RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
awesome mod. my truck spends about 80% of its life in the dirt. Keeps most of the dirt out. im not sure if it affects how hard the fan blows. may just be in my head, but either way it pumps out 10000 times better than my 3rd gen 2500. so not worried about. Im pretty sure this in one of those must do things! Put mine in when i got home from the dealer, along with driling a hole in the roof for my race radio.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
We've been doing the mod for a while... and there's a few threads on here already.

BUT... thanks for bringing it to the top.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info on the cabin air filter! I am new to this forum but have been around on the TDR and have had 6 turbo diesel Rams since 1998 and some how this mod managed to escape me. I drive quite a few miles on dirt and gravel roads in my travels. Maybe the dust entering the fresh air system on my trucks is the reason for all of the blower motors I have replaced over the years. At about the 3 year mark or about 70,000 miles the blower motors start to squeal or just quit when the cold weather hits. keeping all that dust out of the bearings of the blower motor can't hurt.

Thanks for bringing this topic up!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yup... I bought the truck on June 5, 2014 - had a cabin air filter installed on June 9 - took a couple days to get the door that I ordered off ebay.

I also ordered the Fram FreshBreeze allergen filters for both my wife's Jeep and my truck - they take the same filter. It definitely helps!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
So many of you might not know your new pretty trucks do not come with a cabin air filter, we all have the provision for it, but its blocked off. I suffer from severe allergies and smoke and even diesel exhaust can trigger a deadly asthma attack for me, Ive been hospitalized before. So when I found the kit on Genos garage for $20. I jumped on it.
I for one drive in really nasty conditions, In the summer its all dirt. In the winter, Its so cold outside, the semi trucks emit clouds of smoke that settles toward the ground, and it all gets inside my trucks and I am constantly choking. Now im looking forward to clean air this winter.

Do you know if this only filters the fresh air incoming or does it also filter when on recirculation? (after rereading the description on Genos, I guess it filters both recycle and fresh air. Regardless, I have ordered the kit. Seems like a great deal and a real improvement regardless.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for letting me know, ive never seen it on here before, which is why I posted it, I thought it would be cool
On this board, I think we were talking about it back in Feb. There was a thread started because in the new diesel supplement, they have a schedule for changing the cabin filter. We all got exited that Ram FINALLY decided to put the filter into the expensive trucks. But nice they started to show up... we found that they still didn't put them in. At that point, I had posted the part numbers, and some pics.

The reason I had the pics handy, is that I had done it on my 2010 Ram.

But, it's an important mod. Not only does it make the air clean... but it keeps the crap from plugging up your evap core.

I think it needs to be brought up once in a while. But honestly, it should just be made a sticky.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I second the motion from Dr Honda, that this should be made a sticky! This is very useful information.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Got the cabin filter and had it installed on day 2 of owning my truck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Update on my Cabin Filter install.
I tried a Dremel tool at first and found it hard to get the tool in that small a space. So I tried the heated box cutter blade technique and it went very fast and cut like butter. I used a propane torch just like I use for copper plumbing connections. Of course I had the torch on the concrete driveway far enough away to not get accidentally knocked over and start any fires. It went thru the plastic like butter and was very controllable. I needed this filter because here in Alabama we have a period during the spring that creates a lot of yellow pollen that coats everything with a thick coating and is a real PIA. You cannot open your home's windows for about a month and this pollen gets on everything when the weather is so nice and you would like to get some fresh air.
Bill

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Update on my Cabin Filter install.
I tried a Dremel tool at first and found it hard to get the tool in that small a space. So I tried the heated box cutter blade technique and it went very fast and cut like butter. I used a propane torch just like I use for copper plumbing connections. Of course I had the torch on the concrete driveway far enough away to not get accidentally knocked over and start any fires. It went thru the plastic like butter and was very controllable. I needed this filter because here in Alabama we have a period during the spring that creates a lot of yellow pollen that coats everything with a thick coating and is a real PIA. You cannot open your home's windows for about a month and this pollen gets on everything when the weather is so nice and you would like to get some fresh air.
Bill
Good info on the hot knife. Your fan any louder?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts