RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The $35 pan i bought and installed on my 2014 ecodiesel zf8 trans. It has 4 magnets in the pan just like the the mopar pan, filter element looks similar to the mopar one also. I only have a 1,000 mi on it so far with the valvoline maxlife tranny flyid but everything is as good as factory so far. Ill update if anything changes. I agree factory parts is always the way to go if you can afford it. But they dont sell the parts to help you be able to service your vehicle they sell them to make the most money as possible.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't know much about the pans, I'm pretty sure there are after market pans. I had the transmission oil drained and had the pan filter washed out, fluid replaced, the trans fluid here is $50.00 CDN per liter, $500.00 for trans fluid alone.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Or you could go with this pan: PPE Heavy-Duty Aluminum Transmission Pan 14-18 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Has a drain plug and you can change the filter plus it uses a reusable pan gasket so once you do the initial buy in the maintenance becomes less messy and easier.

Not sure I would trust a $30.00 plastic transmission pan on a several thousand dollar transmission.

The pan in the link I posted is aluminum and holds more fluid as well and aluminum will act as a better heat sink to remove heat than plastic.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It is not the ZF stock composite pan I am worried about but rather a cheap $30.00 plastic pan that could crack and fail. I will be going to the PPE Heavy Duty aluminum pan at some point. I just don't trust these China made cheap parts.

MSRP was $50,265 dollars for my Ram, so spending $263.99 one time for a quality aluminum pan that gives you more fluid capacity is really a cheap investment.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Heck, I ordered one... I will probably get the PPE one at some future time, when my finances are better. Heck, the Mopar oil and fuel filters are made in China. If it looks like crap, I'll toss it or use for target practice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts