RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Outdoorsman with 76k miles on it. It's been reliable and in perfect condition. I'm able to get a Carshield warranty for $99 a month. Is it worth it? Have any of you used them for warranty work?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Absolutely not! They will under-pay claims to the dealers - they are a nightmare for your advisor to contact and deal with.
Plans sold via their parent company - American Autoshield - shockingly enough - are significantly better, cover a lot more stuff, are more affordable, and easy to deal with overall from the Advisor standpoint!

Carshield is heavily advertised - using celebrity endorsement - but it's basically designed to be a "major part only" type of coverage, where things like required fasteners, gaskets, etc., aren't included - and it's sold cheaply, with high expectations, and poor results.... it's sold as though it covers repairs, and in reality, it usually doesn't. Think of it as tiered - and this would be like, bad, acceptable, and good - the American Autoshield coverage would be acceptable.

·
Registered
194 Posts
From my understanding after talking to them, a current warranty is not a prerequisite for purchase.

1-866-818-9929
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. ET
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
119 Posts
it is one thing to not have a lot of good press, and another to have a bunch of bad press, car shield has a bunch of bad press, and several repair shops have made YT videos exposing some of their travesties, one I watched had an owner that had a flex plate that had broken, between the engine and the transmission, the owner was told if had been the engine or the transmission they would have covered it, but the flex plate was not covered, owner had to pay for new part(s) and all the labor, IIRC 1100+

How CarShield Rejects Claims For Car Repairs - YouTube

I liked this line in the comments section; It's like any other kind of insurance: 1) Scare the living crap out of you to convince you that you HAVE to have it, and then 2) Do everything in their power to avoid paying the claim when you submit it.....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had signed up this morning but after reading all the fine print I called to cancel. I was told that all emissions were covered, but reading the pdf they sent me it explicitly states no diesel emissions are covered. It also left a lot of grey areas to deny warranty; like the engine block isn't covered and other random items. I'll check into MOPAR. I don't think I have a bad engine but it would be nice to have peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,783 Posts
Get on YouTube. Look for the multiple videos on CarShield.

The scams they run through creative regulations are quite unique. They can use their wording to get out of paying for near anything and they do.

Those celebrities like Ice T are right. They never have to pay for their repairs to the exotic cars they own. It would all be paid for by the money Car Shield pays them for their endorsements. Those endorsements are predominantly made to poorer class people gullible to fall for those endorsements.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get on YouTube. Look for the multiple videos on CarShield.

The scams they run through creative regulations are quite unique. They can use their wording to get out of paying for near anything and they do.

Those celebrities like Ice T are right. They never have to pay for their repairs to the exotic cars they own. It would all be paid for by the money Car Shield pays them for their endorsements. Those endorsements are predominantly made to poorer class people gullible to fall for those endorsements.
Always read the legal disclosure.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had zero luck talking to Ram directly. I was able to get real info and good pricing on a Maxcare Extended Warranty from:
Tom Winkels
Finance Manager
Hayes Jeep
3718 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, Mi 49008
DIRECT-269-385-1116
TEL-269.488.2080

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,891 Posts
I don't think I have a bad engine but it would be nice to have peace of mind.
This is why I drive a 2021 2500 CTD. I did truly love my 2017 Ecodiesel, we towed from Alaska to Florida and back in 2019.

And on that trip the exploding V-6,s was always on my mind.

And after a year of "no EGR coolers available", which was a effing lie, because you could buy them online, the new design too. So I moved on. It was a good call, I see the reports every week here on the forum. It's not pretty for the Gen 2 Ecodiesel.

I always buy extended warranties, that way it's guaranteed that nothing bad will happen! 3 out of 3, so far so good, 100% reliable new trucks, knock on wood.

I don't worry about this Cummins failing, and that peace of mind it was well worth it for me.

I like this new straight 6 twin turbo gas motor Stellantis is making for the 1/2 tons, could be a winner. The day of the gas guzzling V-8,s is fading.

Eventually two things are going to happen, either you trade up to new, or you get it fixed, one way or another, you're going to pay to drive. But you could be lucky and drive that truck for a long time, many do get long lives. But many don't.

I would put that $100 a month into a special savings account for when it happens, it being "shit happens". IF you can get a Mopar warranty, I would jump on that.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,783 Posts
Always read the legal disclosure.
Their legal disclosures are the problem.

One example - a starter issue with the flywheel. The fine print speaks to transmission and engine repair. The flywheel and transmission is BETWEEN engine and transmission, according to them. Not covered.

Another is dealing with an engine knock. Bottom end problem but to prove it the owner must pay $1,600 to have the motor torn down to prove the problem. Then it can be submitted for review to see if it is covered.

That's just two examples of how they get out of paying for repairs. It's all in the "fine print".

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Their legal disclosures are the problem.

One example - a starter issue with the flywheel. The fine print speaks to transmission and engine repair. The flywheel and transmission is BETWEEN engine and transmission, according the them. Not covered.

Another is dealing with an engine knock. Bottom end problem but to prove it the owner must pay $1,600 to have the motor torn down to prove the problem. Then it can be submitted for review to see if it is covered.

That's just two examples of how they get out of paying for repairs. It's all in the "fine print".
Agree, that's what I was referring to. Know the contract. I watched the video you posted, thanks. The coverage document they sent me, only after I signed up, left a lot to be desired.

Their pushiness is also disturbing. After I canceled, the guy who signed me up (and lied about diesel emissions being covered) called to tell me the system was covered and to call him back. He's either ignorant of the coverage, a liar, or both.

Edit: it was Keith's video, but thank you everyone for the input!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts