RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Pretty handy you are. Pictures are tough to orient as the parts are not there to see.

Hope it all went back together and works literally forever.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
If I understand correctly, which I admit may not be the case on this issue, I think the initial making up of these fuel connection actually yields (irreversibly deforms/stretches the steel) and makes it unlikely that the connections can be reliable remade. Much like some head and rod bolts nowadays that yield when tightened properly and are not meaant to be reused. I hope it works for you and it will be interesting to hear how it works long term.

How many miles were on the engine and what were the symptoms leading to you changing the water pump? If I recall correctly we haven't heard of many, or perhaps any, water pump changes here.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If I understand correctly, which I admit may not be the case on this issue, I think the initial making up of these fuel connection actually yields (irreversibly deforms/stretches the steel) and makes it unlikely that the connections can be reliable remade. Much like some head and rod bolts nowadays that yield when tightened properly and are not meaant to be reused. I hope it works for you and it will be interesting to hear how it works long term.

How many miles were on the engine and what were the symptoms leading to you changing the water pump? If I recall correctly we haven't heard of many, or perhaps any, water pump changes here.
My water pump was replaced at 17,000 miles.. Thermostat housing as well , so who knows what was really leaking.
Done at dealer under warranty about a year and a half ago. That's when they idled the crap out of my truck trying to figure out what about a year later and 3rd dealer. Only after being pushed by me to keep on looking , was a failing EGR..
which was also changed under my 3 /36 warranty.

On a side note , when they did my Timing cover seal fix , yhe tech got held up for a week waiting on fuel lines. Stated they could reuse them , but not recommended.
Not sure about pushing them aside being a issue , above my pay grade.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My truck now has 61,000 on it. I will definitely say this engine design seems to use alot of gaskets on everything. Meaning at least with the cooling system there are multiple points where they use gaskets and my head goes "why wouldn't they just make this one piece?" but, I am not a engineer or designer by any means. All so I can see how if someone had a outside coolant leak it is a guessing game on these engines, there are definitely multiple points where coolant could be leaking from and unless you remove everything off the front of motor you wouldn't know. I have full egr delete now and obviously it was a visible leak for the waterpump/thermostat.
On the parts being made to only be used and tightend once, on some parts I would believe but building and working on vehicles years ago like most backyard mechanics we come to realize what parts you don't want to reuse and what parts they tell you not to reuse so they can keep making money once your out of warrenty. So far so good on the fuel line and I didn't bend it at all, the 3/4 nut broke free with ease and the line just moved itself away from the waterpump naturally. Then the waterpump was able to just slide out downwards. Honestly the way they ran that one fuel line directly in front of the pump and claim you can't reuse the line makes me believe they did it on purpose to make you bring it to the dealer. The line could have been ran countless more ways from where it is.. let the truck run for about a hour, checked the fuel line, no leaks, drove it around town another hour, no leaks.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
My truck now has 61,000 on it. I will definitely say this engine design seems to use alot of gaskets on everything. Meaning at least with the cooling system there are multiple points where they use gaskets and my head goes "why wouldn't they just make this one piece?" but, I am not a engineer or designer by any means. All so I can see how if someone had a outside coolant leak it is a guessing game on these engines, there are definitely multiple points where coolant could be leaking from and unless you remove everything off the front of motor you wouldn't know. I have full egr delete now and obviously it was a visible leak for the waterpump/thermostat.
On the parts being made to only be used and tightend once, on some parts I would believe but building and working on vehicles years ago like most backyard mechanics we come to realize what parts you don't want to reuse and what parts they tell you not to reuse so they can keep making money once your out of warrenty. So far so good on the fuel line and I didn't bend it at all, the 3/4 nut broke free with ease and the line just moved itself away from the waterpump naturally. Then the waterpump was able to just slide out downwards. Honestly the way they ran that one fuel line directly in front of the pump and claim you can't reuse the line makes me believe they did it on purpose to make you bring it to the dealer. The line could have been ran countless more ways from where it is.. let the truck run for about a hour, checked the fuel line, no leaks, drove it around town another hour, no leaks.

A lot of times crazy stuff like this is due to ease of assembly on the factory floor rather than servicing. As for parts not being all ok next piece, this engine was initially intended for a different vehicle so there are a decent amount of hacks probably.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Just had mine replaced (2015 ED ) @92K under warranty by the dealership. I have some interesting details in my posts about the experience. I paid NADA, zero$$$$, it was a win-win for the dealership and me. They got the warranty work and I got to Stomp on a 2019 Hemi QC for a week!!
I was going to tackle this job myself until my stepson suggested I try the warranty route. FWIW....I have the 5yr/100000 mi warranty...
Good Luck, so far so good....

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

in another thread ( maybe damien's truck ) it was mentioned by someone I trust , ( ?? brokendownbutgood ) that as long as you
don't mess with the rear of the fuel rail , they can be bolted back on , the rear has some sort of " scisor " fitting that sticks into the rail
or something like that , and you should not reuse rail if you disturb that area , of course if dealer does the job they don't want to risk
a leak from the rail and have a fire blamed on them , why dealers change them .
I see a lot of rust build up at contact point of water pump on block , that is more of a headache to me , this rust will continue to develop
unless it was surface and came from water pump , aren't our blocks made of aluminum ????
turned the images 90 degree to save me from whiplash ......

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
BTW , thanks for the pictures Teameno86 , I have read about 2 hard lines from water pump to turbo
but i think we can see them in here , when they leak you are suppose to have to remove intake manifold
so the probably leak further back , but nice to see one more possible coolant leak location ....

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kazimodo those holes are also for the water pump, all the holes on the face are water pump. There is a tube that bolts to the back of water pump and it runs through the center of the engine into another tube with a o-ring.This is what bothered me, why wouldn't you just make it one piece? Instead they put a tube on the back of pump about 12 inches long, 2" diameter and just pops over another tube that is in the center of the block. I would assume that tube runs rite to the turbo.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If I recall correctly we haven't heard of many, or perhaps any, water pump changes here.
I am on my 4th replacement under warranty. That is 5 water pumps in less than 90,000 miles. The first replacement, lasted about a year. The second replacement lasted about 6 weeks.
The third replacement lasted about 1 day. The fourth replacement has been installed for about two months now and I have no leaks.

Dealer tech keeps complaining about the design and the number of O rings involved. I looked into the job myself and I have to say I am glad the dealer is doing it under warranty. There is very little room to r&r the water pump on this truck. I am sure that is why the tech was pissed off.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Just had new water pump installed under warranty at ~30k.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Kazimodo those holes are also for the water pump, all the holes on the face are water pump. There is a tube that bolts to the back of water pump and it runs through the center of the engine into another tube with a o-ring.This is what bothered me, why wouldn't you just make it one piece? Instead they put a tube on the back of pump about 12 inches long, 2" diameter and just pops over another tube that is in the center of the block. I would assume that tube runs rite to the turbo.
Thanks Teameno86 , so the 2 holes in the picture would be to bring coolant to the heads ,
one day I'll see that extra tube you are talking about .......
you assume correctly , and another member ( gonein10 ) )who works on trucks like ours , mentioned
the coolant lines to the turbo , he called the rings at the turbo " banjo rings " . in here :

from Gonein10 : thread : post # 23 :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...t-leak-passes-pressure-test-2.html#post837121

1) If your getting a strong smell IN the cab ,could possibly be the heater core. Check the carpet, passenger side upper left foot well and see if its damp.

2) The turbo has 2 Bango fittings that circulate coolant through the turbo. If they were to leak it would burn off on the hot turbo and exhaust and not show signs of a leak.

3) there are 2 hard lines that run from behind the water pump and under the intake. They have O-rings and when they leak it is very difficult to notice the leak.

With number 2 and 3 situation you would have to remove the cab of the truck to do the repair.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
modified the image , I can see a tube back there ,
Teameno86 , does the extra tube from back of water pump just seat press fit in that tube ,

not much room to make a good union back there ....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The tribe has spoken....We have numerous water pump failures..... Curious you folks posting in this thread that have had water pump failures did you have a EGR failure before or after a water pump replaced? It’s been reported a low coolant issue because of a leaking EGR starves the water pump of coolant which also is the lubricant for the water pump..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Had my water pump replaced under warranty at 60,000 miles. There was a very obvious leak coming from the front of the engine - pooling in the driveway and garage after running for a while. Didn't/haven't had an EGR issue - yet - and I don't think it was anything other than a leak at the pump.

Really thankful it was a warranty replacement. A Mopar pump alone is about $500 plus the PIA to R&R the pump. Dealer didn't mention anything about replacing fuel lines and there's no indication on the work order that they had to. But I'm almost at 90K miles now and no issues. Guess I took it for granted that an EcoD water pump is like every other one I've replaced over the years. Based on some of the posts here about multiple pumps to fix the issue I guess I've been fortunate...

Bob

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks like I am due for my 6th water pump. The 4th replacement is leaking like a sieve. What a pain in the ...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sheepdogtrail .... 6 water pump failures , I believe you have another issue causing the water pumps to fail....
Well 5 water pumps have failed. #6 is going in Thursday.

I would have no idea on why my truck is going to water pump #6 in less than 91K miles. I certainly don't abuse it.

I am all ears if someone has a clue.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,773 Posts
I would have no idea on why my truck is going to water pump #6 in less than 91K miles. I certainly don't abuse it.
Is it the shaft seal that's leaking?
If it hasn't already been replaced, I would flush the system and refill with fresh fluid to hopefully eliminate any contaminates.
Maybe try a new pully? It's possibly slightly out of round and the shaft seal is taking the brunt of the vibration.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts