RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Sheepdog.... As mentioned above,start by checking the run out of all the shafts /pulleys attached to the drive belt , a magnetic dial indicator should work,it might be a little tricky to mount to read the run out .. And possibly flushing the coolant system for contamination? Not doubting this theory, I personally have never seen this issue, I’m guessing your coolant is probably new ? Not reusing old coolant?

Before you take it apart look closely at all the pulleys when the engine is running their not shaking or Wobbling...Especially the main pulley on crankshaft aka Harmonic balancer.... Their mounted with rubber in between crankshaft housing and pulley and I’ve seen them screw up many of times ....

Good luck ,your dealing with an abnormality 6 water pumps are too many , BTW basically your driving style should not be causing this issue.....

Please keep the forum updated with your findings.....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well 5 water pumps have failed. #6 is going in Thursday.

I would have no idea on why my truck is going to water pump #6 in less than 91K miles. I certainly don't abuse it.

I am all ears if someone has a clue.
I would be real curious to see what a truck that has been leaking on and off since day one looks like... The pics shared above show massive amounts of corrosion around where the O-rings would seat against. That combined with the tech comments about O-rings , would lead me to wonder if (at least at this point) corrosion is the issue.. I know looks can be deceiving , but a picture is also worth a thousand words. I would ask them to shoot you a few pics next time they have it apart.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Changed the water pump and thermostat today. Searching before, I came across a thread where dealer told owner they needed to replace fuel rail and replace new. I just unscrewed line with 3/4 inch wrench and moved out of the way. View attachment 77532 Whole job took about 2 hrs. Went slow, first time on a diesel. View attachment 77528 View attachment 77526
Dealer tech keeps complaining about the design and the number of O rings involved. I looked into the job myself and I have to say I am glad the dealer is doing it under warranty. There is very little room to r&r the water pump on this truck. I am sure that is why the tech was pissed off.
I would not let any tech who is "angry" work on my vehicle.. This to me is a true sign of a incompetent , and unprofessional person. Granted it would be frustrating changing pump after pump , but YOU are the ONLY one who should be mad about the situation.

I would not let a local dealer touch my truck after I asked the service advisor to briefly speak to the tech ( a older gentleman). When he went up to ask him (about 20ft from me) the tech stomped off angry stating he doesn't have time for that , and refused to speak to me. I told the service advisor I would go somewhere else then.. He tried to convince me to stay , but HELL NO !

I went to a different dealer , and before I could even ask, the tech came up to talk to me on his own free will.. What a difference ! This tech was WAY more professional , and took his job seriously. Never once got "Angry" about issues that came up as we went through my EGR replacement. Not everything went perfect , but he remained professional about the whole ordeal.

Do you get to talk to the tech himself ? Or are you talking to a service advisor (Bullshitter in chief)?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would not let any tech who is "angry" work on my vehicle.. This to me is a true sign of a incompetent , and unprofessional person. Granted it would be frustrating changing pump after pump , but YOU are the ONLY one who should be mad about the situation.

I would not let a local dealer touch my truck after I asked the service advisor to briefly speak to the tech ( a older gentleman). When he went up to ask him (about 20ft from me) the tech stomped off angry stating he doesn't have time for that , and refused to speak to me. I told the service advisor I would go somewhere else then.. He tried to convince me to stay , but HELL NO !

I went to a different dealer , and before I could even ask, the tech came up to talk to me on his own free will.. What a difference ! This tech was WAY more professional , and took his job seriously. Never once got "Angry" about issues that came up as we went through my EGR replacement. Not everything went perfect , but he remained professional about the whole ordeal.

Do you get to talk to the tech himself ? Or are you talking to a service advisor (Bullshitter in chief)?
I would not say the tech is angry. At least they have not shown any around me. My take is the tech is trying his best and has done many water pumps in the past 6 years that he has been working there. He is just frustrated. Like myself. The picture from the other post and the suggestion to have some picts taken from the water pump housing is a good one. I will ask that they do that. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: POHLHAMMER

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good luck !! Hope they can figure this one out for you.. What a PITA !

·
Registered
155 Posts
My truck is going in to get looked at Thursday for what I think is a possible stuck thermostat- truck takes forever to get up to temperature, temperature goes up when pulling a hill, and loses temperature going down hill or sitting idling. I'm wondering if this would be covered under the powertrain warranty or not (2015, 69k miles)? Or would it be better to do this job myself? I've changed thermostats on other vehicles, but this job seems to be an entirely different beast.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just a update. Apparently, my coolant leak is suspected to be coming from the Turbo supply line. They are not sure if it is that and they want to remove the manifold to have a closer look. They say the turbo supply line is not covered under the 100,000 mile power train warranty. They quoted me $1400.00 in labor and $700 for the part.

For those that know, is there a way for them to ID the problem for sure without removing the manifold?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just a update. Apparently, my coolant leak is suspected to be coming from the Turbo supply line. They are not sure if it is that and they want to remove the manifold to have a closer look. They say the turbo supply line is not covered under the 100,000 mile power train warranty. They quoted me $1400.00 in labor and $700 for the part.

For those that know, is there a way for them to ID the problem for sure without removing the manifold?
WOW! $1400 FOR labour, that is a lot . I say it involves lifting up the cab to get to the manifold. That is an expensive gamble if it doesn't solve the problem. Of course dealer will never admit if turbo line is ok. Someone has to pay for all that work after all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Replaced my first water pump under warranty at 45000mi. It was leaking slowly from the shaft and I lost the heat on the highway. Needed 1/2 gallon of coolant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changed the water pump and thermostat today. Searching before, I came across a thread where dealer told owner they needed to replace fuel rail and replace new. I just unscrewed line with 3/4 inch wrench and moved out of the way.

Whole job took about 2 hrs. Went slow, first time on a diesel.
Thanks for posting your disassembly images Teameno86.

I wonder if you have any tips or "gotchas" to share from having completed the replacement? I'm about to replace the water pump on my EcoDiesel and am seeking as much information on the scope of works as possible.

I would be particularly interested to hear if you replaced the o-ring that seals the turbo coolant port recessed into block?

At this point I only have the three green seals, and am wondering if I should chase up the o-ring prior to starting... and/or anything else. Maybe yhe thermostat housing o-ring?

Anecdotally, the vehicle has only done 37,000 km. The pump failed due to low coolant and high temperature due to some Muppet only fitting the expansion tank cap to the first detent. Here's an image of the leak, detected using a make-up mirror under the water pump:

I'd also appreciate any additional commentary from other members.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Teameno86 how did you access the two bolts marked "4" on this diagram? It appears that you need to remove part "5" with the water pump... however it looks to still be installed in your photo.

My brain can't process!

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Barboots , reading post # 10 from Teameno , he talks about a 12 inch tube ,
would that be the part # 5 in your image , OR , is it another tube that plugs between part # 5
and then plugs into the tube Under the intake ??
BTW , thanks for the extra image .
And welcome to the site .
I assume you remove part # 5 with the water pump , and later put part # 5 on new water pump before reinstall.
Maybe Teameno can confirm or correct any part of this theory.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The part in the diagram didn't match that description so well, but I now realise it was the angle it was drawn from. This picture of the same part could indeed be 12" or so long.

My question was then how to access that rear hose clamp, which would be located on the pipe as pictured in the top right corner. However when I dredged up some better images of the inlet tube it became clear it's also a push-in o-ring seal.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
576 Posts
A update for all.

It turns out it was not the water pump that was leaking per say. It was the rubber portion of the tube feeding coolant to the turbo. Part # 68242889AA. This part is at the bottom of the top end. The only to get to it is to remove the entire top end of the engine. My tech complained to me on the quality of the rubber on the OEM part and choose to put a higher quality rubber hose back on the 2 stainless tubes. The rubber section is in the middle of the 2 stainless sections. This rubber tube gets exposed to high heat so in hind sight it would been better to put a silicon hose on. Oh well. We will see how far this goes.

In the process of removing the intake manifold to get to the tube I incurred additional cost to replace the gaskets (parts: 68148135AA , 68211212AA) on the intake manifold when the tech bolted it back together. Lastly, I also had to replace the tube kit for the fuel supply (part: 68334956AA) because that is also destroyed in removing the intake manifold.

Just under $2,000.00 I spent. Mostly labor. Parts where around $500.00. I can only wish that the engineers in the future use a silicon hose on new builds. I also am going to try to get FCA to reimburse me for that under my apparently coming additional warranty that I am suppose to get as part of the FCA , EPA/CARB settlement. All hoses and tubes to the turbo and coming from the turbo are claim to be covered. We will see.

On a side note, my EGR tube going into the intake was caked up with the black sticky soot. It was practically closed shut. When I was at the shop I took a wire brush to it and polished it up. I also could not believe all of the soot in the cylinders. The cylinder where the EGR tube bolts to was 15% ( i guess) caked up. All of the others where soothed, but not as bad.

IMG_20190129_170532347.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Steve, why do you intend to do this work yourself?
Your truck's water pump is covered by 5yr/100000km powertrain warranty.

Anecdotally, the vehicle has only done 37,000 km. The pump failed due to low coolant and high temperature due to some Muppet only fitting the expansion tank cap to the first.....

Cheers, Steve[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Crap, I was sure I have used quotation for the second half of my post but it doesn't show... anyways it's a part from Steve's post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Steve, why do you intend to do this work yourself?
Your truck's water pump is covered by 5yr/100000km powertrain warranty.
Unfortunately Australia is a different planet, and I also must confess that I have a Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. I hope that I can still hang around...

Cheers, Steve

21 - 40 of 65 Posts