RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2015 with about 125k on it. It had started making a clattering sound, similar to what I have heard called spark knock or detonation maybe. Doesn’t due it under constant load and has done it off and on for a while. Seemed to be worse after installing GDE epa compliant tune, GDE said was probably some calibration that would learn itself etc and go away. A shot of diesel klean and it was gone in less than 5 miles of driving. Have done the same before and it seems to stay away for a while but eventually come back. Is this just dirty injectors? Normal? Truck runs fine. Oil and fuel filter are pretty new, less than 1000 miles on them and it did it before serviced as well.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Mas maybe give her a shot of Diesel extreme? I have nothing against diesel kleen but Diesel Extreme is one of the few snake oil products that really does help.

Depending where you get fuel may have contributed to the buildup / clatter as well.

Reactions: HYDREX

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,725 Posts
Maybe give your fuel tank a sniff?

IT is not unknown to get some gasoline in your diesel from the supplier. Gasoline would cause pre-ignition, aka, knock.

Is this symptom just with the current fuel fill-up? I would be concerned.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No knocking just clatter. Been doing it for a long way longer than just this tank of fuel. Fuel filter visually looked fine for what it’s worth and I saved what came out of the filter and housing, it’s clean and nothing has separated out.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
No knocking just clatter. Been doing it for a long way longer than just this tank of fuel. Fuel filter visually looked fine for what it’s worth and I saved what came out of the filter and housing, it’s clean and nothing has separated out.
Dose it heavy and over a long period of time. I'd also consider doing an anti algae treatment.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Diesel Extreme is pretty amazing stuff. It's already super concentrated, so I don't think you need to double down on it, but it sure wouldn't hurt to add an extra ounce or so. Depending on the bottle size, you can use it for a few back-to-back treatments. I'm not impressed with Diesel Kleen and either was this guy: Diesel Kleen vs Hot Shot Secret - YouTube

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
As far as I know, these European diesels were designed to run on 50 Cetane diesel. In the USA, diesel only needs to meet a 40 cetane rating. They should be required to post the cetane rating on the pumps like gasoline. Kinda like running a Ferrari on 87 octane. I'm good friends with my bulk diesel supplier. Every batch that he gets varies. He tells me when he gets a batch over 50 cetane. Lowest cetane that I've ever gotten was actually 48. I still dose every tank with EDT and dose with Extreme every 20,000 miles. Because diesel prices have gone nutz, possibility that the stations near you are shopping for the cheapest , lower cetane stuff that they can find?

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That might have something to do with it, I don't know where Sam's get's their fuel from but it's not rated or recognized as a Top Tier and it's unlikely they sell volume diesel. It could be worse I think the lowest rated is Murphys, I had to fuel up one time there because of poor planning on my part and there was more clatter and lower mpg.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
734 Posts
In my area sams club is murphys. I used to fill up at walmart (same as sams club), then switched to mobil and saw an mpg improvement, then switched to casey's and saw more improvement. I think it's time for you to find some better fuel

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I buy 99% of my fuel at the same Sam’s club on the way to/fro work.
That might explain your poor fuel economy, too.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,725 Posts
I buy 99% of my fuel at the same Sam’s club on the way to/fro work.
Up here in Alaska we get what they send. Don't like it? Pay to send it back, haha. I see winter fuel all year in places.

I am back up to 19 mpg on the Cummins to help ease the pump pain.

I miss that Gulf state #2 diesel, now that was some fuel.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
hmm I sometimes use sams club as well as the reservation for tax free fuel but ive used sunoco as well... I changed so many other variables with the lift and tires I never considered the fuel other than using the cetane boosting additives which I do... Thing is sams club is about 25-35 cents less a gallon than mobil or sunoco around here so even if I loose a mpg or 2 I may still be coming out ahead... I do not have clattering.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That might explain your poor fuel economy, too.
With $5+/gal diesel I have re evaluated my driving habits back to a max 65 mph and have averaged 26-27 mpg on my last couple thousand miles hand calculated. It’s still not what the pre epa tune was but it’s better. I don’t honestly think I get any less fuel mileage on Sam’s than anything else. It’s definitely about 20-25 cents a gallon cheaper here than anything else so I’m sticking with it. Plus it’s convenient for me.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
With $5+/gal diesel I have re evaluated my driving habits back to a max 65 mph and have averaged 26-27 mpg on my last couple thousand miles hand calculated. It’s still not what the pre epa tune was but it’s better. I don’t honestly think I get any less fuel mileage on Sam’s than anything else. It’s definitely about 20-25 cents a gallon cheaper here than anything else so I’m sticking with it. Plus it’s convenient for me.
hit that thing with a consistent dose of Power Service diesel Kleen. it works. I used optilube xpd for a while, but noticed a significant improvement with consistent Power Service usage. Much cheaper too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts