RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help clearing something up. Two years ago i would not have thought about buying a Ram or a Chrysler product. They Just were not for me. But i really think they have turned things around. I think they have the nicest interiors and the best options: air suspension 8 and 9 speed transmission, active grill shutters, Uconnect. and how can I forget the ecodiesel.
Now I have never owned a Ram or a Chrysler product but my father-in-law keeps telling me I won’t be happy because “all the parts” cost more and they rust out. I think all the manufactures do a pretty good job with the bodies now a days but what is your opinion? Are the repair parts more expensive? I’m not talking diesel compared to gas but Chrysler compared to everyone else. And how do you think the bodies compare?

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
What's funny is that the things you mentioned that you especially like - air suspension, transmission, grill shutters and u-connect are all things I do not want and did not order. All that "fancy" stuff just breaks easy and is of little to no use getting from point "A" to point "B".

As for rust my current truck is almost 11 years old. Not even a hint of rust and I spend a couple years with it running in salt/slush and snow quite often. Friend in Pennsylvania has one from around 2000 and it looked fine to me when I saw it last year. Another friend from there got rid of his Chevrolet for a new one and it was a real rust bucket.

Your father-in-law must be an old codger, set in his ways and full of prejudice...just like me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My 2001 dakota is rust free, never garaged, and 247,000 miles. Mechanical repair parts I believe are in line with other makes, with Toyota maybe being more expensive. I'm hoping to hear from my dealer that my order is placed. Saw him yesterday telling him ordering should be open today.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what i figured would be the response but Captainmal hit the nail on the head. He is an old codger, set in his ways. Still will not eat chine's food because when he was in Vietnam they ate dogs and road kill.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Yeah. I just cannot even consider buying Japanese if I can avoid it. That's getting harder and harder but I remember things my Dad and others around him told me when they were forced to fight them after they attacked us.

There are some things you just cannot deal with supporting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I owned a Dakota for 9 years and the rear bumper started rusting just before I traded it. I currently have a 2005 Ram 1500 and it started blistering the paint over both rear wheel wells last winter (8 years). The wheel wells have aftermarket flares attached. I think the wheel well flares help collect and hold onto salt. I live in southern WI where road salt is used a lot. I typically try to keep the body clean and undercarriage flushed during the winter with automatic car washes but it's impossible to avoid road salt in the northern latitudes. I think most brands/makes are fairly similar. Old stereotypes are difficult to overcome though. I plan to buy a new Ram soon albeit a hemi.

As far as the cost of parts, I don't know. After 18 years of Dodge and Ram ownership, I've had very little need to buy parts outside of warranty other than brakes and tie rod ends (knock on wood).And those weren't expensive. Even during warranty, I've had very little service done to my vehicles.

I agree with your assessment of the interior. Chevy and Ford interiors just seem relatively "chinchy" to me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 05' Chevy started to blister a little in the on rear fender and the tailgate has some rust coming through along the bottom. I think for an 05' with close to 200,000 I think that's pretty good. I dont get to wax the truck like I use too before kids and the boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts