RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Took my truck in to have them look at a small oil leak yesterday, and I printed out the TSB and error messages/emails I'd been getting and asked them to be sure the battery was OK (because I had seen some posts saying that after weeks of phantom messages, they did actually have a battery die). They said I was the first one with these symptoms they'd seen, so they went ahead and did tests of the battery and the alternator: everything checked out OK.

I don't know whether to look forward to the next uConnect update or to be worried about what new problems that update creates.

It is two days after they did the update and the alert emails have started again.
Based on traffic on this thread, it appears the problems started after the last update, which my vehicle received in early November. The uConnect website says my vehicle is up to date, so while an update will certainly be the way to fix this problem, I don't believe there is an update out there yet. My guess is your dealer was updating some other software package, but not the uConnect software where the error seems to be.

Based on traffic on this thread, it appears the problems started after the last update, which my vehicle received in early November. The uConnect website says my vehicle is up to date, so while an update will certainly be the way to fix this problem, I don't believe there is an update out there yet. My guess is your dealer was updating some other software package, but not the uConnect software where the error seems to be.
The uConnect website says I am up to date as well. Not very impressed with the technology.

Strange Alert message on my Ram App Phone yesterday. Charging System! "if the symbol lights up when the engine has been started, this indicates a charging system failure." However, nothing has light up on the dash. I've driven the truck, a 2022 Longhorn several times the past two days and the battery symbol does not light up and no other error messages display. It's just the phone app. The Truck runs great, starts right up, goes fast and doesn't use any gas. I popped the hood and checked the battery cables--tight. I put a charger on. No clue why the phone app gave me this message. Except, two days ago I did get a Uconnect update.... Very suspicious Has anyone else seen this app message?
I have Same issue in my truck

Discussion starter · #28 · (Edited)
Follow up.
I started getting the alert message on my 12 inch Uconnect screen every time I started and turned the truck off. I took it into the service dept last week. They checked it out, battery, alternator, etc. Everything is ok. They got an updated flash for the screen and that stopped the alert message. Nothing wrong with the truck or charging system!

The service dept said they got 3 trucks in with the same problem the day I brought mine in. I suggest calling your local Ram service and asking if there is an updated flash to download yourself before wasting time going to the dealer service dept. I found this link, maybe it will help, but I don't know if it's a Uconnect issue or some other flash of the system:

Follow up.
I started getting the alert message on my 12 inch Uconnect screen every time I started and turned the truck off. I took it into the service dept last week. They checked it out, battery, alternator, etc. Everything is ok. They got an updated flash for the screen and that stopped the alert message. Nothing wrong with the truck or charging system!

The service dept said they got 3 trucks in with the same problem the day I brought mine in. I suggest calling your local Ram service and asking if there is an updated flash to download yourself before wasting time going to the dealer service dept. I found this link, maybe it will help:

Thank you. I will have to check it out. We only received the message on the screen one night. I say "one night" because it flashed up about 15 times when we started up the truck. We would select "Ok" or hit the X but it kept popping up. Has not done it since. We just keep getting emails from Mopar and the Ram app.

Follow up.

The service dept said they got 3 trucks in with the same problem the day I brought mine in. I suggest calling your local Ram service and asking if there is an updated flash to download yourself before wasting time going to the dealer service dept. I found this link, maybe it will help:

Thanks for the link, but nothing listed for my VIN. I did see this on an FB group. I haven't had my truck on for a few days, so I don't know if I'll get that automatically.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology Number

Thanks TumaloKeith for starting this thread, for last few days I have been getting the VHR with this exact charging system issue flagged, and was preparing my self for the trip to the dealer....but thanks to GDE for the info, I appreciate and will wait for the OTS update.
I have the exact same issue as well on my 2022 Ram Limited Ecodiesel for the past 3 weeks. I’ve called Ram - I’ve called the dealer - they are clueless. However, every day I start my truck I get an email from Ram that there is a charging system issue … voltage is fine - and there are no icons on the dash indicating a problem. Thanks for the info - like others, will wait before going to the dealer.

I have the exact same issue as well on my 2022 Ram Limited Ecodiesel for the past 3 weeks. I’ve called Ram - I’ve called the dealer - they are clueless. However, every day I start my truck I get an email from Ram that there is a charging system issue … voltage is fine - and there are no icons on the dash indicating a problem. Thanks for the info - like others, will wait before going to the dealer.
I got this today from RamCares. With ca. 50% of the new trucks having this issue, I don't see why any one truck matters.

"At this time, we don't have an ETA for a fix, however sending over your VIN is extremely helpful as it assists with us documenting the number of people who are experiencing this issue. We can also get you some technical support while your vehicle is at the dealer. Can you confirm the date of your last or next service with your dealer? "

Strange Alert message on my Ram App Phone yesterday. Charging System! "if the symbol lights up when the engine has been started, this indicates a charging system failure.
Has anyone else seen this app message?
Me too. Here's my story: received brand new 1500 Bighorn ecodiesel in May, love it but in November (~11,000 miles) I got the charging system/battery alert on the screen with email and phone messages too. Started and ran fine in fairly cold weather, upper 20s - low 30s. Drove it for a week or so with more messages but no performance issues. Took it to the dealer after Thanksgiving weekend and they apparently found the battery was insufficiently charged to properly test so they charged it up, then it passed their test and they gave it back. That seemed pretty phony to me and it was - the messages came right back. When I monitor the voltage from the dashboard it is a little under 12 after starting, then is 13-14+ while driving which seems sufficient to charge the battery. Took it back after a couple of weeks driving with no issues but lots of messages, this time they "cleaned and tightened contacts plus found a wire that wasn't attached to the + terminal" - that also seemed kind of phony and didn't fix it either. Still getting the email messages.
I wish I had payed attention to the dashboard voltage monitoring before this started. Also I wonder if it started after a software update like some mentioned - I did have one of these pop up spontaneously on my dash one day at home and it apparently downloaded. It was certainly before the charging issue began but I can't recollect the timing of the update.

I'm waiting til after New Year to take it back in and will report back to the forum with the results.

Strange Alert message on my Ram App Phone yesterday. Charging System! "if the symbol lights up when the engine has been started, this indicates a charging system failure." However, nothing has light up on the dash. I've driven the truck, a 2022 Longhorn several times the past two days and the battery symbol does not light up and no other error messages display. It's just the phone app. The Truck runs great, starts right up, goes fast and doesn't use any gas. I popped the hood and checked the battery cables--tight. I put a charger on. No clue why the phone app gave me this message. Except, two days ago I did get a Uconnect update.... Very suspicious Has anyone else seen this app message?
yes I am getting the notification also. I have contacted the dealer and RAM connect and they have no answers.

Me too. Here's my story: received brand new 1500 Bighorn ecodiesel in May, love it but in November (~11,000 miles) I got the charging system/battery alert on the screen with email and phone messages too. Started and ran fine in fairly cold weather, upper 20s - low 30s. Drove it for a week or so with more messages but no performance issues. Took it to the dealer after Thanksgiving weekend and they apparently found the battery was insufficiently charged to properly test so they charged it up, then it passed their test and they gave it back. That seemed pretty phony to me and it was - the messages came right back. When I monitor the voltage from the dashboard it is a little under 12 after starting, then is 13-14+ while driving which seems sufficient to charge the battery. Took it back after a couple of weeks driving with no issues but lots of messages, this time they "cleaned and tightened contacts plus found a wire that wasn't attached to the + terminal" - that also seemed kind of phony and didn't fix it either. Still getting the email messages.
I wish I had payed attention to the dashboard voltage monitoring before this started. Also I wonder if it started after a software update like some mentioned - I did have one of these pop up spontaneously on my dash one day at home and it apparently downloaded. It was certainly before the charging issue began but I can't recollect the timing of the update.

I'm waiting til after New Year to take it back in and will report back to the forum with the results.
It seems like a lot of the problems started in the Fall. Do you remember getting an OTA update or did you take it in for anything? I don't know if you would get the OTA update without your OK.

It seems like a lot of the problems started in the Fall. Do you remember getting an OTA update or did you take it in for anything? I don't know if you would get the OTA update without your OK.
I don't know what "OTA update" is but as I noted, I did apparently receive some kind of software update - as per my hazy memory, a notice came up on the video console that an update would download automatically and it seems like it did - I did not notice anything different and can't remember exactly when that occurred although it was sometime before the charging system stuff began.
I am still getting the charging system alerts, apparently at random, one every two or three days with no indication of any problem with performance. Seems to me the bad software theory has some merit. Hope they figure this out...

I don't know what "OTA update" is but as I noted, I did apparently receive some kind of software update - as per my hazy memory, a notice came up on the video console that an update would download automatically and it seems like it did - I did not notice anything different and can't remember exactly when that occurred although it was sometime before the charging system stuff began.
I am still getting the charging system alerts, apparently at random, one every two or three days with no indication of any problem with performance. Seems to me the bad software theory has some merit. Hope they figure this out...
That's the "Over the Air" update. I still haven't seen one, but I think I got updated in the shop in November. The problem went from occasional to constant--every start and stop.

Today I got an app message and email (with, as before, no MIL or other warning light in the vehicle) telling me about a “Vehicle Electronic Throttle Control Alert.” Hadn’t seen that one before.

When I looked at the app, I noticed that “Electronic Throttle Control” is now the first item on the list (where “Charging System” used to be) and “Charging System” is missing entirely. So my operating hypothesis is that because they didn’t know another way to fix the problem, they removed the Charging System from the App/account system entirely, and so now the new first thing on the list trips instead as a result of whatever bug they have.

The funniest part is that every time I open the app, they tell me “Action Required!” and I should pay to subscribe to their services because of how valuable they are.

I love the truck. I hate the app.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.