RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Can dealers sell trucks with open recall?

13K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  SlowRoller 
#1 ·
My dad called from the dealership. He was looking at a 2016 Ecodiesel. Knowing the EGR recall is current, can they sell a truck with a open recall?
It was a 2x4 base model with 90k miles for 15,000$

#2 ·
That has been the rumor and some stand by it. Others have seen Ecodiesels for sale, often at non-Ram dealers. As for a Ram dealer selling - you may set the tone fo 6th real answer. If the dealer has a problem selling then it would be on them. You like it and want it, then it just might be right for you.

#3 ·
I have an email from the Ram dealer that I bought my 2020 Ram from that says FCA told them they could not sell a truck with an open safety recall and the EGR recall is a safety recall. I have been negotiating with FCA, so far unsuccessfully, for reimbursement for the loss in value onthe trade due to the recall since I ordered the truck before the recall and took delivery adter the recall. In those discussions FCA confirmed that they had told their dealers not to sell any Ecodiesels with the EGR recall open. That said I see the dealer has it listed for sale on his website now but it does say one open recall on the ad. I need to ask the dealer what is going on since he used the excuse of not being able to sell it to reduce the trade allowance.

#5 ·
I have an email from the Ram dealer that I bought my 2020 Ram from that says FCA told them they could not sell a truck with an open safety recall and the EGR recall is a safety recall. I have been negotiating with FCA, so far unsuccessfully, for reimbursement for the loss in value onthe trade due to the recall since I ordered the truck before the recall and took delivery adter the recall. In those discussions FCA confirmed that they had told their dealers not to sell any Ecodiesels with the EGR recall open. That said I see the dealer has it listed for sale on his website now but it does say one open recall on the ad. I need to ask the dealer what is going on since he used the excuse of not being able to sell it to reduce the trade allowance.
At this point in time the dealership will deduct for what they Anticipate the recall will cost them and any down time that it will stay on their lot. I am presently working with my dealership for a trade up and it sounds like FCA has given them some leeway, will know shortly the details with detailed the numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
It is clearly against federal law to sell a new car with an open safety recall. It is not so clear on used cars. Federal law doesn't specifically prohibit it but its possible other consumer laws would apply.

Reactions: Captainmal
#12 ·
The iaauw with new verses used vehicles is probably an important determiner. I remember when Ford stopped all sales of their new 3.0 diesels for an EGR recall. They could not sell new vehicles and didn't . They had to change some bolts on those systems before selling. Now not sure what application there was to used ones so another issue.

Right now many dealers and car lots are actively selling used Ecodiesels. If there was an all-inclusive Federal law against it I doubt that would not be the case. Guessing, now it is just a guess, that the issue really only applies to new vehicles. Since there would be few new old designs around it is probably just a PR issue rather than a common inventory stoppage. Bet dealers are just using the issue as an excuse to increase their profit margin.

#14 ·
Was servicing my F250 6.9 and went by a Ram dealership and decided to pull in. I asked about the Gen 3 and the 2016 EcoDiesel on the lot and they were clueless. There was another ED at the Toyota used lot right next door. I must admit I decided to have some fun. I was introduced to the GM who said we have two new EcoDiesels that had just arrived. They were Classics and 2019. Again I asked for if he had any 2020 EDs on the lot you can’t sell the 2019s. He argued with me, “they just sent them to us” made a few phone calls. We can’t sell them your right.

Ram dealerships can not sell used/traded in EcoDiesels under the VB1 recall. They will deduct for the recall and estimated lot charge. Used car lots and other brands might sell the used EDs out of ignorance.

The GM has 25 years with Mopar. Gave me his card and said he’s going to call Detroit to see what’s up?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
There are a couple of Ram dealers in my local area with used ED’s for sale on their websites. I haven’t spoken to them directly so I can’t say if they would actually sell them right now. What I am certain of is that my 2016 ED with a failed EGR can’t be sold right now!

#20 ·
The more I think about it the dots don't connect. Car max is a big company. They bought it with no issue. Selling it openly and disclosing the recall need to be done.

Why couldn't the ram dealer be the same? Its used, not new. Different department??

I say Ram has some brass gonads. Alienate your customer who is already on the edge. Textbook case of how NOT to treat a customer.

Pitiful when your only savior is car max. Real pitiful......

#22 ·
The more I think about it the dots don't connect. Car max is a big company. They bought it with no issue. Selling it openly and disclosing the recall need to be done.

Why couldn't the ram dealer be the same? Its used, not new. Different department??

I say Ram has some brass gonads. Alienate your customer who is already on the edge. Textbook case of how NOT to treat a customer.

Pitiful when your only savior is car max. Real pitiful......
My opinion on your question is rather simple. FCA and the dealers have a contractual relationship. Presumably the agreement gives FCA some rights to instruct the dealers what to do in this situation. I can understand (not like) the concept that FCA doesn't want to increase their liability by selling a known faulty truck. Carmax, not being a FCA dealer, has no such relationship. I don't think it is rocket science. FCA has decided reducing their risk this way is less costly than selling vehicles with a non resolved safety recall.

#21 ·
I should have noted in my last post that prior to my EGR failure, the Ram dealer where my truck is sitting now was willing to take my truck in trade despite the open EGR recall. They lowballed need at first but ultimately offered me the top of the KBB trade value range. I didn’t ultimately make the deal but they were willing.

#28 ·
The truck was priced at 15k. If the AEM was not done then my dad could had gotten the truck for 12k. Get the AEM and now its got a warranty under AEM and the remaining 10k miles powertrain. Gamble and hope the engine fails within the AEM / powertrain warranty. - Glad my dad called me from the dealership. I told him about the EGR fires, 2-5% engine failure rates that require truck cab to be removed and a $$$ engine. Said I love my truck but its one engine number 2. Most likely he would had purchased the fire truck.

Or just get a brand new 2019 ecoboost Ranger for 22k. Ford has them marked down 8-10k. 26mpg highway and 0-60mph in the 6 seconds. A EPA legal tune gets the truck into low 5 seconds 0-60mph!

Reactions: Ecosparky
#30 ·
Do Manufacturers Ever Initiate Recalls Without a Government Order?
Yes . Most decisions to conduct a recall and remedy a safety defect are made voluntarily by manufacturers prior to any involvement by NHTSA . Through their own tests, inspection procedures, and information-gathering systems, manufacturers often discover that a safety defect exists or that the requirements of a Federal safety standard have not been met . The manufacturer is obligated to report such findings to NHTSA and take appropriate action to correct the problem . However, as vehicles age with
use, certain design and performance problems may occur that prompt vehicle owners to file complaints with NHTSA . The many reports received by the public form the basis for NHTSA’s defect investigations, which often result in significant safety recalls .

#32 ·
I have shopped for LL equipped ed's across the country. Using carfax, cargru and truecar. All ed that are listed have outstanding recall listed in the ads. As I currently have a 2014 and 2015. I was bottom shopping for high end Ed's. Actually found 2019 model with under 20k miles. Prices are all over the place. Just keep thinking should get rid of both.

#33 ·
Sitting in line for the state safety inspection. I never wait this long but till the end but was hoping something was resolved by now (wishful thinking). At least I’ll get a 2021 sticker. Haven’t been driving the ED much, I wonder if that’s a mistake?

#35 ·
Dealership called my dad and said that all recalls were completed. I wish I had spare time to drive up and play with these guys.

#40 ·
#42 ·
The dealer where I bought my truck is one of the largest in the southeast. They typically have (or at least advertise that they have) 1300 new Rams in stock. They currently have three used ED’s listed on their website. I‘lol call them tomorrow and ask about those trucks and if they can actually sell them given that there is a safety recall on them that can’t be completed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.