RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My water pump has been dripping/seeping for the better part of a year. I recently got an estimate to fix it from the dealer.
$1,800. I said that was too much I'd just keep adding water. They then quoted me $1,200. Not sure if I'll have them do it or do it myself.
I do appreciate the pictures and mini how-to, Barboots.
$1287.30 is what they quoted me FWIW

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those ~$1250 prices would mean either: $300/hr for a skilled mechanic, or; two day's work for the apprentice. I wonder which inconceivable scenario the quote is based on?

But don't feel bad. In Australia it would only be the cost of the part... labour would be extra

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This thread has a lot of good information, so I'm going to see if I can add something to it. I went to run errands last week and came home about two hours later. I noticed a coolant spot where I had started the cold parked truck. By the time I got home, the truck was warm and there were no leaks. The next morning I noticed that it leaked again at startup. Our mornings have been in the single digits or low teens. I took it to the dealer (I'm still under the Powertrain Warranty). They looked and looked and couldn't find the source of the leak. The service advisor told me that they would go ahead and replace the water pump and bypass o-ring, but they couldn't see that it was leaking from those two areas. I have attached the paperwork from today. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Had you topped off the coolant recently? Mine has been spitting a little coolant from the overflow hose on startup after topping it off.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Had you topped off the coolant recently? Mine has been spitting a little coolant from the overflow hose on startup after topping it off.
Nope, I haven't touched it. It only leaks in the cold mornings.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts