RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I primarily use my ED for towing our 7,000 pound travel trailer. I also carry my tool bag and several other things that I don't want to get wet in the bed so it has a cover. I would also like to take our kayaks with us when we camp but I haven't figured out where to carry them yet. What do the rest of you do it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use TracRac TracOne it uses the exact same inserts as used on my Jeep Racks. The only drawback is the swapping around, about one or twice a year. I haul lumber, canoe and Kayaks. Canoes are carried upside down and tied front and back or are carried right side up and you need a canoe cover. Kayaks are carried right side up and must use a cover also. I had the plastic chip guard installed on the roof of Quad cab to lesson the effects/scraps of errant lumber or Canoe/Kayaks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
For my canoe I use 1 Yakima roof rack and my home made stake pocket rack at the tailgate. There are some pictures of my setup in another post.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Seems like a ladder rack would work. I'll be looking for something similar when we start touring the country. Trailer behind, bikes in the bed, kayaks above.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The problem with ladder racks is the way they are mounted. If you have a tonneau cover, they will not work as the mounting is the same. With my stake pocket mount it does not interfere. Tonneau cover works fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
6E9CD1E6-0629-46DB-9415-045AF0F6A6CF.jpeg
Had Thule Top Tracks installed and added a Thule Hullavator. Easy on, easy off. Out of the way of my Diamondback bed cover and with my 16’ sea kayak there is still plenty of room for a trailer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I carried a couple of kayaks along with the travel trailer for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Both of the 'yaks were under 10 feet so I just put them in the bed and held them down with a ratchet strap. I angled them so the nose was in the front left corner of the bed and they rested on the tailgate angled toward the right rear. They are short enough that they didn't interfere with or touch the nose of the travel trailer when turning or parking.

We happened to go to a lake in Northern Michigan this trip that's ideal for kayaking so I probably won't be carrying them often and probably not in the way I did this time. I'm curious if there is a way to strap them vertically to the rear wall of the trailer without adding significant structure to the trailer to accommodate two 'yaks. :confused:

Bob

·
Registered
117 Posts
View attachment 81920
Had Thule Top Tracks installed and added a Thule Hullavator. Easy on, easy off. Out of the way of my Diamondback bed cover and with my 16’ sea kayak there is still plenty of room for a trailer.
^^ Like this...……...

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's a company named ProRack and they have a rack system that I use to carry my bicycles and I purchased some taller supports to carry my Kayaks. I ordered both through the same company,
Realtruck.com. I also contacted ProRack directly to get the taller supports for the kayaks. The supports for the bicycles are 10" and the kayak supports are 27". Measure your cab height to determine how tall the uprights need to be. I could have gotten by with 24" because of the additional height my Yakama Kayak rack provides. As a result, going down the highway with the Kayaks, lots of wind noise and some high pitched whistles. I plan to have the tall supports shortened to 24". Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
I carried a couple of kayaks along with the travel trailer for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Both of the 'yaks were under 10 feet so I just put them in the bed and held them down with a ratchet strap. I angled them so the nose was in the front left corner of the bed and they rested on the tailgate angled toward the right rear. They are short enough that they didn't interfere with or touch the nose of the travel trailer when turning or parking.

We happened to go to a lake in Northern Michigan this trip that's ideal for kayaking so I probably won't be carrying them often and probably not in the way I did this time. I'm curious if there is a way to strap them vertically to the rear wall of the trailer without adding significant structure to the trailer to accommodate two 'yaks. :confused:

Bob
If you can put a utility rack on the back of the trailer, then you might be able to stand the kayaks on the rack and strap the middle and tops to the trailer. Not sure that would work with my ocean kayaks as they are 11 and 13 feet long and fairly heavy. Might be too much weight on the very back of the trailer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you can put a utility rack on the back of the trailer, then you might be able to stand the kayaks on the rack and strap the middle and tops to the trailer. Not sure that would work with my ocean kayaks as they are 11 and 13 feet long and fairly heavy. Might be too much weight on the very back of the trailer.
That's my thought too. Our 'yaks are both under 10 feet so vertical clearance shouldn't be an issue. Always comes down to attachment points and structure on the trailer - there's a factory installed ladder on one side, not sure of the structure on the other side. I'll do some thinking and drawing this winter to try to figure it out.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
We use Trac Rack mounted on the bed rails with Thule J-Style Racks for the 2 kayaks. This also leaves room the secure bikes upright in the bed.

TruckKayak.jpg

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I have seen many camper trailers up here around Lake Superior with kayaks and/or paddle boards strapped on the back of the travel trailers. I have seen the longer kayaks strapped at an angle to give extra length forthe kayaks. Some seem to be fancy custom racks and others look like they were home made. However not being interested in them I didn't pay a lot of attention except to note all are not the short wide $150 plastic kayaks. I cannot imagine the weight of a couple kayaks can be a problem on the back of a trailer. Seems to me it makes way more sense than the racks putting them on top of the truck and the wind resistance of that kind of a setup.

AN out of the box though is can they go inside the trailer?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mine are both about 80 pounds and would be a pain to fit through most camper doors. Now if I had toy hauler, that would be a different matter. Although most toy haulers I've looked at seemed a little too basic for our desires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts