RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2015 about a year ago. No real problems except when I drove in mud once and a plug came loose.

Now I drove through a small amount of snow, not enough to hurt the small plastic skirt around the front of the truck. Got home and into the shop for the night. Next day it says the transmission is gone basically, advises me to drive home in D and call the dealer. It won't start. The key won't come out of the dash or go all the way left. I disconnect the battery and eventually get the key out. When I try it now it says the same thing. My diagnostic tool tells me the tcm can't be found. Apparently the harness that connects to the tcm is loose or wet or something. Where is the TCM??

I called the dealer and he said it's all warrenty work so have it towed there and they'll fix it. How stupid is that? I tried to get him to talk me through finding the harness and plugs and he just laughed. I got a heater blowing on it for the next few hours and I'll see if it's attitude has changed in the morning, otherwise does anybody know where the TCM is or which plug is wet?

Thanks,

Phred

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
There has to be a connector somewhere on the transmission. That's what I would check first...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I think I found it under the hood on the right hand side up high by the firewall, right behind the air filter.. It's silver and 2X6X8 or something..

I checked the plug on the transmission. It may be wet, but looks good and I didn't have the courage to take it apart. Maybe I will in the morning since warranty will fix it anyway.

thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
Check the connection of the harness directly underneath the driver seat, it may or may not be secured to the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks Maxx442. Honestly don't know what I'd do if I found it anyway. If drying it out doesn't work then it will be towed.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Phred. I believe the final outcome is the most important part to any issue, Thanks for the post and the final fix , please post all information about your fix , this way someone else who will have an issue like yours will have a good idea what's happening and a probable fix !!! Thank you for being very considerate :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I picked it up he said it was a shorted out solenoid valve in the transmission. There were also 3 problems with the wiring. One was the wheel position sensor. The other two he wasn't sure about but just said they were due to corrosion or a pin being pushed back.

Really ... corrosion after only one year and I don't spend that much time on salted roads and it's not in a heated shop. Cold storage only. If a pin was pushed back it would have happened at the factory. I have unplugged nothing. Thought about it but didn't do it.

I think if they want to improve the truck they should upgrade their plugs. My other warranty fix was also a plug problem.

thanks for the help guys,

Phred

·
Registered
81 Posts
Plug connections seem to be becoming a fairly common problem apparently. My ED had a loose cruise control connector that I had to correct myself (didn't bother with the dealer because it was too ruddy hard to duplicate when it was there). The solenoid issue you mentioned has me a bit concerned though. While probably not remotely connected, I have had issues with shifting from 1st to 2nd when the truck is cold. It acts like there isn't enough pressure to hold the shift elements so the transmission will attempt to shift to 2nd, drop back to 1st, then shift again a few moments later. No codes, and only happens during the first shift so its highly unlikely that my dealer can or will do anything with it. Anyway, glad you were able to find the root cause of your issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had the same issue with my 2014 ED. Dealer replaced the valve body but got a faulty on from the factory. Putting the second one in tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope the 2nd one works, keep us posted. Welcome to the forum.
Dealership installed the new valve body, but since the new TCM has the AEM software in it my ECM will not communicate with it. Dealer has to Flash the ECM which will remove my deleted tuning files and likely fry the EMC. Just ordered a ECM/TCM tuner from Sofa King Tuned to replace it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dealership installed the new valve body, but since the new TCM has the AEM software in it my ECM will not communicate with it. Dealer has to Flash the ECM which will remove my deleted tuning files and likely fry the EMC. Just ordered a ECM/TCM tuner from Sofa King Tuned to replace it.
This doesn't sound right... plenty of members have switched back their tuned ECM after getting the AEM updates. Sounds like its too late to save your ECM tune, but I suspect other issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealership found a way to make the ECM and TCM communication but have now determined that something mechanical in the transmission has broken. So now I’m also getting an entire transmission. I guess the silver lining is that the new trans will have a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty on it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts