RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2014 I special ordered my Ecodiesel. If memory serves me correctly, while tracking the progress of the order, it reached a point when no further changes would be permitted.

Saturday I placed a special order for a new Ram truck with an out of town dealer by phone. After sleeping on it overnight I felt my color choice was a mistake. Called the dealer this morning to make a change and he informed me they had submitted the order about an hour prior to my call and a VIN was created and no changes could be made.

Just have a hard time believing this so I called FCA customer care. These are the most noncommittal people I’ve ever dealt with and got nowhere.

Anyone know if the dealer is blowing smoke or if in fact changes aren’t allowed?

Thanx for any input.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I went on a plant tour of the Brampton, Ontario Chrysler/Dodge factory, and seeing how cars and trucks are built, I can see why there would be a point of ( no return) so to speak. Parts are coming from all over and everything is brought to each work station by robots. Was amazed how fast everything came together. When I was there, they were pumping out cars at the rate of 1 every 45 or 50 seconds 24 hours a day. Their computers must work a heck of a lot better than mine!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can definitely understand that. Such an immense assembly line couldn’t possibly survive without first class organization. And I totally understand at some point in the progress that changes are impractical. But I just can’t fathom that a color change couldn’t be accommodated within an hour of being submitted.

I’m amazed that a VIN was assigned that quickly and he claims that it’s in D1 status already and no changes can be made. I’m seeing accounts of it taking 2-4 weeks before an order reaches D1 status. Totally different than 5 years ago.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Back in 2014 I special ordered my Ecodiesel. If memory serves me correctly, while tracking the progress of the order, it reached a point when no further changes would be permitted.

Saturday I placed a special order for a new Ram truck with an out of town dealer by phone. After sleeping on it overnight I felt my color choice was a mistake. Called the dealer this morning to make a change and he informed me they had submitted the order about an hour prior to my call and a VIN was created and no changes could be made.

Just have a hard time believing this so I called FCA customer care. These are the most noncommittal people I’ve ever dealt with and got nowhere.

Anyone know if the dealer is blowing smoke or if in fact changes aren’t allowed?

Thanx for any input.
Hi: boocoodinkydow... Sure hope you didn't order "Orange crush"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi: boocoodinkydow... Sure hope you didn't order "Orange crush"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Nope. Nothing that drastic. I ordered an ivory (looks white to me) limited w/indigo/frost interior. Got DW’s blessing by using ram build site. We carried the Ecodiesel up this morning for the AEM and they had one on the lot. She went ape$hit; said the int/ext colors didn’t go together at all. I thought it was ok but what do I know?! Now I’m stuck with getting a new color on MY truck or trading wives. Hmmmmmm. Feel like tossing a coin on that one right now!

·
Administrator
8,678 Posts
Nope. Nothing that drastic. I ordered an ivory (looks white to me) limited w/indigo/frost interior. Got DW’s blessing by using ram build site. We carried the Ecodiesel up this morning for the AEM and they had one on the lot. She went ape$hit; said the int/ext colors didn’t go together at all. I thought it was ok but what do I know?! Now I’m stuck with getting a new color on MY truck or trading wives. Hmmmmmm. Feel like tossing a coin on that one right now!
I think your color choice sounds fabulous, but I haven't seen it in person.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

Thanx for any input.
My recollection with my dealer on my special order March or so of 2014 was changes were possible until a VIN was assigned which back then, didn't happen for a few weeks after order was placed. Perhaps the low markup out of town dealers price things so tightly they just don't want to waste time dealing with such things. How much below sticker or invoice price did you pay?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I ordered a 1-ton cummins in 2010. I don't know if they just weren't up on it or if I just wasn't that concerned at the time, but I didn't get updates like when the vin was made etc. But my dealer did everything they could to get me to NOT order a truck and they made it very clear to me that when I placed my order and my deposit was cashed it was done and I couldn't change anything and I wasn't going to get that deposit back if I didn't want the truck.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Another thought I have is if the out of town dealer is a high volume and high stock dealer you might be able to convince him to switch your original order into a stock order and reorder a revised one for you. Even if you have to give up a few bucks it may be worth it for marital bliss!..;)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'm calling BS on the part of the dealer. Granted I've only ordered one truck, my '16, but it took days for the VON to be issued, and up to a week before the VIN was issued. Get some advice from another dealer, or ask to speak to management. Call FCA Customer Care if you have to. You're paying too much money to get the run-around and fed a story.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
My original 2014 Ecodiesel came with a big paint defect on the hood and they were going to repaint it in their shop. I said that wasn't OK. THey said that was fine and they would reorder if I was OK with waiting and I was. They sold my original order to a local guy who didn't care about the flaw. He had been a long time ford buyer. Sometime after my second truck came I parked in a small town nearby and as I was getting out the identical truck parked across the street. The guy came across the street and told me that he bet he had my original truck and he was so happy I rejected it. His wife fell in love with the color and forced him to buy it and the local dealer was a Ford/FCA dealer. He said he couldn't believe how nice the Longhorn Ram was compared to the high trim level Fords he had been buying. A few months later the dealer told me he traded it in on a new special order Hemi Ram having had a few CELs with the truck. Then someone from Iowa bought the truck site unseen from the Northern Wisconsin dealer and it disappeared from the area.

The dealer tells me that the fellow has bought another new Ram since then.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My original 2014 Ecodiesel came with a big paint defect on the hood and they were going to repaint it in their shop. I said that wasn't OK. THey said that was fine and they would reorder if I was OK with waiting and I was. They sold my original order to a local guy who didn't care about the flaw. He had been a long time ford buyer. Sometime after my second truck came I parked in a small town nearby and as I was getting out the identical truck parked across the street. The guy came across the street and told me that he bet he had my original truck and he was so happy I rejected it. His wife fell in love with the color and forced him to buy it and the local dealer was a Ford/FCA dealer. He said he couldn't believe how nice the Longhorn Ram was compared to the high trim level Fords he had been buying. A few months later the dealer told me he traded it in on a new special order Hemi Ram having had a few CELs with the truck. Then someone from Iowa bought the truck site unseen from the Northern Wisconsin dealer and it disappeared from the area.

The dealer tells me that the fellow has bought another new Ram since then.
I vaguely remember that incident. If I remember right you and I were tracking our vehicles on another forum and received the about the same time. Mine is almost identical with the exception of the secondary color.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm calling BS on the part of the dealer. Granted I've only ordered one truck, my '16, but it took days for the VON to be issued, and up to a week before the VIN was issued. Get some advice from another dealer, or ask to speak to management. Call FCA Customer Care if you have to. You're paying too much money to get the run-around and fed a story.
I did actually talk to another dealer since posting here. He verified that changes weren’t possible after it reached status D1 and a VIN was assigned. I’m still confused as to how I got a VIN within an hour. Very different from my first experience.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My recollection with my dealer on my special order March or so of 2014 was changes were possible until a VIN was assigned which back then, didn't happen for a few weeks after order was placed. Perhaps the low markup out of town dealers price things so tightly they just don't want to waste time dealing with such things. How much below sticker or invoice price did you pay?
That’s my recollection as well.

The discount wasn’t anything spectacular; about $10k. I’m loosing my negotiation skills as I age it appears. Just not as much fun as it used to be.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what did you order?

Know you can't order a new Ecodiesel so ...
Hello Cap.

I ordered the Ecodiesel back in 2014 with plans to tow a small RV and the wife and I were going to spend a while touring this great country of ours. Unfortunately, before plans could reach fruition, she developed a debilitating condition that brought our plans to a halt.

While I’ve definitely enjoyed my Ecodiesel over the past five years, it’s time for a change and I’m not going to be hauling anything other than one of my motorcycles occasionally. I understand there’s a new diesel probably over the horizon for 2020 but just don’t have the need and financial justification just doesn’t work for me. I actually opted for the pentastar this go round. We’ll see.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hello Cap.

I ordered the Ecodiesel back in 2014 with plans to tow a small RV and the wife and I were going to spend a while touring this great country of ours. Unfortunately, before plans could reach fruition, she developed a debilitating condition that brought our plans to a halt.

While I’ve definitely enjoyed my Ecodiesel over the past five years, it’s time for a change and I’m not going to be hauling anything other than one of my motorcycles occasionally. I understand there’s a new diesel probably over the horizon for 2020 but just don’t have the need and financial justification just doesn’t work for me. I actually opted for the pentastar this go round. We’ll see.
So I am wanting a 2020 PEntastar too. I would very much appreciate your comments on how it performs and the mileage you get once you get the new one, whatever color it is. I decided to wait for the 2020 in hopes I can get a Longhorn, 6'4" box and airsuspension. I cannot do that with a Longhorn but can with a Limited. No idea why. ALso, perhaps they will have a Rambox on the 6'4" bed next year.

I am also curious what rear end ratio you ordered. Ihave been thinking 3.55 but the 3.92 with the electronic locker seems like a nice feature and is actually cheaper than a limited slip differential and upgrade to 3.55 from the std 3.22. 3.22 seems very high speed for that engine to me.

I sure wish some magazine or blog would do some real world test on identical trucks except for rear end ratio and do some acceleration, towing and economy tests. Even the dealers don't have much guidance on it. Seems like most choices are based upon anything but good technical information.

I have a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica and I really like the PEntastar, smooth, quiet and plenty of power.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts