RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all good luck finding some of these, the more you read the more you'll find some of this stupid. You'll have best luck with the ones bolded.

While the other thread is everyone discussing about which oils to use I've created this thread to consolidate all of the information on C3 oils and also explain what C3 means in relation to other standards. Going through my data base of oils took quite a while so bear with me on some of this.

In the USA there is no difference in the oil world between a 1.8L VW diesel and an 18L Caterpillar diesel used in OTR trucks or stationary equipment. The current oil used is CJ-4; C meaning diesel, J the current standard or 10th standard, and 4 meaning 4 stroke.

In Europe there is a difference in diesel oil standards between light duty used in passenger cars and trucks which is the "C" standards and the large diesels like the 12,14, and 15+ liter diesels used in stationary equipment and true heavy duty trucks, this is the "E" standard.

The current C3 standard is described as this: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst- compatible oil in vehicles with DPFs and TWCs in high-per- formance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines. Very similar to C2 but without fuel-economy requirements. Frequently matches specifications for BMW and DaimlerChrysler diesel cars. ACEA C3 oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines.

The C4 standard which is the same except they are designed to increase the life of diesel particulate filters and provide fuel economy benefits.

The common big diesel standards are E7:
Provides effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. Further provides excellent wear con- trol, soot handling and lubricant stability. Recommended for highly-rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV and Euro V emission requirements and running under severe conditions. Suitable for engines with or without particu- late filters, and for most EGR engines or SCR NOx reduction systems.

And E9 which is the same with this added:
Strongly recommended for engines with particulate filters, and designed for use in combination with low-sulfur diesel fuel.

Notice the E7 is suitable for DPF use where as E9 is highly recommended along with the recommendation for use with low sulfur fuels. Where E7 makes no recommendation for use with them and was the standard before the introduction of low sulfur fuels.

Pretty much every oil that has an American CJ-4 spec will meet the European E7/9 spec. E7 is closer to the CI-4/+ spec before low sulfur fuels and DPFs and E9 towards the current American CJ-4 with low sulfur, DPFs, and increased efficiency. So if you decide to go that route just get an oil that's CJ-4 rated.

I couldn't find any that met Fiat 9.55535-S3.

Oil that meets Fiat 9.55535-S1:

AGIP eni i-Sint FE 5W30

LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4200 5W30

LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4300 5W30

SHELL HELIX ULTRA EXTRA 5W30

Those that specifically meet MS-11106:

MOBIL 1 ESP FORMULA 5W30

List of C3 rated oils although they may meet other standards as well if it doesn't have the weight than it's because there are multiple:

AGIP eni i-Sint 5W30

AGIP eni i-Sint MS 5W30

AGIP eni i-Sint MS 5W40

AMSOIL 5w40 European formula

ARAL HighTronic 5W40

ARAL HighTronic G 5W30

ARAL SuperTronic 0W40

ARAL SuperTronic LongLife III 5W30

CASTROL EDGE European 5W30

CASTROL EDGE Professional BMW LL04 0W30

CASTROL EDGE Professional C3 0W30

CASTROL EDGE Professional Longlife III 5W30

CASTROL EDGE Professional OE 5W30

CASTROL Magnatec Professional MP 5W30

CASTROL Magnatec Professional OE 5W40

CHEVRON HAVOLINE ULTRA S 5W30

CHEVRON HAVOLINE ULTRA S 5W40

CRP Automotive Pento High Performance II 5W40

CRP Automotive Pento Super Performance II 5W30

KENDALL GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (European Formula)

MOBIL 1 ESP 0W40

MOBIL 1 ESP FORMULA 5W30

MOBIL SUPER 3000 XE 5W30

FUCHS TITAN GT1 5W40

FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 5W30

FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX 5W30

FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO GAS 5W30

FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO GAS 5W40

LIQUI MOLY LONGTIME HIGH TECH 5W30

LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4100 5W40

LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4200 5W30

LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4600 5W30

OMV BIXXOL SPECIAL C3 5W30

OMV BIXXOL SPECIAL V7 5W30

[BPENNZOIL Ultra-Class Synthetic, Euro L 5W30[/B]

PETRONAS SELENIA K PURE ENERGY 5W40

PETRONAS SELENIA MULTIPOWER C3 5W30

PETRONAS SELENIA MULTIPOWER GAS 5W40

PETRONAS SELENIA MULTIPOWER SPECS 5W30

PETRONAS SYNTIUM 3000 AV 5W40

PETRONAS SYNTIUM 5000 XS 5W30

PETRONAS SYNTIUM 7000 0W40

Q8 FORMULA M LONG LIFE 5W40

Q8 FORMULA SPECIAL 5W30

Q8 FORMULA SPECIAL G LONGLIFE 5W30

Q8 FORMULA V LONG LIFE 5W30

Q8 FORMULA VX LONG LIFE 5W30

REDLINE Euro-Series

ROWE HIGHTEC MULTI FORMULA 5W40

ROWE HIGHTEC MULTI SYNTH DPF 5W30

ROWE HIGHTEC SYNT PD 5W40

ROWE HIGHTEC SYNT RS DLS 5W30

ROWE HIGHTEC SYNT RS HC-FE 5W30

SHELL HELIX DIESEL HX7 AV 5W30

SHELL HELIX DIESEL ULTRA AB-L 5W30

SHELL HELIX ULTRA AG 5W30

SHELL HELIX ULTRA AM-L 5W30

SHELL HELIX ULTRA AV-L 5W30

TOTAL LUBRICANTS QUARTZ INEO LONGLIFE 5W30

TOTAL LUBRICANTS QUARTZ INEO MC3

VALVOLINE SYNPOWER MST 5W30

VALVOLINE SYNPOWER XL-III 5W30

For those wanting the requirement of C3 with the added benefits of C4:
AGIP eni i-Sint tech R 5W30

ARAL HighTronic R 5W30

CASTROL EDGE Professional C4 5W30

CHEVRON HAVOLINE ULTRA R 5W30

MOBIL SUPER 3000 FORMULA R 5W30

FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO C-4 5W30

LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 4400 5W30

OMV BIXXOL SPECIAL C4 5W30

Q8 FORMULA R LONG LIFE 5W30

ROWE HIGHTEC ECO SYNT RS HC-C4 5W30

SHELL HELIX DIESEL ULTRA AR-L 5W30

VALVOLINE SYNPOWER MST C4 5W30

The time to type all this up and go through multiple databases was extensive and although not complete is pretty extensive. Some oils only list the line ie PENNZOIL platinum but you need to find the PENNZOIL platinum which is still acea c3 as not all of them are depending on weight and what not.

Do not copy and paste this list and post it everywhere you feel like. Although available to the public in many ways this collection of information is a personal work. If you want to share it with friends or on other forums simply provide the link to this thread or send me the information for the forum and I'll see about signing up and contributing there also.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Wow! Thanks.

Information overload for me. Going to write down some of those oils that I think might be readily available without going to some exotic oil supplier or flying to Europe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you for taking the time and doing all that research to provide us all with that information.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Thanks for the work on this!

I wonder if the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 for sale here in NA is repackaged Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30. The Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 is the only oil that I've been able to find that lists ACEA C3, Fiat 9.55535-S1 and MS-11106. See page 4 of the linked brochure from Shell Australia.
Yep, some of this I find a bit crazy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Great research, please note that Chrysler borrowed it's spec (MS-11106) from the Mercedes Benz (MB 229.51) spec, so they are the same.
I don't believe this is the case but maybe a convenience for you in promoting your oils which DO NOT explicitly meet the Chrysler spec.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have read that the MB 229.51 and the MS-11106 are similar, but have not found definitive proof they are the same. Nor does the BG snake oil meet either of the Fiat specs.

Edit: Just downloaded the newest version of the diesel supplement and the Fiat specs have been removed from the requirements.

Only use ACEA C3 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine
oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or
Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil,
which is recommended for all operating temperatures.
This engine oil improves low temperature starting and
vehicle fuel economy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mobil 5w-30 ESP was developed for car use. In the past the only fully synthetic diesel oil from Mobil was Delvac 1 5w-40, it has the antifoaming and soot suspending additives. Recently Exxon introduced Delvac 1 5w-30 LE and I think you may add it to the database. It is not approved for EcoDiesel but check the specs.

from literature:
Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA E9 X
ACEA E7 X
ACEA E6 X
API CJ-4 X
API CI-4 PLUS X
API CI-4 X
API SN X

·
Registered
11 Posts
What will happened if I put Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 in my Ram 2015 EcoDiesel?

This oil is supposed to be better for fuel economy and meet ACEA C2, C3 and MB-Approval 229.51 which is suppose to be similar to MS-11106.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I am positive nothing bad will happen, and more than likely would help in colder temperature, but I won't say by a lot, as the viscosity difference is minimal, especially at 100C. More help in colder temperatures is having a block heater and an oil heating pad, so you'll start the truck with oil at over 100F and coolant between 60-100, depending on how cold is outside.

I didn't check the price, but if the 0w30 is cheaper than 5w30, then it may worth buying it, otherwise I would buy the most affordable from those 2. Just personal opinion, I am also a fan of Mobil 1...

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
...NIck' - You got in a first post without a welcome. WELCOME!

No recommendation you try it to find out. Would probably work. Just might be nice to know it meets. Chrysler MS1106 rating. That is more of an issue for the DPF ash removal operation. Motor might be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The reason why I am asking this is because the 6 pack of mobil1 0W30 ESP was on sale at walmart for 37$ canadian. I bought 5 cases. I think I will give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No,
The mobil1 0w30 ESP doesn't have the MS11106 rating. But, have the ACEA C2, C3 and these approval: BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.31/229.51/229.52.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts