RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its finally here! I plan on installing this weekend if i can find the time. I will post lots of pics and step by step best i can.....enjoy! 20140509_122131.jpg

Reactions: TexasRam

·
Registered
550 Posts
More as an aside - how do you find the lights that came with the Vehicle? I know I could assume you don't like them because you are installing HID's - but that may not be true (you may just like to upgrade things). I have read people bashing the Headlights on the RAM - but I think those might the lower trim models.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the factory projectors I honestly liked them they worked well! I have 2 babies in the house and we. Travel long distances to the cottage and back, after smashing into a bear about a year and a half ago I thought I want the best farthest lights I can get.... for me it's about safety, that's why I went with an expensive HID high performance kit...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 2 more pictures i will upload later with the finished product. These are pictures i took as i went.
I ordered 2 denso 35w ballasts and 2 5000k morimoto lamps and the relay and capacitor kit From trs. The wiring picture is of course before i ziptied everything all nicely

There isnt much room to mount ballasts thats for sure and there is pretty much only one way to run wires accross to the other side of the truck, which is shown in the picture.

You need a 7/8 hole through the back of the light housing and the resistors need to be mounted to metal.

I kept getting a fault code on the passenger side, it turns out i had one clip fliped inside the housing that comes out to the resistor once located easy fix.

The one picture that you guys should take a look at is the one inside the cavaty that white rectangle clip. It clicks down twice to firmly lock the back of the light in place. There is also a ball and grommet that you need to push the housing into when putting it back. You can see the white grommet in the same picture.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20140510_212248.jpg 20140510_212455.jpg

Not the greatest pics but wow i am impressed, litterally like night and day difference between the originals and these!!!
You can really see the true colour of things now.....im very happy

Reactions: oe542bob

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yah that's definitely an improvement. I am still waiting for my kit. You would think that the damn thing was shipped from the antarctic. Jeez. It's been 1 week now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just did my projectors and fogs, I never took any pictures of the progress but here's the finished product! Going out tonight to aim the lights, maybe I'll get an output shot or two for ya... image.jpg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Island, looks great! I like the hid fogs as well... I think I'm just going to throw some philups diamond whites down there and the high beams....

After going out last night I felt that I didn't need to reaim (from the halogen to hid) at all... is that possible?

Spang And ya I hear ya.... well over 2 weeks waiting for my tuner! if it's not here by friday I'm calling visa to cancel

What's the easiest way to tell if you need aiming? And to go along with that to do the actual aiming

·
Registered
255 Posts
lol drive behind a honda civic and see if your lights hit the very top of the trunk lid. If it's beyond that point, you may want to adjust. I say the honda civic since they are one of the lowest cars out there thats popular. Nothing gets much lower than the rice rockets!

Except real exotic cars.

Btw, you shouldn't have to adjust the projector unless you played with the adjustment screws, or you installed your headlight incorrectly.

Still waiting for my kit. Its cleared customs. Whats in the box?!!?!?? Jeez man. Hopefully theres a gold brick in there for an inconvienence charge.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out last night to check/adjust if needed they seemed bang on.....2" fall at 30'

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where did you guys buy your kits from, id like to get some for my limited, and would like the kit with the resistors and stuff already.
I got my HID's from Retro Shop Online Store I believe that Chris did as well. They must have updated the kit as well because the one I installed didn't have relays and resistors. It has a canbus adapter(required for 13's and 14's so the light out light doesn't come on) and ballast and bulb. I just installed them on Saturday. The install was pretty simple and light output is much better. The stock projectors aren't the best but the light output from them with HID's is good. I had both lights converted in about a hr and half which included removing and reinstalling the grill.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya my lights are still working great, and yup that's where I purchased mine from, I ended up doing my fogs now as well.... the extra light driving in the country sure is nice!! worth every penny

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ya my lights are still working great, and yup that's where I purchased mine from, I ended up doing my fogs now as well.... the extra light driving in the country sure is nice!! worth every penny
Chris can you take a pic with & without them on and post it.

Thx

Russ

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was debating doing my fogs as well but wasn't sure how the HID's would like being turned on and off all the time with the brights. Do any of your lights flicker as they warm up? I have one that flickers some but when its warm it doesn't. He said that's normal but I get strange looks from people when the auto lights turn on and the light is flashing at them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The light output with the retrofitted factory projectors looks awesome! I recently did a full retrofit with my quad lights with a kit from the retrofit source. The kit included Mini H1 Projectors, 4300k bulbs, and the relay harness and I must say its a night and day difference from stock halogens to the HID projectors. Those of you with HID's in factory fog housings, how is the light output? Is there a fair amount of scatter or glare for on coming traffic?

Kyle

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my HID's from Retro Shop Online Store I believe that Chris did as well. They must have updated the kit as well because the one I installed didn't have relays and resistors. It has a canbus adapter(required for 13's and 14's so the light out light doesn't come on) and ballast and bulb. I just installed them on Saturday. The install was pretty simple and light output is much better. The stock projectors aren't the best but the light output from them with HID's is good. I had both lights converted in about a hr and half which included removing and reinstalling the grill.
Any issues with the Canbus harness versus using the full Mopar spec harness? I do not mind the extra work with the full Mopar harness but if it really isnt necessary...
TIA

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any issues with the Canbus harness versus using the full Mopar spec harness? I do not mind the extra work with the full Mopar harness but if it really isnt necessary...
TIA
I havn't seen any problems so far other than one that flickers some starting up. Not sure if its the canbus adapter or bulb or ballast so I can't say for sure. I've seen a lot of HID's that flicker some as they fire up and I was told it wouldn't be a problem. If it is I guess I have my warranty. I could be wrong but I think you have to use the canbus adapter over the full mopar harness on a 14'. I think the full harness is for the older pre 13' trucks that don't use the canbus system. I may be wrong on that but you can ask Jeremy at Retroshop. He is very helpful and will answer any questions you have. Personally I think not having to add a bunch of wiring and taping into a power supply for relays is awesome and the install was much simpler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts