RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i got cft catch can im installing it says cut the factory clips off anyone installed one and can tell my exactly how to rmove the factory clips
22671.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
So i got cft catch can im installing it says cut the factory clips off anyone installed one and can tell my exactly how to rmove the factory clips View attachment 89244
So i got cft catch can im installing it says cut the factory clips off anyone installed one and can tell my exactly how to rmove the factory clips View attachment 89244
Joshvan, I want to give you the info on the hose I ordered for my catch can. I posted it under the search bar "engine oil, transmission cooler fittings and hoses on this site. I wanted to use hoses that are actually better than factory and way better than using heater hose for oily blowby. Pull up using the search option. Hope this helps.R

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Joshvan, I want to give you the info on the hose I ordered for my catch can. I posted it under the search bar "engine oil, transmission cooler fittings and hoses on this site. I wanted to use hoses that are actually better than factory and way better than using heater hose for oily blowby. Pull up using the search option. Hope this helps.R
For all the work to post that, it would have been easier to give the hose info for everyone who searches catch cans to see :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
66 Posts
For all the work to post that, it would have been easier to give the hose info for everyone who searches catch cans to see :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Bounty Hunter I'm sorry you can't "hunt" for the info! I should have said it was on the 2nd page of that string. Anyway the long and short of this is that I went through Control Concepts Technology of Scofield Wis. Contacted Kevin B @ 715-359-0421. I ordered the Parker brand hose 5/8"id series 801-10 general purpose hose that is blue in color. Flexible and can handle the job. The other hose is also Parker brand. 3/4"id series 7219 black in color. The CFT can had previously used heater hose and it isn't made for this application. they used these 2 hose sizes. I would imagine that after reviewing this the 801-10 series hose would work for both in and out just in different sizes. By the way, 3ft of the 801-10 5/8' cost about $27 shipped.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
The CFT can had previously used heater hose and it isn't made for this application.
My CFT supplied hose is holding up very well.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Which hose did josh use on yours the hose he sent me is cheap heater hose and soaked through quickly also came with crap clamps?
5/8 heater hose and metal hose clamps are holding up very well for me, been on there a long time. Is there a reason we should think heater hose isn't up to the task of this low pressure/low temp application?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
5/8 heater hose and metal hose clamps are holding up very well for me, been on there a long time. Is there a reason we should think heater hose isn't up to the task of this low pressure/low temp application?
Because its not designed to handle oil or fuel, its not so much pressure or temp thats the issue. Even oems use special hose designed just for ccv systems. Its not just clean vapors coming out and the catch can only helps some.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Because its not designed to handle oil or fuel, its not so much pressure or temp thats the issue. Even oems use special hose designed just for ccv systems. Its not just clean vapors coming out and the catch can only helps some.
Yes I know the vapors are not clean. But in vapor form is there really much oil in contact with the hose, enough to degrade the hose? Maybe I should be more worried lol.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Unless the hose starts sweating I wouldnt worry but I did try putting clear silicon hoses on to see how much passes and decided the catch can does almost nothing. The outlet hose discolored and had oil in it just like the inlet hose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Joshvan, I responded prior to this on the hose I purchased for this install but I didn't give enough info on the install. 1st. The CFT catch can that I have has 2 same sized ports on it for 5/8" hose. The problem I had was that the damm thing really isn't made for you to use your engine cover again because where they want you to mount the CFT can bracket to the engine cover plastic stud puts the outlet hose directly in line with that tall plastic stud for the cover. They don't give you molded pre- formed quality hoses to loop around the plastic stud without restriction. If they had welded that bracket 10 degrees left or right it would have worked without restricting the hose. I ended up mounting mine on the metal threaded stud that supports the turbo air tube from the intercooler. I had to modify the CFT bracket to lower it down since this new mounting point is just over an inch taller than the suggested mounting point. I did use a small flat screw driver and then a little bit bigger one to spread the V shaped crush area of the clamps. I first removed the hose from the oil separator port by squeezing the two sides of the black quick connector with the serrations on them and released it from the 3/4" nipple. The black quick connector has an Oring that fits inside that 3/4" nipple. This end unhooked made it easier to get the other end clamp off from the union connection hose going to the turbo. Using small screw drivers I was able to spread back open the clamps without destroying them. I Left clamps on original formed hose and put inside floor storage box for a rainy day. I did remove the black quick connector and used it with my new 5/8" hose. If it ever does throw a code for pressure loss issues I will get a "Vitron" brand O'ring the proper size to replace it since that should be the weakest link in this whole install. I plan to use my engine cover in the winter but not in the warmer months. No need to heat soak components if you don't have to. The other foam covers are still in place

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joshvan, I responded prior to this on the hose I purchased for this install but I didn't give enough info on the install. 1st. The CFT catch can that I have has 2 same sized ports on it for 5/8" hose. The problem I had was that the damm thing really isn't made for you to use your engine cover again because where they want you to mount the CFT can bracket to the engine cover plastic stud puts the outlet hose directly in line with that tall plastic stud for the cover. They don't give you molded pre- formed quality hoses to loop around the plastic stud without restriction. If they had welded that bracket 10 degrees left or right it would have worked without restricting the hose. I ended up mounting mine on the metal threaded stud that supports the turbo air tube from the intercooler. I had to modify the CFT bracket to lower it down since this new mounting point is just over an inch taller than the suggested mounting point. I did use a small flat screw driver and then a little bit bigger one to spread the V shaped crush area of the clamps. I first removed the hose from the oil separator port by squeezing the two sides of the black quick connector with the serrations on them and released it from the 3/4" nipple. The black quick connector has an Oring that fits inside that 3/4" nipple. This end unhooked made it easier to get the other end clamp off from the union connection hose going to the turbo. Using small screw drivers I was able to spread back open the clamps without destroying them. I Left clamps on original formed hose and put inside floor storage box for a rainy day. I did remove the black quick connector and used it with my new 5/8" hose. If it ever does throw a code for pressure loss issues I will get a "Vitron" brand O'ring the proper size to replace it since that should be the weakest link in this whole install. I plan to use my engine cover in the winter but not in the warmer months. No need to heat soak components if you don't have to. The other foam covers are still in place
Sounds like a whole lot of work wish i would relized all this when i bought it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts