RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very shocked and disappointed that my CEL came on last night (I only have 2100 KM's on it). Plugged my scanner in to get the code and it came up with 3 codes, all 3 the same code, P0426 "catalyst temp sensor". I get a funny smell from time to time too...kind of like a burning smell. Anyone else having this issue? Maybe it's something simple or maybe it's nothing to worry about. I've had diesels in the past (powestroke 7.3 & cummins 5.9) but nothing with all of the new emission controls.

Called the dealer today and they won't look at the truck until mid next week. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Are you doing mostly city driving? Take it on the highway for a good rip.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
940 Posts
Goin for a rip are we bud? My theme song!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys...love the song...guess I'm goin for a rip tonight...

It's a mix of city and highway...around 30% city and 70% highway.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Enjoy the rip, eh bud.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had the same code twice. I have had it to the dealer both times, with them resetting computer and saying the trouble code was pending on first visit . The second time they indicated the sensor was to be replaced, but there are 211 vehicles needing this sensor replaced . They couldn't say when it will be available, a week, a month, unknown. Tech said no harm in driving it. Hopefully they will have an improved version. At least my dealer has gotten me in the next day after calling them as a small consolation. I have about 2600 miles on truck.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Sounds like it's nothing big then, that's good!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Might not be a big deal, but a new truck shouldn't be driving around with a CEL. How are so many parts so hard to source that every dealer is unable to get estimates on delivery times?

That's like ordering something on Amazon and them saying it'll ship... sometime in the next 6 months.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply JimT, sounds like the same issue. One of my codes was pending and one is permanent. Must be a common issue if there are over 200 people already waiting for a new sensor, but I do agree with sportsguy, you shouldn't have to drive around in a new truck with the CEL on. Chrysler should be able to give an accurate eta on the new parts... sounds to me like they are doing r&d on a revised version before they release it.... hopefully they get the new ones right.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Stix, You're right, it sucks to have the new truck and CEL on. I think some of the parts issue is that the number of orders for this truck/engine combination exceeded expectation and planning. I think a lot of parts available as replacement are in short supply.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from the dealer and the outcome is basically what I thought it would be.... they scanned the truck and got the same code as I did P0426 "Catalyst temp sensor". They tested the sensor and it "passed" their test so there is nothing more they can do for now. They did start a file with "tech support / engineering" so at least the issue is documented.

I should add that the CEL went out Sunday afternoon while driving...to bad they couldn't have gotten me in sooner while the CEL was still on. Hopefully it doesn't come back but I'm not holding my breath. I'll update this thread if there any changes.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CEL came back on over the weekend so I guess it's time to call the dealer again... I'm sure it will take a week or so to get in... I'll update this once I know the out come.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just picked the truck up from the dealer from the 2nd trip for code P0426. CEL went out a couple days before I got in for my appointment, as it did last time.

This time they cleaned the o2 & catalyst sensors and I had to fill out a questionnaire (about driving habits, regens, where I get diesel, if any mods where done, etc.) for Chrysler. They said if the code comes back, they will change the sensors but they are on back order and will be for a while.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the CEL came on again this morning so I guess it's time to make another appointment at the dealer and see if they'll actually replace the sensors.

Has anyone actually had the sensors replaced and if so, did that solve the issues?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Stix, in the other CEL thread I posted that my dealer ordered and installed a new sensor in 6 days from the day the light came on They had the part in 3 days. Same P0426 code as you, so I assume the same sensor. They did not replace O2 sensors,but how can the parts be back ordered if I got one in 3 days? The CEL is off now, but it's only been 4 days.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That sensor was just replaced on mine along with the o2 sensors with new upgraded ones. Will see how she does now.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

I guess the parts must no longer be on back order. I stopped by the dealer this morning (first chance I had to contract them) and they had already ordered the new sensors (3 they tell me, but no sure which ones yet) after my last visit. Truck goes in Wednesday to have them in stalled. Hopefully that's the end of this issue.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got the truck back... looks like they changed the catalyst temp sensor & the o2 sensors. If the cel comes back on I'll updated this thread but I really hope that's the end of this issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts