RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go the MOPAR website, I can get one fuel filter and one oil filter for $125.75. However, when I go to Amazon, I can get Six MOPAR OEM Oil Filters and Three MOPAR OEM Fuel Filters for only $89.00 - which would actually be less than $30 per oil change for the filters.

Does that make sense? - am I over thinking this? Why would an oil filter through MOPAR directly cost $75 but only cost $6 through Amazon? Are these real MOPAR filters I'm finding on Amazon or are these knockoffs?

This is only my third oil change since purchasing the truck. The first time I had a mechanic that owed me work for trade do it and my full 40k mile maintenance, including a change of the fuel filter. I went just over 5k miles before my second oil change, and only did the oil/oil filter (I'm super anal about oil changes, and likely won't ever let it get past 6k between changes). Now I'm due for my third, and in the spirit of doing the "ever other oil change" I want to change the fuel filter. Last time I did a Napa Gold oil filter, because I've always used Napa Gold, but my "sensor" is telling me I have 17% of my oil life left, and I'm only 5,800 miles from the previous oil change... which would put 0% at roughly 7k miles. Everyone says I should be able to go 8k, and people on here keep talking about 10k. So I don't know if maybe Napa Gold sucks for the EcoDiesel and the sensor picked up on it, or if the sensor is just guessing, but it's making me want to use OEM filters to see if that changes this next time around.

So... thoughts on the Amazon prices for MOPAR filters? And thoughts on Napa Gold vs MOPAR?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,856 Posts
There are dealerships that sell on Amazon, some don't actually use the dealership name as being sold by but it shows up packaged from one.
As for the oil filter, there is no "sensor". The oil life monitor uses engine run time, temperature, rpms, etc to calculate the "oil life". It's based on how your driving the truck.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The listing you posted says ifjf brand not Mopar. I'm sure they are ok, your call, but you can get real actual Mopar filters for much less than dealer cost by shopping Ebay and Amazon. You have to look at the listings carefully because neither site enforces good commerce. Amazon allows knockoffs and Ebay allows just about anyone to use the term "oem" in their listings when they are anything but oem. You can usually get oil filters below 30 each, and fuel filters the price varies but can be anywhere from 15 to 25 now. What I usually do is wait until I get a special coupon from Ebay for x% off up to "y" total discount, and then buy several of each fuel/oil/air for my truck and my dad's cummins to maximize a discount.

Napa Gold filters are usually Wix. I think their oil filters for our trucks are good but the fuel filters no bueno (seen a few pics of them swelled up on here).

Also the 17% thing maybe the mechanic forgot to reset it to 100%?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,102 Posts
My oil life meter (2017 Tradesman) is a clock. It is matched to the miles driven, and that is that.

I use NAPA Gold oil filters and they work fine.

But the NAPA fuel filter came out with a bulged center, so I use Mopar from the Ram store for those.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Last oil change I did a couple days ago, Mopar filter 6822 9402 AA001 made in China. Why can't they make them in north america.
Did you buy it from mopar or ebay?

Chances are the materials involved were sourced from all over the world, it was assembled in China, probably for less than if in the US, but by the same machine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've bought OEM MOPAR filters from AMAZON on two occasions $61.97 for a fuel & oil filter combo, MOPAR brand, made in CHINA.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can buy K&N oil filters the Professional Series Premium oil filter PS-7042 for $8.99 from K&N and you can buy the Performance Gold oil filter HP-7042 for $12.99 from K&N. The K&N filters are made in Korea.

For the fuel filter you are better off sticking with the MOPAR brand and going through Geno's Garage to purchase them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you Amazon guys pop an engine your warranty could be void if Ram finds an after market filter on your truck whether it was working fine or not. The advice from a very good fuel injection shop is use the filter the dealer recommends, the fuel shop sees a lot of very expensive screw ups.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If you Amazon guys pop an engine your warranty could be void if Ram finds an after market filter on your truck whether it was working fine or not. The advice from a very good fuel injection shop is use the filter the dealer recommends, the fuel shop sees a lot of very expensive screw ups.
I know in the cummins world there are filters all over the place saying the fit the correct year etc. cummins, but if you look up their micron ratings they are not the same as the mopar filter. Havent seen same with oil filters, but i guess sit may be true.

I use knock off filters from amazon. They say on the box that they will not void the warranty. I have had great oil analysis results using the knock off filter and see no reason to doubt it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You don't have a Magnusson Moss warranty act in Canada but here in America we do have this act and if the manufacture wants to make you use only their filters or oil or any other part for that matter they have to provide it free of charge to you while the vehicle is under warranty. That was to prevent manufactures/dealers from trying to force you to use only OEM parts. Aftermarket parts are fine along as they meet OEM specs, the fuel filter is the one item where specs on aftermarket fuel filters fall short of the OEM spec. For the fuel filter go to Geno's Garage and buy the OEM MOPAR fuel filter from them cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know in the cummins world there are filters all over the place saying the fit the correct year etc. cummins, but if you look up their micron ratings they are not the same as the mopar filter. Haven't seen same with oil filters, but i guess sit may be true.

I use knock off filters from amazon. They say on the box that they will not void the warranty. I have had great oil analysis results using the knock off filter and see no reason to doubt it.
They may void warranty I would never roll the dice when under warranty by using a filter that may be a Chinese knock off. I also think doing your own servicing could come into question in a warranty situation, the dealers don't just change your oil they complete a list of checks which would undoubtedly include looking at the brake linings. I am a Certified Commercial Transport mechanic with over 36 years of experience, when I service a truck under warranty I document it complete with parts receipts. I could probably win a dispute in court because I am a Certified Commercial Transport mechanic 100% qualified to do the work and I can prove it but I don't take it for-granted. Why hand FCA an out on warranty ?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I guess you can look at it any way you want. Im 90,000 miles in with zero issues what so ever. 10,000 more miles or February first whichever comes first and my warranty is gone either way.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I guess you can look at it any way you want. Im 90,000 miles in with zero issues what so ever. 10,000 more miles or February first whichever comes first and my warranty is gone either way.
You bet but I don't want to give FCA any opportunity to deny warranty on a big ticket item like an engine. I really learned my lesson on my 08 Ford Ranger the after market filters had great filtration but lacked basically a check valve that stopped the filter from draining every time the engine was shut down starving oil pressure momentarily every time you started the engine eventually damaging hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
236,000 kms on all Mopar oil and fuel filters. I negotiated a trade discount for all my Mopar parts at the local dealer near work. No reason to compromise on non OEM for very little savings.

·
Registered
383 Posts
215,000 miles (346,000km) on EcoGard Oil filters...No issues, awesome UOA results. Mopar filters are only good for assuring warranty, but they are built by oil filter manufacturers, not Mopar, so there are equivalents, and even better filters than "MOPAR" out there....just gotta find them. IIRC, it is Mann (WIX) that manufactures the Mopar brand filters for this engine. Mann has factories all over the globe, including China. Mann has the ability to sell those same filters through their own brands and to other aftermarket retailers at whatever prices make sense for their business. We can debate the warranty thing all day long, but that doesn't change those other facts.

For me, I'll stick with the aftermarket and keep my money...with one caveat...I will never, ever use any FRAM branded filter ever again.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,865 Posts
If you want to read about oil filters, here you go-

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just be careful about ordering off of Amazon, there are a lot of counterfeit products posing as OEM and even some quality aftermarket products have counterfeits, NGK spark plugs is an example, there have been counterfeit NGK spark plugs. Filters are no different.

What you need to do is make sure you get the correct specs meaning if the OEM fuel filter is 3 microns filtering make sure the filter you buy a filter that also is rated at 3 microns. There are filters out there that are only rated down to 5 microns and even 10 microns and some aftermarket filters you can't even find a spec for them.

I would stick to known manufactures that have excellent reputations for quality products and make sure the specs are correct. Just because a filter will fit does not mean it will properly do its job.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts