RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work today and the damn check engine light is illuminated. I cant believe this. I have 245 miles on the truck and already issues. Ill be taking it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The code is P2OBD on my scanner. The dash is flashing a service shifter message.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Back to the dealer I guess. Looks like you ended up with one of the first problems.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Burn it!!!! Lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
That sucks man I have 2230 miles on mine so far no issues other then trying to find a way to justify putting on new tires and wheels.

The burn it idea is pretty funny tho. Haha

·
Registered
92 Posts
Could be an computer issue. All your transmission and shifting is done by your computer. Could be software, my 2008 GMC Duramax had software issues. Hope its not a problem. Let us known.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I still vote burn it! That's what insurance is for.... and anybody who's burned diesel on an open fire can attest, it burns HOT!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Know how you feel I have mine going in to find out what is wrong with my exhaust. I hope that it is something simple but I am tired of smelling the thing when I come to a stop.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You should burn yours too! Both of ya get together and have a hell of a roast. Take a picture and send it to ram! Lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Know how you feel I have mine going in to find out what is wrong with my exhaust. I hope that it is something simple but I am tired of smelling the thing when I come to a stop.
Mine smells like burning sometimes too - I have just always assumed that it was due to a regen. Please post what the dealer says.

Sorry to hijack.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ph363, pop the hood and have someone push the accelerator and let off real fast, when I do this you can hear the turbo whistling. It is distinctive, not what you would hear if it were connected to the exhaust system. I have seen smoke coming from under the hood when I have lugged it in the driveway and at the sports shop this weekend going slow up a grade. I was hoping at first that it is what you were saying about the regen. I will know more tomorrow, hopefully.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had to take mine into the dealer yesterday afternoon. For the last several days have been getting a burnt smell in the cabin.... thought it might be residual Ziebart overspray burning off. Yesterday around noon I noticed a wet spot on the concrete underneath the engine. It was dripping antifreeze.:( Went to the service department. They looked at it immediately, found the bolts to the water pump were loose, about a 1 hour job to repair. Will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine has a very strong burnt smell this norning but it was not noticable in cab just outside. Hmmmmm might have to have dealer check that out tomorrow while they install my leveling kit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Which maybe its nothing as soon as I types this I toggled over to my current mpg and it was showing 21 @ 58mph then my DEF gauge slowly started moving. After a min or so back up to 27-30 at 65mph. Hmmmm ill still have them check just incase.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the truck in this morning and to drop it off and the check engine light was on, but when the technician got in the check engine light had reset. Thats just my luck. After putting it on the scanner they discovered two codes for the same thing "Communication Error." My service advisor said it was a low voltage issue that probably happened during shipment. I find this extremely hard to believe when I got my truck last Friday it had 11 miles on it. They cleared the code and drove the truck eight miles and they could not duplicate the issue. I drove the truck home and no check engine light. Im thinking there is more to this then they are saying. Anybody have an idea what my problem really is?

·
Registered
241 Posts
They can tell you more than that as my 2002 Cummins dumped the pump and they could tell me how many starts ago and what speed I was traveling when it threw the code. I would believe in the last 12 years that the technology only has gotten better but they can tell you this atleast.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny thing is Customer Service from Ram did a follow up call with me today to see how I was liking my new truck. I said "Ugh my truck is in the shop and Im pissed off".......silence for a few seconds and then she asked if I would like her to call the dealership to straighten it out. I said "No, its not their fault it's RAM's" Her response was well if your going to work it out with the dealership I will end this call and close out your customer survey. F N amazing. Thats todays customer service with RAM.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The person who called doesn't work for Ram. They are just a call center, and they don't have any answers.

As far as the check engine light... did you try to reset it yourself, with your scan tool? Over the years... I've had a few lights come on for no real reason. Once reset... they didn't come back. Let's face it... our new trucks are HEAVY on electronic communication. HEck... they don't even have a throttle, or shift cable anymore. AND, to make it worse... there are multiple control units, made by other manufactures. So... if the Ram ECU expects some feed back from some other unit... and it doesn't see it... you will get a CEL.

It could be a simple hick-up in the software.

NOW... if you reset it... and it comes back... then there is an issue. Personally... until it comes back on... I would worry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts