RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story:
If you don't want to read the background, just skip to the bottom line ;)
I've been noticing a funk in my truck. I thought it was just common for a truck with high miles to smell a bit when it's used as seldom as mine is. But then I needed something from under the seat and I discovered a whole ecosystem. I had ant colony, a growing mold/mushroom looking thing that looked like white veins going across the carpet, and about 1/2" of water, just flush with the bottom of those two tubs under the seat. I had my 3rd window open ONCE like a month before and it rained. I thought SHEESH, figured it'd evaporate. Well, I vacuumed it out, evicted the ants who were living in a moist roll of paper towels, sprayed Concrobium to get rid of the mold and the smell and let it all dry out. Worked like a charm. Truck smelled nice again. That is until it rained again. We had 4 days of solid rain and the water was back.

Bottom Line:
I looked on other forums and a guy had the exact same issue. Turns out there is a hole near the rear window right where those two black rubber tracks end. They guide teh water right in there. I haven't actually fixed it yet, but I plan to add a dab of clear or black silicone to that area to seal it up. I suggest you all check yours and maybe add that dab as a preventative measure.

·
Banned
388 Posts
What year is your ram?
My dad has the same problem with his 2016 ram hemi. We thought it was the gasket around the third brake light but after sewing that up it didn’t help.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
What year is your ram?
My dad has the same problem with his 2016 ram hemi. We thought it was the gasket around the third brake light but after sewing that up it didn’t help.
Probably the cab vent behind the rear seat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bounty Hunter, I had that issue on mine. Cab vents we're gone, little rubber flaps all gone, car wash took out my RF hub for a week. Had to pull out back seats and replace.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do you have a picture of these?
Pictures are here:

·
Registered
182 Posts
We just had an incredible amount of rain in South Florida over the last week or so. Opened truck door for first time in a week....steamy. I took out one of my backseats for extra space. Its wet along the back wall. Where is this leak? Yes a picture would be great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know the struggle. I spent some time taping off the top seal of the my rear window, laying a bead of Sikaflex, removing the third BL, redoing with butyl tape and a thin bead of Sika. I thought I had everything buttoned up until a good rain last couple days. More standing water in my under seat rear storage. I hit the sliding glass window with a garden hose and watched from inside the truck as water collected and pooled right down the sliding track.

No ideas yet on how/where to apply a seal that doesn't affect the operation of the sliding glass.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Look here for the cause :

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: well, after I posted this, I had to go out of state for a week. I come back, and guess what? Water got in again! I got the hose out and sprayed just ONE of the roof seams where it meets the rear window. After a few minutes of simulated rain, I couldn't detect any difference inside. So I followed many other people's advice and checked the center stop light. I popped it off and saw a bunch of dirt in an area that should have been closed off by a gasket. There was no water though, so I guess it dried out.

I reassembled it and trained the hose on it for a minute. Took the screws back out, popped it off and found a good half-cup of water underneath. The reason it leaks is the berth they made in the cab for the light is slightly oval, whereas the light is straight. The gasket MIGHT have been thick enough at one point, but over time must have shrunk. What horrible engineering?! And they made this body style for like a decade... I wonder if the 2019s still had this issue, as mine is a 15...

The reason the water seems to come down the sides appears to be due to a reinforcement plate just below the center light that must run and terminate at each end of the roof. I'm waiting for another good rain to test my fix. If it continues to leak, I'm going to tear off the old gasket and use new weatherstripping material.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Lot's of thread on this. Here's 2 that I've already commented on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had water leak into the cab through the break light on the cab. Dealer put in a new light and said it was a known issue.Problem solved with the new light.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I think the 3rd brake light WAS leaking, that or the roof seals because my headliner was wet at some point. But it rained again today and my floors were wet yet again.

I looked under the seat back and folded down the carpet to see that the water trail was actually going down the middle, not the sides. So I looked and saw that the sliding glass was wet in one corner. Had the wife come out and spray at it and sure enough, it was POURING in.

Looks like it's that bottom seal. I think the glue came up in the corner. Anyone ever heard of this leaking?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably the cab vent behind the rear seat.
Hey man have you had this issue yourself? I'm asking because I have wet storage areas after it rains under the back seat. My headliner is clean and dry and I have a solid back window. Could it be the vents behind the cab? Can I get to them by taking out the rear seat? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
From what the dealer did, you will have to pull at least the seat back to get to the vents. I think they only puled the seat bottoms when they replaced the carpet. Even though you have the solid back window, you may still have gasket issues. Before doing the window, they replaced the back vents and the third stop light. I think they worked on the light area three times and I did it once.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Hey man have you had this issue yourself? I'm asking because I have wet storage areas after it rains under the back seat. My headliner is clean and dry and I have a solid back window. Could it be the vents behind the cab? Can I get to them by taking out the rear seat? Thanks in advance.
I have the leak, and have not yet fixed it. I'm banking on it being the cab vents requiring removal of the seat back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts