RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has successfully installed car seats with a top teather. This loop system is really strange to me, I've read the manual.... No matter how tight I tighten the latches they still pull sideways when tightening the top teather. I'm really seirous about proper installation, fire dept never seen any system like it, dealer won't touch child's eat installation with a ten ft pole.... Anyone get them in straight and tight and safe???

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I just use the normal latch belt. (around the base of the seat) The seat isn't going anywhere. AND... using a base latch, or regular seat belt to hold the seat was "Safe" for the past 20 years. SO... if you are having issues with the top latch... and it's moving the seat into a non-safe position... then don't use it.

I'm not sure where the location of the top belt is... but I guess if I was going to try to use it... I would put it though the headrest to help center it.

I'm going fishing this morning... but when I get home... I'll take a look.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I used the top latch as well as the 2 bottom anchor points the top is a bit loosed but my understanding is its supposed to have an inch or so of play to accommodate different seat set ups...
The police had a seat blitz and had a look and gave mine the thumbs up, so hopefully it's right

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use the top latch if it is safe. Our Durango only has the bottom anchors. We also use the seat belt through the base.

Let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I need to look at this too. Going on vacation with my 3 week old grandson next week! I'm sure my daughter will inspect! I have a CHP friend that used to install/check the car seats. I'll see what he says.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I actually have a forward facing seat in the middle seat of my truck. It was painful to get tight but I am attached to the top tether and anchored to the bottom seat anchors as well. I found when I shortened the clip on the top of the seat as much as it would go and then put all my weight in the seat is when I was able to synch her up nice and tight. Don't know if that helps or makes sense but it just worked great for us on the 1300 mile trip we just got home from.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I need to look at this too. Going on vacation with my 3 week old grandson next week! I'm sure my daughter will inspect! I have a CHP friend that used to install/check the car seats. I'll see what he says.
I put a base in mine a couple weeks ago, since it is rear facing it only uses the bottom tethers and it seemed to work fine. The only issue I had was in the middle when tightened it seems to stay towards the passenger side of the middle seat because the anchors are a little off center. I'm also not a big fan of how much it overhangs the seat with nothing to support it but I'm sure it is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok here's what I've come up with... First of all, sort if tight isn't ok with me personally, I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them and I know the seat wants in properly. Also, the top teather only applies to forward facing car seats, not infant seats.
1, I extended the top tether strap about three feet, I folded the base of the seat up and held the car seat up and dropped the top tether hook down behind the rear of the seat under the head rest. With the truck seat base folded up you can see the bracket where the truck seats are bolted to the truck. There is a perfect hole in the bracket to clip the top tether to. I then folded the base back down into place and our the child's eat in place and installed with latch system. Next I tightened the top tether strap as normal. The I seems to work wayyyyy better than the recxomebded loop system. Does this make sense? I can post pics if anyone else is having any trouble with this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok here's what I've come up with... First of all, sort if tight isn't ok with me personally, I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them and I know the seat wants in properly. Also, the top teather only applies to forward facing car seats, not infant seats.
1, I extended the top tether strap about three feet, I folded the base of the seat up and held the car seat up and dropped the top tether hook down behind the rear of the seat under the head rest. With the truck seat base folded up you can see the bracket where the truck seats are bolted to the truck. There is a perfect hole in the bracket to clip the top tether to. I then folded the base back down into place and our the child's eat in place and installed with latch system. Next I tightened the top tether strap as normal. The I seems to work wayyyyy better than the recxomebded loop system. Does this make sense? I can post pics if anyone else is having any trouble with this issue.
I don't really understand what you did here but I'd be interested in seeing photos of it. I'm waiting on delivery of a truck and the tethering of the forward facing seat is a concern of mine. I tried to get the thing tethered in during a test drive but it was not easy and did not seem to work very well. Curious if your system worked.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have mine on the passenger rear seat. You put the tether between the headrest and top of seat. Run it through the loop and the over to the middle loop. Clip it to the middle loop. I got it really tight and secure. It shows how to do it in the manual. Whatever seat position you put the car seat in, the tether runs through the loop on that seat and clip to the loop on either side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts