RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 2016 ED 4x4 3.92s. I would love to get a little more power and fuel mileage out of the vehicle. I don't have the ability to get my hands on a GDE tune. (California). How well do the banks and stealth "Foolers" work? Do they throw codes? Mess up the computer? Who here has one?

Zach

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 2016 ED 4x4 3.92s. I would love to get a little more power and fuel mileage out of the vehicle. I don't have the ability to get my hands on a GDE tune. (California). How well do the banks and stealth "Foolers" work? Do they throw codes? Mess up the computer? Who here has one?

Zach
Interested as well. Banks makes great products and arguably has the most experience with the ed do to their military connections.
However this forum seems to be blow hards for gde. So...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the Banks Derringer installed for the past four months. Had trouble locating the proper EGT connector and ran it awhile without that. Banks tech support sent me an email with color photos helping me find the proper connector and it has been connected for the past month.

There is a noticeable power gain when accelerating up an on ramp or passing on the freeway. I drive fast and with a heavy foot often. Was getting 18.1mpg mixed city driving with WOT each onramp and crushing at 85-88mph.

For a few tanks I slowed it down and used the lower setting and was averaging 70mph on the freeway and was able to get 22.6mpg average with mixed freeway and city driving.

Next step is adding the iDash so I can see the boost and EGT numbers.

I have not towed and have no plans to tow in the near future.

The install was not very easy with the connectors being very hard to access and poorly positioned to access the locks and releases.

I ran the wires through the clutch slave cylinder block off plate. I expoxied in a water tight cable type grommet.

One dealer in my area said that as long as I didn’t flash the pcm I was fine for warranty...

They didn’t say anything (if they even noticed it) during my first (free) oil change. I did remove the toggle switch and hid the under dash wiring though.

So, installed at about 7,500 miles and currently have around 13,500 miles.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Interested as well. Banks makes great products and arguably has the most experience with the ed do to their military connections.
Considering GDE has experience programming for FCA, maybe Banks doesn't have the most experience with the ED.

Blow hards or not, I think most here just preach what works. Nobody is on the GDE payroll or getting kickbacks.

Just remember we're blowhards when you post on here asking questions.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I don't have a GDE tune, so can say this without bias. There is one good reason to go GDE and that is that it turns off the EGR and saves your engine from ingesting crankcase gunk. If you don't care about that and just want increased power, then any of the "piggy back" tuners will do that. A word of caution though... We don't know how increasing the HP will affect longevity. since we are seeing a significant number of engine failures, I would be nervous about adding much power. Case in point. I tuned my Duramax for a significant amount of power and blew a head gasket about 30k miles later at less than 80K miles on the truck. Never towed, just street fun... it was a very costly experiment for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Considering GDE has experience programming for FCA, maybe Banks doesn't have the most experience with the ED.

Blow hards or not, I think most here just preach what works. Nobody is on the GDE payroll or getting kickbacks.

Just remember we're blowhards when you post on here asking questions.
Bounty Hunter, hope you can help me. I have a 2015 eco 1500 and have had the dealership re-flash with their new EPA approved flash. I was just about to spring for the GDE tune and retain my original ECM for going to the dealer if needed. The new flash from the dealer just ruined a pretty good truck. Three mpg lower fuel economy , downshifts much too much, and messed up the throttle sensitivity. If I could drive to Canada and get a gde tune I would. Looking for any suggestions to get this thing fixed. Considering a Banks. Not convinced it's as good as gde. Hoping for any suggestions.
Thanks Charley.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You new guys that just came flying in here do realize that GDE is out of business... EPA shut them down.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Bounty Hunter, hope you can help me. I have a 2015 eco 1500 and have had the dealership re-flash with their new EPA approved flash. I was just about to spring for the GDE tune and retain my original ECM for going to the dealer if needed. The new flash from the dealer just ruined a pretty good truck. Three mpg lower fuel economy , downshifts much too much, and messed up the throttle sensitivity. If I could drive to Canada and get a gde tune I would. Looking for any suggestions to get this thing fixed. Considering a Banks. Not convinced it's as good as gde. Hoping for any suggestions.
Thanks Charley.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks Charley.
Banks is just a inline module, its a good one but not the same as an actual tune. If you want your truck back to how it should be contact hd diesel supply in Canada they can take care of you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts