RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ram 1500 Big horn CC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 3.0 with 100,250K miles.

Okay, so first off I know they don't improve anything. Well aware, however I wanted to make the turbo a little louder, which it did for sure.

My problem is this. It seems like the lower end driving has been hindered since installing the AFE cold air intake (open box, not closed).
also, on the highway, it seems like I've actually lost an MPG or so...

I notice going up hills I have to apply more throttle to get the truck to maintain speed, resulting in downshift. Feel like before it just pulled through.

I did not expect an increase however I did not expect a decrease either.

Thoughts?

should note I have a tune coming here soon so maybe it'll be more beneficial then with no negative results?

Had OEM intake with K&N filter previous to this.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,169 Posts
How many tanks of fuel have you ran since installing the AFE setup?

·
Registered
2015 ram 1500 Big horn CC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many tanks of fuel have you ran since installing the AFE setup?
Not even a full tank. I've made a couple of short trips, maybe 15 miles, and then I just did a Pittsburgh to Erie trip and back (each way about 120 miles) this past weekend. Honestly about half a tank.
Do these trucks have, for lack of a better term, a learning curve to driving and atmospheric conditions? I drive like a grandpa!

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,169 Posts
Not even a full tank. I've made a couple of short trips, maybe 15 miles, and then I just did a Pittsburgh to Erie trip and back (each way about 120 miles) this past weekend. Honestly about half a tank.
Do these trucks have, for lack of a better term, a learning curve to driving and atmospheric conditions? I drive like a grandpa!
They don't use a feedback system like gassers but the weather conditions and I swear some tanks of fuel seem to run better.
Or the truck could be mad at you for installing a CAI and still driving like a grandpa..lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
Agree with @Crash68, that the difference in this case may be solely fuel related. run a couple 2-3 tanks of fuel and get a good average. @shaggn85 makes a point too, if you're too impatient to run a couple tanks of fuel through it, you could swap back to the stock intake and see if it makes an immediate improvement. I'm not sure how difficult that swap is though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts