RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this new oil: https://www.trucknews.com/transportation/chevron-unveils-a-lubricants-game-changer/1003095061/

If I'm reading it correctly it's stating that it can extend DPF regends by 250%.

That seems pretty significant especially paired with a GDE tune. I'm not sure that the DPF service life isn't lasting the lofe of modern diesel pick-up trucks though so maybe it doesn't matter.

I'd run the 15w40 since that has shown the best wear results in the UOA's from my EcoDiesel.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it's saying that it's acheiving the extended DPF service life because it "significantly reduces the rate of DPF clogging".

In my mind, if the DPF is clogged at a reduced rate that means it will go longer before having to perform a regen which would extend the time between regens.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hi: SavagePatch... I just started to use Hot Shots Extreem fuel add. After using 1/2 of the tank of fuel I'm now wondering... Is my DEF gauge stuck or am I needing less regens.?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Call me a skeptic.

How does engine oil affect the DPF so much if your not using/burning oil? I don't add a drop of oil in 9000+/- mile service interval and it never has used any that I can tell. How is the engine oil affecting something it doesn't even contact?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All engines consume oil whether you realize it or not. It’s a natural function of lubricating the piston ring/cylinder liner interface.

Here's a link with a basic explanation:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Maybe im wrong, I believe this will only come into play if your have an engine that consumes oil at a rate higher than average.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds like the ash content of oil contributes to DPF clogging. They however reduced the metals that contribute to ash clogging. Hopefully it doesn't reduce the original benefits of metals and ash in engine oil as ash apparently allows for longer oil change intervals. It'll probably be more expensive to process.

Personally, I'd rather see a solution that eliminates soot, DPFs, etc through a cleaner combustion design (hopefully Sandia's ducted fuel injection idea has hope).

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Maybe im wrong, I believe this will only come into play if your have an engine that consumes oil at a rate higher than average.
Keep in mind our engines use a pcv system and pump blowby and oil mist back into the intake. So while I agree that the claimed numbers are lofty, it's not far fetched that better oil formulation could reduce a decent amount of carbon in the exhaust stream.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Trying to reduce the ash formation of lubricating oil from the additives has been a steady quest for decades and decades. As I recall it it was first an issue in natural gas fueled engines in the oil field that burned so very clean and had tremendous life, compared to leaded gasoline or diesel engines of the era and the ash was responsible for the rings seizing in the ring glands and then compression and oil consumption going haywire. This wasn't an issue in diesel and gasoline engines at the time due to all the other crap in the combustion gasses.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
@Brokedownbutgood

It's being compared against current CK-4 rated diesel oils. View attachment 84221
Yes but sulfated ash is only part of it. There is other oil additives that can be hard on after treatment systems as well. Not all CK-4 spec oils are the same so without knowing there base oil they used for testing it just marketing hype. Ive liked delo oils and im sure its good just not the magic thing there claiming.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi: SavagePatch... I just started to use Hot Shots Extreem fuel add. After using 1/2 of the tank of fuel I'm now wondering... Is my DEF gauge stuck or am I needing less regens.?
Hot shot seems to be on a push with you tubers as it seems all over the place with (?) "magical" results. My Born skeptic gene is flashing a warning.... so you post is interesting..

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I don't think there is any relationship between DEF and regens. As I understand it DEF is needed for the catalytic converter to reduce the NOX to acceptable limits and DEF consumption is generally proportional to fuel consumption.. Regens burn the soot off the particulate filter and do not require DEF to do so. bticbw.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yes but sulfated ash is only part of it. There is other oil additives that can be hard on after treatment systems as well. Not all CK-4 spec oils are the same so without knowing there base oil they used for testing it just marketing hype. Ive liked delo oils and im sure its good just not the magic thing there claiming.
I have done some more reading on this issue and do not have any disagreement with your statement that " There is other oil additives that can be hard on after treatment systems as well. " The change in the new DELO is focused on improving the life of the DPF only and nothing to do with the catalysts. As I understand it the ash that is caught in the PDF does not burn off during a regen and over time it effectively plugs the PDF. THis oil is for heavy duty engines with a much longer life than our light duty pickup trucks. In fact the biggest advantage is claimed for offroad equipment which tend to have very long service lives and are likely to require several DPF replacements in their useful life. It seems that the science does support a reduction in this ash content should extend the life of the PDF. I didn't yet have time to see what bitog has to say but will watch it over the next week or two since I expect tehre will be good discussion there. I don't think this oil is likely to have any significant benefit for the typical half ton pickup truck user.

All the best,

·
Registered
177 Posts
The true evidence will be if OEM will use this at factory fill up. Surely would be a game changer for them to gain 3% EPA MPG gain with just different oil. Interesting that its 10w30 15w40 and not the lower 5wXX weight.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
duplicate of above but cannot delete so this is the best I could figure out. I give up, I tried to modify this message which was a duplicate of the one above and it went blank! Sorry

OK, so now my original post is down below. Obviously not doing too well learning the edit function on the new site

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I agree. FRom the articles I read in a couple heavy equipment magazines they seem quite positive about it but not likely to make any real difference in the half ton market.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts