RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have an email from the Ram dealer that I bought my 2020 Ram from that says FCA told them they could not sell a truck with an open safety recall and the EGR recall is a safety recall. I have been negotiating with FCA, so far unsuccessfully, for reimbursement for the loss in value onthe trade due to the recall since I ordered the truck before the recall and took delivery adter the recall. In those discussions FCA confirmed that they had told their dealers not to sell any Ecodiesels with the EGR recall open. That said I see the dealer has it listed for sale on his website now but it does say one open recall on the ad. I need to ask the dealer what is going on since he used the excuse of not being able to sell it to reduce the trade allowance.
At this point in time the dealership will deduct for what they Anticipate the recall will cost them and any down time that it will stay on their lot. I am presently working with my dealership for a trade up and it sounds like FCA has given them some leeway, will know shortly the details with detailed the numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
875 Posts
Was servicing my F250 6.9 and went by a Ram dealership and decided to pull in. I asked about the Gen 3 and the 2016 EcoDiesel on the lot and they were clueless. There was another ED at the Toyota used lot right next door. I must admit I decided to have some fun. I was introduced to the GM who said we have two new EcoDiesels that had just arrived. They were Classics and 2019. Again I asked for if he had any 2020 EDs on the lot you can’t sell the 2019s. He argued with me, “they just sent them to us” made a few phone calls. We can’t sell them your right.

Ram dealerships can not sell used/traded in EcoDiesels under the VB1 recall. They will deduct for the recall and estimated lot charge. Used car lots and other brands might sell the used EDs out of ignorance.

The GM has 25 years with Mopar. Gave me his card and said he’s going to call Detroit to see what’s up?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
875 Posts
I noticed fwiw that Elk Grove dodge is advertising eco diesels again at $18k off. And not long after the recall dropped they had pulled the ads so I’m thinking something has changed
I hope their sales suffer! We can’t trade in because of the overpriced crap they sold us. Fire In A Truck (Fiat).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Fca dealerships need to follow what the recall says but other dealerships like carmax have no worries. The recall is at a oem level so only dealerships that are certified at that level need to follow it. If it was a federally mandated recall it would be different but the egr recall is a fca recall.
My understanding is that complaints to DOT promoted the recall. I’ve been wrong before. Lol.

·
Registered
875 Posts
This recall is not a government mandated recall it was a voluntary recall by fca.

Do Manufacturers Ever Initiate Recalls Without a Government Order?
Yes . Most decisions to conduct a recall and remedy a safety defect are made voluntarily by manufacturers prior to any involvement by NHTSA . Through their own tests, inspection procedures, and information-gathering systems, manufacturers often discover that a safety defect exists or that the requirements of a Federal safety standard have not been met . The manufacturer is obligated to report such findings to NHTSA and take appropriate action to correct the problem . However, as vehicles age with
use, certain design and performance problems may occur that prompt vehicle owners to file complaints with NHTSA . The many reports received by the public form the basis for NHTSA’s defect investigations, which often result in significant safety recalls .

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sitting in line for the state safety inspection. I never wait this long but till the end but was hoping something was resolved by now (wishful thinking). At least I’ll get a 2021 sticker. Haven’t been driving the ED much, I wonder if that’s a mistake?

·
Registered
875 Posts
1 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN
Oct 24,2019
Manufacturer Recall Number VB1
NHTSA Recall Number 19V-757
Recall Status Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
Summary The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler on your truck [1] may be susceptible to thermal fatigue. Thermal fatigue may cause the cooler to crack internally over time. An EGR cooler with an internal crack will introduce pre-heated, vaporized coolant to the EGR system while the engine is running. In certain circumstances, this mixture interacts with other hydrocarbons and air in the system, potentially resulting in combustion within the intake manifold, which may lead to a vehicle fire.
Under you (dads) vin number?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts