RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anybody here ever change the battery of their truck? I went to an Advance Auto Parts and the battery my truck takes is a $200 battery and they can't install it due to something with having to reset the computer. Has anyone experienced this? Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Try Batteries + Bulbs.

Okay, I got too curious. The listed price for the correct battery is $214.99 for a Duracell. Take the 15% off and the cost is $182.74. There is a $12 core charge, and it's unclear whether that's part of the price or in addition to the price. Also, it appears that there is another $10 mail in rebate. So that would bring the price down to $172.74. And it looks like they will install it.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
^^^^ this especially
Don't let the parts guy(or your wallet) talk you out of using an AGM battery.
I guess ill have to guinea pig it, almost certain I will reaplce mine with a wet cell battery at 1/2 the price of an agm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got mine at Advance Auto for around $185. AGM is suppose to be a great battery but mine failed after only 2.5years. Very disappointing but hopefully this new one will last longer. I would recommend going somewhere local only because you should get a replacement warranty and if it fails early, like mine did, at least you can take it back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im aware. Are agm's better, I believe they are. At the cost differential does it warrant one? I don't think so. I don't need or want the best of a lot of things.
I'm certainly no expert on these things, but I've done a good deal of research on the AGM batteries and in my opinion, you should definitely stick with one for new vehicles with tons of electronics like these trucks. I don't want to ever go out to my vehicle (somewhere other than at home) and find that I'm stranded because the battery is dead because the gps, or some other computer crap, or my air suspension decided to do things while the truck was off.

I can tell you on a personal level that I actually spent a bunch of extra money to get an AGM for my '04 Silverado a few months ago when it finally needed replacing (other one was 5 years old and was beginning to act a bit weak at times). And it has been great ever since. Now that is a special use case for that truck because I am a rural mail carrier and that truck is currently my carry vehicle, so it spends a lot of time with lights running and from the start of my route to the end of my route, the beacon light is running even when I have to cut the vehicle off to make deliveries or deliver to cluster boxes. So vehicle off times with a strobe running can easily hit 10-20 minutes depending on how many boxes I have to serve and how much mail I have for them. I've found that the AGM does great for that with no noticeable change in strength even with all that time. Again that's a bit of a special case, but it does seem to say to me that it was worth the price.

Edit - I bought the AGM for my Silverado from Advance with a coupon I found online and I think my final price was something like right at $185

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I replaced the battery in my "15" I debated a bit before I stayed with the AGM style battery.
One of the convincing things to me was that there was absolutely no corrosion on the battery terminals or the hold downs.
That was a first for me, I have not seen a battery go for several years and not have any corrosion on the connections or posts.
My Harley also has an AGM and as my other stuff needs batteries they will be getting AGM's or lithiums.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Finally replaced my OEM battery today with an Autozone AGM H8 Group 49. Choose not to cheap out since Johnson Controls manufactures the Duralast AGM. The other logic was the OEM AGM lasted 194,000 miles and 4,685 hours in hot ass Florida extreme heat The hours impressed me more than miles. Threw away the monkey fur that wrapped the battery...maybe this one will last 4,690 hours now...

IMO would have went through 2-3 wet cells in this same time period coupled with the great experience switching from wet cell to AGM in my twin Yamaha outboards made it a non decision. Chronic seasonal battery issues resolved for 7 straight years with the marine AGMs..

Still a crap shoot for individual batteries however in the end between my outboards and factory Ram battery devolving to a wet cell to save $80 was not an option for me..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, very timely that this post was just written. My 2015 has 67K on it and I noticed in the last couple days that it was slow cranking. I went to an Interstate battery center near me today and they tested battery and said it was showing 12.5 amps or volts (can't remember which) and the guy said it was on the lower side but no reason to replace it yet. He said the replacement was $185 and sent me on my way.

I go out to start the truck after work and of course, it is dead. Warning for everyone here, if your truck is slow cranking...replace your battery!

Jump start got it going and now I have a check engine light on. Back to interstate in the morning to get a new battery, hopefully don't have to go to the dealer to cancel the check engine light.

Anybody know if there are any tricks to removing/installing the battery before I tackle it in their parking lot?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try Batteries + Bulbs.

Okay, I got too curious. The listed price for the correct battery is $214.99 for a Duracell. Take the 15% off and the cost is $182.74. There is a $12 core charge, and it's unclear whether that's part of the price or in addition to the price. Also, it appears that there is another $10 mail in rebate. So that would bring the price down to $172.74. And it looks like they will install it.
Not a bad deal. I ordered it and will have it installed tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am usually the last person to recommend the dealer, but it never hurts to check. I believe the last time I inquired at my local dealer, it was under $200 and they would change it for no 'charge.'

Yes, I said that.

If they happen to have any offers at your dealer or a newsletter with a coupon code, or you are in good graces with them, maybe they have an offer code to share with you. Again, it is worth the call. If you are in for AEM and you mention the battery is weak, they might get it all taken care of in under 2 hours. However, I will add that when I asked back in the 'dead' of Winter, my dealer was going to have to order this battery. It would take one or two days and they admitted that it was not a 'standard' battery for them to stock. Strange, but your dealer may vary.

My X5 (BMW) is from 2005. It is on its second BMW battery. I went ahead and spent $30 more to purchase OEM from the dealer. They did not offer to install it for me, though. However, with a power sensitive transmission (ZF on that vehicle, also, by the way), that was the most noticeable improvement I had made to the BMW in over 10 years of ownership and over 200K miles put on by me. To have saved $30 for a different brand AGM would have been foolish in my book. Also look at the warranty when you buy certain brands. All batteries are not the same. If I recall, the Duracell has at least a 3 year full replacement warranty. I believe the factory battery is 1 year, then pro-rated after that up to 5 years? But I am going on my memory there. Ask before you decide which battery to buy -- and base it on your plans for the truck. I plan to keep my 2015 at least through the extended 48,000 mile warranty. This will be interesting because they tested my battery and said it was fine during the Winter, though I had some doubts because of my "Service Electronic Throttle Control" error and limp mode issues. It was not the battery, though all batteries have a limited lifespan.

Not sure if these Lithium Ferrous Phosphate (lithium-ion) batteries are going to be an option for our vehicles, but I love the one I use in my KTM. That thing can sit all Winter and half the Summer -- freezing or cooking -- and put a voltmeter on the posts and it will read 12.5V or higher. With no charging whatsoever. Amazing CC amps from an extremely light (and smaller footprint) battery. The cost was higher than a typical wet battery, but so far, it has served my needs for over 7 years in my 2008 KTM 530 EXC-R. In that sense, I could have easily purchased 3 typical wet batteries in that time-frame without the benefits of the better battery, which would have cost more than the Ballistic battery.

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts
Our trucks are set up to recharge an AGM battery as it’s a little different than charging a regular battery. When my truck was down the factory battery died and the shop replaced it with a top quality regular battery (Deka) It died inside 2 years I think due to less than an optimal recharge by the truck. Warranty replaced the battery. When it dies again even under warranty I’m going back to a proper for the truck AGM.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts