RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the CFT intercooler piping and/or the MAP sensor spacer? I have their oil catch can installed on my truck and had the baffle solution tube installed on my old Grand Cherokee. I wasn't extremely impressed with either product but they were simple and they work. Just looking for some real world experience.

Before you tear into me, Yes I realize that it wont have as much of an effect without an upgraded intercooler, and yes I know the capacity of our stock turbo. I don't mind small incremental gains as long as they aren't going to decrease the reliability of my engine, and I've never heard of a turbo complaining about easier/better airflow. Any inputs or possible alternatives is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
I run a lot of CFT products. If you go with the intercooler piping be sure to get the turbo neck and throttle valve neck for improved clamping surface over stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run a lot of CFT products. If you go with the intercooler piping be sure to get the turbo neck and throttle valve neck for improved clamping surface over stock.
You’re just the person I was hoping to get a response from. I was looking at it today and they look like they have added the turbo neck to the package. Do you have an aftermarket intake? If so do you have any clearance issues with the piping?

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
You’re just the person I was hoping to get a response from. I was looking at it today and they look like they have added the turbo neck to the package. Do you have an aftermarket intake? If so do you have any clearance issues with the piping?
I ran the CFT intercooler and piping for a while, no clearance issues. It's a real good kit, well engineered and constructed.

Reactions: DILLIGAF

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
634 Posts
@Bounty Hunter, how did their kit affect intake/turbo noise? I expect there would be some increase but I'm curious how much.

I've looked at the kit and the increased noise is really the only thing stopping me :)

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
@Bounty Hunter, how did their kit affect intake/turbo noise? I expect there would be some increase but I'm curious how much.

I've looked at the kit and the increased noise is really the only thing stopping me :)
It's not bad, only a slight increase in noise.

Reactions: ajb3015

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
According to AFE, their intercooler kit increases horsepower, torque, and lowers EGTs.

Here's a review by a forum member:

Yes, for sure...the biggest being lowered EGT's. It also has helped a tad with towing, granted I don't tow a bunch. Between this unit and my other mods the turbo spools much quicker and mid-range power seems better.
Hauling about 6k worth of walnut timber on the trailer a few times I rarely seen EGT's go above 1,350. Normal unloaded drives it averages around the 750-800 mark.
It did not however have any adverse affect on fuel mileage, granted I never expected that out of it.
On another note, depending on what side of the fence you sit on the turbo noises are a lot louder, both under the hood and out the exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to AFE, their intercooler kit increases horsepower, torque, and lowers EGTs.

Do you know if the AFE will fit a 2016? I see they are for the 2014-2015, but I haven’t found anywhere that shows me how the piping would be different for my truck.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Do you know if the AFE will fit a 2016? I see they are for the 2014-2015, but I haven’t found anywhere that shows me how the piping would be different for my truck.
That's a great question. There's been a few people who've installed the AFE intercooler on the 'Everything EcoDiesel' Facebook group, but I don't remember which model year their trucks were. You may want to contact AFE.

Let me know if you don't have a facebook account. Maybe I can ask around to find the answer for you.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
634 Posts
There is apparently some modification required to fit the AFE kit on a 2016. This is a review left on their website:

Rectangle Water Font Circle Magenta

Thanks for digging that up. I also noticed the HP/Torque Chart you posted there which came from their website:

Rectangle Slope Font Triangle Parallel

The first thing that caught my attention is that even though it increases torque and HP at lower RPMs, the max HP and torque is actually lower with the AFE kit. The difference in HP is negligible but peak torque is down about 3 ft-lb. I know in the grand scheme of things this is also negligible and you'll never notice the difference, but when they're only advertising an 18 ft-lb gain (at lower RPM), a 3 ft-lb loss at peak is not insignificant. And at about 2750-3400 RPM stock torque is clearly higher, I'd guess by about 8 ft-lb at 3200 RPM.

The second thing I noticed is max torque occurs at about 2900 RPM which is not accurate for the engine. The factory torque spec is 420 ft-lb at 2000 RPM; of course this is rated at the crank so with drivetrain losses you'll see lower numbers on the chassis dyno, but the peak should still occur at about 2000 rpm if it's done correctly. How much different would the story be with a proper dyno setup?

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
I'd choose CFT over aFe for intercoolers. The aFe unit still has tight 90 degree end caps where the CFT intercooler has a much larger radius to turn the airflow. It's often the minor details for the gains.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
According to GDE, the stock intercooler is very efficient. Perhaps replacing the factory intercooler pipes with aftermarket pipes might be the best bang for the buck, but I haven't seen any before or after dyno runs to draw any conclusions. It's been discussed that the truck is able to hold gear better on hills with the AFE and MBRP intercooler pipes.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my 2015 EcoDiesel with GDE tuning. I'd be willing to buy the AFE intercooler pipes if I knew they would be helpful when towing. But until I can see some data, I'll stick with the stock piping.

Reactions: SavagePatch

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Most of the dyno sheets for these trucks are junk unless you have a custom tcm tune with a dyno calibration it’s impossible to get real numbers.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Here's a person with an AFE air intake paired with a CFT intercooler baffle delete.

I like CFT pipes but the baffle delete is incognito and flies under the radar if that's something you need (ie: California)

Watch "CFT CAC Baffle Delete" on YouTube

·
Registered
168 Posts
The cft sits on top of core support, metal on metal with two straps bolted on top. the afe use the rubber mount on bottom and all 4 bolts on top. you don't have to replace hose connection on afe, they snap right in place. they spent a little time in design fit and finish. just my opinion

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Ive never been impressed with the quality of cft products but I respect Josh for what he does. His products are made by someone with zero engineering experience and lack the little things like proper hose materials, isolators, clamp type, etc. If you want a quality product that might need some refinement during install his stuff is great. If you want something engineered to work prefect out of the box maybe not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts