RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our one ATV isn't enough, and it will only get worse when we move to the acreage. Can't decide do I drop the money on a UTV or do I just buy a second ATV. UTV would be nice for hauling firewood and allow me to carry more chemical when spraying. ATV is more nimble, easier to store, and I wouldn't have to widen the trails through the woods. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I have a 20 gallon spray tank on my ATV and use a small trailer for wood, move a few bales of hay and yard trash. The UTV's are a big with the ranchers out here. One has to be careful on the back roads as they come zipping out of their fields when you are least expecting it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sound like what I am doing. Only difference is I have 2 kids that also want to ride. My 3 yr old loses his mind if the atv starts. I've got a sprayer on mine now, and I tow a 5x8 trailer but recently bent the axle on it.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
seems to me the big questions are 1-does the second person want to ride or drive? 2-Do you want or not want to have the second person chattering away next to you all the time. I have chosen to go for more ATVs rather than get a side by side. I have one visitor that doesn't want to drive and many that do. One of mine is a Polaris Sportsman X2 which can convert and have a second elevated seat and see over the driver. It also has a rear differential and a lock so if you use it on the lawn it doesn't tear everything up when you turn. I have plows for two so if I have a problem with one I can still plow the road and driveway.

All the best,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Couple years ago I asked myself the same thing, I went with the 2nd ATV and trailer. Picked up a trailer from harbor freight (little one) put treated sides and back on it to haul firewood. Better half uses it behind her lawn tractor. The reason I went with the harbor freight is that it's about the same width as the ATV's. Can also use it on the highway. Rated at around 1000 or 1200#.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that 500 Pioneer had a dump bed I would consider it. However I need to get away from the rack. Plus when I test drove the 500 it was like fat guy in a little coat.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Ironically I bought a second one for my wife to use. She said she wanted one. She lied.

Put a hitch on it to pull her yard cart. It will also pull the big utility trailer like I do with mine. Great winch on front. Fast yet easy to operate and loaded with "decorations" to make it look super. No matter. It sits.

...and sits and sits.

Think I will soon sell the thing.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We decided to buy a UTV, but I am keeping my Honda Rancher as well. The wife and I came to an agreement. Lets get the house built and we are moved in. Then we can buy it and won't have to trailer it all the damn time. Looking hard at the Honda Pioneer 700-4.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We decided to buy a UTV, but I am keeping my Honda Rancher as well. The wife and I came to an agreement. Lets get the house built and we are moved in. Then we can buy it and won't have to trailer it all the damn time. Looking hard at the Honda Pioneer 700-4.
The new Pioneers are a nice machine, check out Honda Pioneer Forums

Also take a look at the Polaris Ranger - I've had a ton of experience with Polaris products and have nothing but good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live on 5 acres and couldn't imagine life without my Polaris Ranger EV (all electric). It's a utility golf cart on steroids and handles all my needs in the country with ease. Plus it's pretty much silent so I can blast all around my property without attracting any attention from the neighbors or wild animals. It also doubles as the perfect hunting vehicle as well. It has 1WD (turf mode), 2WD and 4WD so you can select whatever best suits your terrain. Not to mention it pulls a trailer like a mule!

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
image.jpg View attachment 9170 KS this is my ranch buggy the main reasons that I go with Polaris is because of the bed design with the holes , you can do about anything you want . This picture is with my dog box , they love to go for rides!! And I have a bench seat I put in the back for passengers when needed and all you do is slide them out 30 seconds to switch what ever you want back there , And I regularly put about 800lbs of chemicals in the back but the belt will slip a little but no problem . But the other main reason for Polaris myself is parts , you have no problem getting aftermarket parts there cheap ! And I've changed cv boots, brakes, all the bushings on whole buggy,very easy to work on. This one is a diesel and its a great ranch buggy, where ever I go I've got diesel fuel . And I agree the 4 seater is to long for myself as well

·
Registered
164 Posts
Honda Pioneer's will be coming in a 1000cc version for '16 so I will be waiting for that......but I get the employee discount so I'm biased.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rancher wasn't happy about pulling this load of hedge up out of the creek bottom this morning. I had to use 4x4 to make it out just due to the slope.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Buddy has a gator and it's a sweet machine. They are damn proud of them though even used. I've got my eye on a couple used ones.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Buddy has a gator and it's a sweet machine. They are damn proud of them though even used. I've got my eye on a couple used ones.
If you haven't already done so, check out kijiji or craigslist ads. There's usually a few deals to be had on there, but they don't come available often. A lot of guys love them and run them until the wheels fall off. My uncle has one from the early 90's and loves it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts