RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had CEL illuminate at 1k miles, happened while driving. Not sure what's going. With engine off and key in 'run' position before starting, all lights cycle through like normal, but CEL and oil lights stay on. Upon starting I get 'low oil pressure' message, then oil light turns off but CEL stays on. Oil level on dip stick is full. There are zero messages to display on the screen. Oil pressure is at 14psi at idle in park, mid 20's at 50mph. Is this lower than what others are seeing? Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas? I am awaiting a call from the dealer to get the codes checked...

·
Registered
438 Posts
No issues & pressure is about the same as my truck. I see about 10psi more than whatever the rpm level is. 1800 rpm is 18+10=28psi

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
For some reason the oil pressure is kind of low on these engines. That bothered me at first but as others got their engines they all seem to be that way.

Keep us informed on how your light issue turns out.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Oil pressure on the 4 cylinders are lower than what some are use to, also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont have that problem but i am getting a lot of fumes in the cab after 3 wks of driving....especially when first started and after 20 minutes or so of traffic stop and go i have visible smoke
comeing up and out from the hood where the windshield meets it. will have to take it in tomorrow as i am getting asphyxiated with strong fumes....needless to say the "new car smell"
has disappeared.....

·
Registered
698 Posts
dont have that problem but i am getting a lot of fumes in the cab after 3 wks of driving....especially when first started and after 20 minutes or so of traffic stop and go i have visible smoke
comeing up and out from the hood where the windshield meets it. will have to take it in tomorrow as i am getting asphyxiated with strong fumes....needless to say the "new car smell"
has disappeared.....
Check this thread from Penndiana with a similar problem, leaking exhaust.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...r-valve-problem-my-exhaust-leak.html#post5364

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the oil pressure, keep in mind that the engine has only a switch - not a sensor. Every since truck will show the same oil pressure in the cluster.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm thinking it was just a hic-up in the software. As above... our pressure is lower than most are use to seeing. If the tolerances are correct... the lower pressure (along with thin oil) help with the MPG's.

If you have pressure now... I'm going to say, once it's reset... you will be fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You were exactly right. Just got back from the dealer, it was a miscellaneous software code. Everything about the truck checked out perfect. The tech reflashed it and ensured me all is well. Technical info from my service receipt is "RRT 14037" "REFLASH PCM RRT 14-037". Oil pressure is not an issue, about 9psi above RPM is normal. eg. 2500rpm = 24psi etc.

One other thing of note the tech found a re-call notice on the radio, "RECALL P15", and reflashed that as well. Not sure if others have needed this as well. FYI: I have the Uconnect 8.0 without Navigation.

All is well... Onward and upward!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Glad to hear it was a fluke.

The recall mentioned was for the passive entry system (I assume you have the push button start)

·
Registered
438 Posts
You were exactly right. Just got back from the dealer, it was a miscellaneous software code. Everything about the truck checked out perfect. The tech reflashed it and ensured me all is well. Technical info from my service receipt is "RRT 14037" "REFLASH PCM RRT 14-037". Oil pressure is not an issue, about 9psi above RPM is normal. eg. 2500rpm = 24psi etc.

!
You mean 2500 rpm = 34psi?

·
Registered
827 Posts
For the oil pressure, keep in mind that the engine has only a switch - not a sensor. Every since truck will show the same oil pressure in the cluster.
Not correct. Engine has a switch that goes to the cluster but it also has a sensor that goes to the EVIC. Therefore driver really can see oil pressure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not correct. Engine has a switch that goes to the cluster but it also has a sensor that goes to the EVIC. Therefore driver really can see oil pressure.
Sorry but there is only a pressure switch that indicates if a min value is achieved. The numbers displayed in the cluster are a model value based on theoretical best case scenario. All trucks will display the same # at the same engine speed.

The Cummins is the same way too - the oil pressure "gauge" is a dummy.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry but there is only a pressure switch that indicates if a min value is achieved. The numbers displayed in the cluster are a model value based on theoretical best case scenario. All trucks will display the same # at the same engine speed.

The Cummins is the same way too - the oil pressure "gauge" is a dummy.
Ah so, interesting argument. Well, that is certainly possible and I can't disprove it. That would certainly be the least cost solution which would appeal to the Marketing and Accounting dept's. The engineers would be grinding their teeth tho. If it turns out you are indeed right then I apologize for attempting to correct you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Longhorn Limited ED is 3 days old has the 850 miles and today the oil pressure light came on...the analog gauge shows 0 and the digital gauge shows 0 :( It got drove that way for 30-40 miles, the oil temp gauge is 210-213 also the check engine light isn't on. The engine seems to be running like a champ but I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. Anybody heard of this?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts