RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this state sucks and i cant legally buy a GDE tune. Would it work to have a friend in another state get their hands on an ecm out of a wrecked truck and use the vin from that truck for the tune and then install on my truck?

·
Registered
581 Posts
All tunes are done to the vin and injector code of the truck the tune is going into. You could give the vin and picture of the needed codes and have him order and then get it to you but if you get caught by CARB you may pay dearly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not worried about being caught, CARB doesnt mess with our kind of trucks proactively. So i would have to find an out of state trucks ecm, get its VIN, and the injector code? Give all that to GDE and then i could install that ecm on my truck no issues?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not worried about being caught, CARB doesnt mess with our kind of trucks proactively. So i would have to find an out of state trucks ecm, get its VIN, and the injector code? Give all that to GDE and then i could install that ecm on my truck no issues?
No, the ECM be has to be programmed to your truck specifically, meaning your VIN and injector codes need to be programmed. So here's your solution, order your ECM from GDE with your info and mail it to an out of state location using an out of state billing address. Use a trusted friend or family member. GDE won't mail it to California or if there's a California billing address.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Perhaps you can find a member here that can help you. I know GDE will accept a postal money order. If you give a credit card, it will be obvious from the billing address, you are from California. Or, better solution: move to another state, hehe. BTW, in the East Coast, we have California "east" Massachusetts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
VIN will still be registered in California, therefore GDE will refuse to tune the ECM.
I heard that it was where the original state of purchase was. So if you bought your truck used from Arizona but you live in California then you could possibly get the GDE tune. You'd still need to figure out the whole mailing/billing address issue though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I heard that it was where the original state of purchase was. So if you bought your truck used from Arizona but you live in California then you could possibly get the GDE tune. You'd still need to figure out the whole mailing/billing address issue though.
Registration has nothing to do with it. I bought my truck in Cali and have a tune.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They can't. They only go on shipping/billing addresses.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
They can't. They only go on shipping/billing addresses.
Anyone can. When I Google my vin # it shows up as being in Califunny.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Anyone can. When I Google my vin # it shows up as being in Califunny.
Made me look!

Mine has a remnant from the dealer's website, but it does not confirm anything about where it is registered/titled>.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Made me look! Mine has a remnant from the dealer's website, but it does not confirm anything about where it is registered/titled>.
Domino,
Your post made me check further. You are correct, mine shows Califunny but the is the dealer, not me.

Now Trackman has cleared it up. If GDE says, "shipping & billing address" that's the way it is.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Domino,
Your post made me check further. You are correct, mine shows Califunny but the is the dealer, not me.

Now Trackman has cleared it up. If GDE says, "shipping & billing address" that's the way it is.
Yeah, that's what they told me when I inquired about getting anything from them. They're not hacked in to the DMV database. If a customer in CA previously ordered something though and then tries to order anything else, that VIN is in their own customer database as being associated with CA and it's a no-go.
The cost of potential fines from CARB has them not even considering it, it's not worth destroying your business when you can still conduct business and make satisfied customers in 49 other states. I don't blame them at all, it's just the politics here and how the state chooses to criminalize certain things over others. I better stop there before I start ranting.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Good to know DJ. I emailed GDE and inquired about the oil pressure sensing module. It is not a emission control module. GDE told me as part of the settlement with CARB they weren’t even allowed to support California customers. :mad: I hate this state. :eek:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Good to know DJ. I emailed GDE and inquired about the oil pressure sensing module. It is not a emission control module. GDE told me as part of the settlement with CARB they weren’t even allowed to support California customers. :mad: I hate this state. :eek:
We need to find a buddy out of state to support us

California is the Rectum of the Country :(
Wrecked em? Darn near killed em!

·
Registered
24 Posts
GDE doesn't have access to Commiefornias DMV so for people telling other people they won't do it they are just plain stupid. My understanding is the vin # tells GDE things like what's gears are in the rear end ect.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
GDE doesn't have access to Commiefornias DMV so for people telling other people they won't do it they are just plain stupid. My understanding is the vin # tells GDE things like what's gears are in the rear end ect.
if you phone GDE and call display says California ,==> that's the end of the transaction
if you give a shipping adress for transaction that is in Cali ==> that's the end of the transaction
if your credit card info during transaction POPS out your Cali adress ==> that's the end of the transaction

every step must originate from another state ,
GDE wants your VIN # , a picture of your injector code sticker ( on front of HPFP )
at some point they asked for axle ratio , but I think they don't anymore .

1 - 20 of 81 Posts