RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

OK, you may recall my other thread about "A definitive answer on the block heater" where I was simply looking to see if the block heater is installed on a truck, even if you didn't pay the $100 as an option. Well... it is.

The next step was to find a heater cord that wasn't $100 from Ram, and I figured I would be able to find one, since Ram didn't build the engine. Well, I'm glad to say that there is one. I started with a simple look around at the company's who make heaters, and one of the more common names is Kats.

The Kats cord (p/n 28500) is a generic replacement. It's 5' long, and it's outer skin is constructed entirely out of a silicone. The best part is... IT'S ONLY $10 !!!! So, it can take the heat of the things around it. And, after fitting the cord... the OEM heat shield is a bit overkill, since it's well below the exhaust, and will be routed up with other wires.

On the original thread, I said that you could see the heater on the passenger side from underneath. Well... to give myself a few more inches, I put a jack under my front end, and just took the weight off the springs. In doing so.... I discovered that you can now see the heater though the passenger front wheel well. (makes it much easier to install)

And finally.... once I got it hooked up, I checked it with a meter to make sure it was wired correctly... and with a deep breath... I plugged it in. No fire.... and seemed to be doing it's thing. (lol)

SO.......

1) If you look in the passenger front wheel well... you will see the orange cap, covering the terminals on the heater. Just reach in and pull it out.

2) Drop the wire down, just behind the air box.

3) Grab the wire, and plug it into the heater.

4) Rout it however you like. I brought it up the large loom between the airbox and the engine... and there is just enough length to get the plug out of the hood. Leave an inch or so of slack, so the engine vibration/rocking doesn't pull the wire out.

5) I used a zip tie on the large loom, and a Velcro tie closer to the head light, so I can tuck it back under the hood when not in use.

6) If you want to protect the wire... also order the cover. ($4 --- p/n 28405)

I ordered it from Amazon. I'm sure if you look around, you can find it even cheaper.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dr. Honda - can you post a link on where to buy it (if available online)? I searched for it, but could not find a reseller. Going to continue looking....

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Great tip and documentation. Wonderful presentation.

I'm not going to get one. Unless someone dies up north and I have to visit, my coldest morning would be a rare one in Georgia at the hunting camp - high 20's. Then again, it may be useful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I travel to Colorado a lot for skiing so the cord would come in handy. I have seen some mornings below zero so the cord is needed.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just curious, when would you use a heater block?
This engine starts in the cold pretty good. But, generally... once it gets below freezing, it will help with everything. Makes it easier on the battery, starter, and if the block is warm, then you don't pollute the oil with fuel. Also... you will have heat in the cab sooner.

Reactions: redsunBC and Pip

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anyone know what size of the heating element is in these trucks? I've installed some aftermarket ones which were as high as 1500 watts.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know what size of the heating element is in these trucks? I've installed some aftermarket ones which were as high as 1500 watts.
I remember seeing somewhere that it's a 600w unit.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Took a peek at mine today. You are right. The plug is there.

I will order a cord.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Anyone just ask the dealer to throw it in? What good is a block heater without the cord?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone just ask the dealer to throw it in? What good is a block heater without the cord?
The dealer may not know that the heater is actually in the block. (yet) AND... the factory cord is $103. I'm sure they may work it into a deal, with a truck on the lot... but most of us at the moment are ordering direct.

Regardless.... eventually you will need a new cord. It's nice to know there is an inexpensive replacement.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Question...................from someone who has read about but never used a diesel block heater..................once you plug it in, is there an automatic sensor that switches it on/off as needed to maintain a minimum temperature and not exceed a maximum temp? Just thinking that 600 watts (if this is the capacity of the heater) seems like a lot of heating for the the block. Is there anyway it could overheat and cook the heating element unnecessarily ?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On some... there is a temp sensor. But, on this one... it looks like a simple heater. So... you will have to set it up on a timer. If you work a regular job... it's easy to have the timer kick on an hour or so before you are ready to head out.

Reactions: mutasimincalgary
1 - 20 of 110 Posts