA for a time and no matter what you want to say about Randy, his tune is far superior to SFT (actually starts properly and doesn’t have erratic boost).

Couple other notes; SFT has very little torque below 2,500 rpm compared to GDE and EcoUSA and gets poor MPG.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
945 Posts
Basics of tuning, botched tunes always have something in common, vgt not setup correctly,, when you just block the codes for egr, turbo is closing the vanes to push more egr towards the intake. I have the GDE hot tune and no regrets. Just got rid of my egr cooler too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t think they just block the egr codes. The VGT is fully variable when throttle position is above 25% (and the truck operates correctly during those times). They told me they create the high boost scenario at low throttle on purpose for better MPG. Not a bad idea, however the execution was beyond horrible.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
I don’t think they just block the egr codes. The VGT is fully variable when throttle position is above 25% (and the truck operates correctly during those times). They told me they create the high boost scenario at low throttle on purpose for better MPG. Not a bad idea, however the execution was beyond horrible.
whomever told them that high boost at light load is good for fuel economy does not understand pumping losses. More air is not always good, having the right mass air flow is important for fuel economy for a given load/rpm. Sometimes lower boost returns better fuel economy, it relates to drive pressure. These types of tunes will hurt engine longevity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having the same issue with them, have a ticket in with them for the last 5 months for the second year in a row. Was told last year (when after warmer weather rolled around) the fix they sent me resolved the issue. Low and behold the issue was not resolved.

I too have been having the same turbo issue as well, thought maybe it was maybe something happening to my turbo but sounds like it must be normal.

I've been happy with the Tune other than that so far. It's been much better than stock, other than the not being able to remote start.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 262,000 KM.
2,114 Posts
These issues discussed with no resolution shows me how shitty of a tuner they must be. SFT should be avoided if they can't fix problems with their own tune.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Sometimes lower boost returns better fuel economy, it relates to drive pressure. These types of tunes will hurt engine longevity.
Ya'll might want to reread this, the man knows what he's talking about. Don't dismiss that turbo issue like you're dismissing the cold-weather issues.

Reactions: 7milesup

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Also have SFT tune and even the stage 1 tune has the same cold weather start up issue. I actually brought this to there attention years ago. I wanted to get a GDE tune and the day I went to purchase was the first day they were not on line. there was alot of uncertainty at the time whether GDE was going to be back or not so I bought the SFT tune. The first winter I took a video of the start up issue and sent it to SFT. At first they tried to tell me it was my truck but after several emails and conversations I finally got through to them that it was there tune. I am pretty sure I was the guinea pig for this issue. I finally talked to the owner who was very polite and began to explain that they had new techs that would figure this out. In the next two winters I received over 6 new updated tunes and they all had the same problem. I finally got tired of constantly reflashing my truck so I just gave up and have not used the remote start in the winter. I have the tranny and engine tune and like the way the truck performs except for that problem. I do notice that I do not get good gas milage and the truck goes in regen alot. I will be calling GDE to talk with them but understand they no longer do an egr delete? The main reason I got a tune was to get rid of that and the terrible lag. I have a 2018 and if anyone has an old GDE tune they want to sell please let me know!

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I Also have SFT tune and even the stage 1 tune has the same cold weather start up issue. I actually brought this to there attention years ago. I wanted to get a GDE tune and the day I went to purchase was the first day they were not on line. there was alot of uncertainty at the time whether GDE was going to be back or not so I bought the SFT tune. The first winter I took a video of the start up issue and sent it to SFT. At first they tried to tell me it was my truck but after several emails and conversations I finally got through to them that it was there tune. I am pretty sure I was the guinea pig for this issue. I finally talked to the owner who was very polite and began to explain that they had new techs that would figure this out. In the next two winters I received over 6 new updated tunes and they all had the same problem. I finally got tired of constantly reflashing my truck so I just gave up and have not used the remote start in the winter. I have the tranny and engine tune and like the way the truck performs except for that problem. I do notice that I do not get good gas milage and the truck goes in regen alot. I will be calling GDE to talk with them but understand they no longer do an egr delete? The main reason I got a tune was to get rid of that and the terrible lag. I have a 2018 and if anyone has an old GDE tune they want to sell please let me know!
Them telling you it's your truck should have been a huge red flag. And a frequent regen means they don't have a clean combustion cycle, so you've likely got a heavy soot load in your oil. Not good for the motor.

GDE's current emissions compliant tune will be 200% better than that garbage you're running now.

There are a few pre-ban GDE tuned ECM's floating around on this forum for sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a used GDE Supertune. Every aspect of the tune is superior to SFT (drivability, mpg, power, etc). Additionally, I tried out EcoUSA for a time and no matter what you want to say about Randy, his tune is far superior to SFT (actually starts properly and doesn’t have erratic boost).
How did you get the GDE Supertune you found to work with your specific truck? I recently had to do a full delete due to mechanical issues and switched from the GDE stage one tune to the SFT tune and am unhappy with it as well. I still have the ECM with the old GDE hot tune on it but it only shut down the EGR, do you know of a way to update the GDE tune to stage 2?

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
How did you get the GDE Supertune you found to work with your specific truck? I recently had to do a full delete due to mechanical issues and switched from the GDE stage one tune to the SFT tune and am unhappy with it as well. I still have the ECM with the old GDE hot tune on it but it only shut down the EGR, do you know of a way to update the GDE tune to stage 2?
Welcome to the forum.

There is no way to convert your stage 1 ecm to a stage 2. You'll have to find a used stage 2 ecm or get a tune from a reputable tuner like Home | Ecodiesel Owners Canada

If you find a used ECM you only have to update your VIN and injector codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SFT Stage 2 is not refined for cold weather use (under 30 degrees F). The truck throws a CEL on startup for a split second causing the engine to stall (drops 300-500 rpm). The CEL will also kill remote start. They don’t know how to fix it (it’s been 3 winters with no fix). As the weather is warming up, they told me a fix will be coming soon—I highly doubt that.

Also, when under 25% throttle position, the truck will close down the VGT to near 90% causing a high boost condition that can exceed 30 psi at 80mph (cruise control not towing flat ground). Then, when your throttle is near 25%, your boost level will be erratic jumping from less than 10 psi to over 20 with small changes in throttle (hard to tell unless you pay close attention to your truck but I would prefer my turbo not to over-spool unless I choose to get on it). They told me it is designed to do this…

Couple other notes; SFT has very little torque below 2,500 rpm compared to GDE and EcoUSA and gets poor MPG.
What is considered poor gas mileage?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts