RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are both different as in ones a leveling kit and ones a lift kit. I just want to get peoples opinions if they have/had one or the other. I need to know especially how the ride quality is with and without a trailer load, and if they had any certain problems. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is the exact decision / wondering I had when I took delivery of my truck. On paper, the Carli looks like a very quality set up, and you can tell the kit looks well thought out and is engineered with performance in mind. The BDS kit (from what I read on the interwebs) is the hands down top quality "drop bracket" kit on the market. Installers say the fit on the truck is fantastic, the finish is really durable, and the quality of materials is top notch.

In the end, I went with the BDS kit. I'm sure the I would have been more than happy with the Carli, but for the off roading I do, I wanted a little more frame clearance than what the 2 or 3 inches the Carli would yield.

The truck has been lifted since January, and knock on wood, I've had no problems with the suspension. The truck rides really comfortably both loaded and unloaded. I have a little bit of driveline shake when accelerating from a dead stop, but it's very minor. Instead of going with the Fox shock option, I opted for Bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners with the front set at 2.1" with the BDS preload spacer not installed - I think this yielded me another inch or so of lift. I also had Mevotech control arms installed to address the potential problem of popping the OE ball joints. Out back, I went with the 5" spring option which has about the same spring rate as stock (it's way soft). Like the OE springs, the truck will sag with even the smallest load in the bed. With my trailer hooked up to the truck it sagged significantly. Timbergrove makes a bag set up that is tailored for the BDS lift. It's 100% bolt on and works very well. It made towing much more comfortable and I like how it stiffened up the rear when unloaded. I run about 4 to 5 pounds with the truck empty.

I'm very happy with my decision to go BDS, and if I needed to do it over, I wouldn't hesitate in going this route again. I would set the Bilsteins up to 2.8 because the airbags added about 1/2" more of lift out back (I may just do that in the near future), and perhaps spend a bit more for BDS or Zone control arms (this is not in the plans for me right now, as I think the Mevotechs work just fine). I do however want to try out a thicker sway bar out back to help with towing, as even stock I felt like it needed some help getting the sway and wandering down a bit.

This is the Bilsteins I needed for the rear:
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33185569-5100-Shock-Absorber/dp/B009FU6I6G/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me= I also needed to purchase a bushing kit separately for it to work. part number 77-80038 from Superlift. I just gave them a call and they sent it out to me. I don't remember how much it costed, but it wasn't much.

From the show your rig towing thread:
20190817_151903_HDR_2 (1).jpg

Bags fully inflated to do a leak test:
20190303_173402.jpg

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the lift - Aloha!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts