RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so disclaimer, this may or may not work. This is just a description of what I have personally chosen to do to my truck. I came from numerous other diesel, to include f250's(plural) and a bmw 335d. CCV's can be terrible in my experience if not filtered correctly. With my experience with a duel monitored CCV system, I opted for the same system I used in the BMW. Its a very low restriction(almost none) setup. I change 2 of the 3 hoses in the system and kept them as short as possible. With the N54 style hose/mount setup from burger motorsports(BMS).

The pics are kind of hard to see. However install was a breeze once I figured out how I wanted to mount it. Time will tell If I made a good choice or not but so far so good. I used a radiator fan support and a slightly modified BMS mount to hold the CC. It was modified to enlarge the screw hole to allow a forward mount vs a sideways mount. Once mounted, hoses had to be chosen/cut. The bms kit came with 2 hose for the in and out side. I used both and had to slightly trim both. The oem hose is a two piece hose that can be partially used. I had to remove one factory clamp at the middle connection and save the engine side for later use (possible warranty). I used the inlet side as my intake connection. Using the kit supplied hoses, I assembled. I had to trim a bit off the angled hose for the engine side to fit and the 3/4 hose to the inlet side but that's it. Its almost like this kit was designed for the ECO. 3 small modifications and I have a very clean setup that I imagine will work for miles. Again time will tell but Im very happy with the end results
Text Label Font Material property

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Engine Vehicle

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Hood

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Car

Pipe Auto part Muffler

·
Registered
149 Posts
No codes thrown yet? I think one guy on here went a day or two with a Provent before he started throwing the ccv codes.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Is that black electrical tape on the hose leading to the catch can? If not, it looks like you have at least 3 different types of hoses connected. Correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No codes thrown yet? I think one guy on here went a day or two with a Provent before he started throwing the ccv codes.
I just installed it and drove less than a mile so obviously nothing yet. Time will tell but I think there is no additional restriction in airflow and the hose distance is only increased a few inches but the hose diameter has increased in sections to 3/4". I think this will be a viable solution but wont have "flimsy not scientific" data for some time. Im going to put about 2hrs of 7o mph on it sunday. If that works, ill be satisfied.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that black electrical tape on the hose leading to the catch can? If not, it looks like you have at least 3 different types of hoses connected. Correct me if I'm wrong...
The hose is not cover in electrical tape. Its whatever BMS makes their hose out of. Also use the supplied 3/4" hose to go back to the oem inlet hose at the plastic barb. I went from a 2 hose setup to a 3 hose setup using quality parts. heres a internet pic for better visul.
Auto part

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The hose is not cover in electrical tape. Its whatever BMS makes their hose out of. Also use the supplied 3/4" hose to go back to the oem inlet hose at the plastic barb. I went from a 2 hose setup to a 3 hose setup using quality parts. heres a internet pic for better visul.
View attachment 8845
OK, cool. My bad. The link pic explained everything. Was it expensive? How do you empty it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, cool. My bad. The link pic explained everything. Was it expensive? How do you empty it?
got if off ebay for around 180 shipped, So a bit expensive but not terrible seeing as how I spent 1400$ for a ecu just to turn off the EGR. It unscrews from the base easy peasy. with my mountng postion, about 20 seconds after opening the hood I would guess.
Auto part Muffler

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you used this model before? Do you know if there is anything inside the head to help separate the oil? Or is it just the grate with holes in it like in the picture?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you used this model before? Do you know if there is anything inside the head to help separate the oil? Or is it just the grate with holes in it like in the picture?
I have used this model before. Its just the two grates that separate the input from the out. Also If you you personally want to see it I'll be back to rucker for the next few weeks and will have some free time. PM me if you want to

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put about a hundred miles on it so far. No cel yet, inside of can is wet but nithing pooled. Satisfied so far. Ginna put about another 120 miles on it tomorrow and suspect all will be well

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
JDG please keep us posted on your catch can I'm very interested in the amount of fluid you catch , Because I believe your the first to do a catch can and a tune !!!! This will be a very good to know the outcome of the combination of the two. Thanks for the future knowledge !!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JDG please keep us posted on your catch can I'm very interested in the amount of fluid you catch , Because I believe your the first to do a catch can and a tune !!!! This will be a very good to know the outcome of the combination of the two. Thanks for the future knowledge !!!
Yes sir, will do! I hope it works out, as the kit is nearly ready to go like it was made for the truck. My only lingering concern is the load bearing strength of the raidator fan support to hold the can. Ill be keeping an eye on that as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
JDG I run the same catch can. I found in the winter it filled pretty quickly with condensate. Works great in the summer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JDG I run the same catch can. I found in the winter it filled pretty quickly with condensate. Works great in the summer.
I saw your setup, was my inspiration. I modified this same package for my previous 335d and its still working (sold it to a friend) i just gave it a nice 70mph 100 mile trip, no problems. Im going to pull in soon and see what its got.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've still got that unit sitting on a shelf from my former Bimmer. Glad to see it's working on two Rams now.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Not sure if this is your answer your looking for but diesels have a good deal of blow by and old diesels just vented it out to atmosphere, new diesels feed it back in the engine not good for engine , so some people have adopted a can to clean the engine vapors and then they drain it AKA catch can

·
Registered
149 Posts
The bad stuff we are trying to catch is oil/water vapor mix that coats the air intake hoses, intercooler, intake manifold and valves. In the intake manifold and valves it also mixes with soot from the EGR to turn it into a tar like substance that builds up in the manifold and valves. You can Google around and find lots of examples of what goes bad.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts