RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Big Horn on 4Mar. It was built on 28Mar then went into some QA Check limbo for 31 days, where it remains to this day. My dealer apparently couldn't get any info on what was going on. As the weeks in QA Hold came and went I started thinking that I was not at all sure that I wanted a truck with problems so serious that it spent >4wks and counting in QA Hold. Also, I was annoyed that my dealer didn't tear down the gates of hell to find out what was going on. So I started shopping around area dealers for a similar truck. This morning I closed a deal on a similar Laramie. On Friday I'm renting a car, driving a couple hundred miles, and fetching the truck. Meanwhile the Big Horn will still be collecting dust in JS (Storage) QA Check status.

My dealer is now pissed at me, and I feel lousy as hell for punking him. But I waited and waited for some info on the truck while everyone else was getting there's and I got tired of waiting for Ram to tell me why my truck was sitting in a lot broken. The dealer says he's going to keep my deposit. I contacted my credit card company and filed a claim for a reversal of charges. If that doesn't work, it's small claims court. Having done that before it's no big deal.

I feel shitty about how this went down. It's certainly not the dealer's fault that my truck turned out to be a lemon. I know this puts the dealer in a bind, but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk away from $1k.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Because of the extreme circumstances, you might be able to fight the deposit anyway. Was the Laramie you bought an EcoDiesel, or gas?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Awesome good choice.... f**k the dealer!!! they will sell that truck 3 times over when they finally get it. Sounds like they really didn't step up to bat and find out what the hell was going on with your truck. Walk in there demand your money and shove that truck right up thier lazy entitled asses! 31 days I would be calling and stopping buy my dealer 3, 4 times a day demanding answers!! Seriously don't feel bad at all u did the right thing. F**k dealers!!!! Greasy cockbags

Reactions: gleb

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
There is probably some law in your state that would allow you to walk away(legally) after waiting soo long. There is here where I live....funny how a lot of dealer could care less about you once you put down a deposit... so few good dealers out there it's really one of rams weak points...I remember reading on here someone was saying they went to a dealer to buy an eco diesel and they dealer didn't even know they made a half ton diesel! how does that happen? Lol

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
my dealer point blank told me there's no scenario they can keep my deposit if i change my mind, including when the truck arrives on lot and i say "never mind". so yea, check what your rights are in your state. don't go by what the dealer tells you. and in the end, f'em, this is a business and it is your money. you owe them nothing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Laramie I bought off of a lot is an ecodiesel.

The dealer is an acquaintence. I don't know him well enough to really call him a friend, but he's a good guy. Far from holding a grudge against him, I feel guilty for having punked him. I'm confident I'll get the money back. In all the emails between us and the "build sheet" I signed there's not a solitary word about a possibility of the deposit being non-refundable or me being under any obligation. I'll get it back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my dealer point blank told me there's no scenario they can keep my deposit if i change my mind, including when the truck arrives on lot and i say "never mind". so yea, check what your rights are in your state. don't go by what the dealer tells you. and in the end, f'em, this is a business and it is your money. you owe them nothing.
^^ This. When I ordered my truck the dealer said the ONLY way they can require a deposit, legally, is if the order is for "distressed goods". If your dealer is being a bitch about you not moving forward with the deal then f**k em. They know damn well they can sell it for probably more than they were going to sell to you. Chances are it will be sold to an uninformed buyer who will jump at the chance to own the ED for a few $$ off MSRP.

It would behoove you to not burn bridges with dealer tho, for maintenance and warranty reasons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
in NJ you can change your mind and get your deposit back at anytime. the dealer will try to tell you bs and say they have the right to keep it...unless you state is different u are 100% able to get your dep back

·
Registered
346 Posts
You did the right thing. You are the customer, and Ram, not the dealer, failed you. Furthermore, you are right on about your apprehensiveness of accepting a truck that may or may not have issues. That would constantly be on your mind, and you wouldn't have enjoyed the truck like you should.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ranger Gord,

It's Ram and not the dealer who is at fault. The roll out, the poor communication, the delays, and this is another example. What does Ram expect you to do, wait 3 months?
And really Ram should be happy that you stuck with the brand, and did not get pissed off and go to Ford, GM or another brand.

Your acquaintance may have some heartburn, but in the long run, being in the business and watching how Ram managed this roll out, the guy should be fine.

Marsman.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Fellow at the marina told me yesterday he went shopping locally. Dealer in Tampa wanted MSRP plus a "Market Adjustment" fee.

Dealer in Brandon (near Tampa) wanted to deal MSRP with their funky stripes and other add-ons. If they are selling then the dealer you walked on should be happy. they have something they might get a good price on and be real desirable in stock. They should pay you a bonus just for the privilege of having it in stock.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That's so f**ckin slimey they added a "market adjustment fee"....dealers piss me off to no end!! Pretty much that lowest forms of human life, taking advantage of every situation they can, with little foresight for the future... I had on asshole (when I was shopping back in march) keep trying to steer me to hemi's (because they were on the lots of course) and even put down the new diesel saying it was going to be on reliable etc... then when I said jus build me one and price please I don't need your opinion, it's what I want, he proceeded to do so and tried giving me a price that was barley 1000 bucks off msrp! the balls on this f**king guy! He denied that there was any incentives from ram (keep in mind this was the 3rd or so dealer I was trying to get a price from and I knew ram was offering 10K in incentives at the time) and when I called him on it he got angry and called me a lier I don't take kindly to that so it escalated and we ended Up to blows, not smart really but these things happen. What a loser waste of skin c*cksucker!! Oakville dealer right off the qew...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got lucky. My dealer was awesome. They asked me what I felt comfortable paying for the truck. I told them that I get special pricing from Ford and I get invoice plus what ever Incentive they have at the time. My sales man said ok done so I got my truck for invoice and the incentive. I put $500 dollars down and they told me for what ever reason I want to cancel my order they will refund my deposit.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
~280 miles coming home from the dealership. 1/2 rolling hills, half flat. Had cruise control on 78mph for most of the way. 27.3mpg. I noted that when I went below 75mph I got 30mpg. The thing that struck me most about the truck is how much nicer interiors have become. I've gone thru a lot of vehicles but I've not bought a new one in a decade. The interior is really nice.

Side.jpg Front.jpg Interior.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice truck ranger. Feels good....don't it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts