RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Clueless EcoDiesel Owners

24K views 105 replies 46 participants last post by  Captainmal 
#1 ·
This week I spoke to 3 ED owners that were not aware of the VB1 Fire recall. I took the time to educate them. They were 2015, 2016 and 2019. I guess this should not be a surprise.

They are all calling the dealers and FCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
I think people with an above average mechanical ability flock to forums like this to learn more about their vehicles, machinery etc.
Those with less mechanical abilities can be indifferent in learning anything about automotive maintenance or performing any repairs thus not on forums like ours.

#9 ·
What do they say, "Ignorance is bliss"? lol

A large part of the fear and worry I read on this forum and others is unwarranted. Now you've spread it to these otherwise happy Ram owners. You might be surprised that there are so many happy Eco owners out there that don't talk trucks online.

#12 ·
What do they say, "Ignorance is bliss"? lol

A large part of the fear and worry I read on this forum and others is unwarranted. Now you've spread it to these otherwise happy Ram owners. You might be surprised that there are so many happy Eco owners out there that don't talk trucks online.
It’s best not knowing your driving a ticking fire ball. Lol

#10 ·
There was a time when owning an automobile almost necessitated having at least a minimal mechanical ability, whether for changing tires seasonally or doing oil changes etc.

These days, automobiles are so reliable relative to even thirty or fourty years ago, that many people just buy them, take them in for maintenance twice a year and otheriwse treat them like a television ... buy it, use it, know next to nothing about it. There's no real reason other than personal interest why we should know how an appliance works. We buy them to use them, not to have to repair them regularly.

#20 ·
I just suggest they look into getting a tune that turns off EGR so that the plastic intake isn't going to plug up with soot and become a fire starter. EGR a stupid government requirement that at best does far more harm than good. Lol that reminds me of "government is at best a necessary evil" as one of our founders said.

#21 ·
I just suggest they look into getting a tune that turns off EGR so that the plastic intake isn't going to plug up with soot and become a fire starter. EGR a stupid government requirement that at best does far more harm than good. Lol that reminds me of "government is at best a necessary evil" as one of our founders said.
I went through the whole spiel. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Now we have a huge new generation of light duty diesel owners in complete ignorance of what they got themselves into. The big 3 are now all in. Not Toyota or Nissan. Lots of em being sold, and at some point they all will be greatly disappointed by the challenges of a modern day diesel.

#25 ·
I don't know about Ford's setup but the new gen 3 Ecos and GMs 3.0 diesel owners might never have to deal with the problems of the earlier generation's emissions woes. The new systems are very different. Mfgrs have now had more time to deal with and unfortunately for us test systems used to meet governments emissions mandates. Our older (myself included) members might remember the woes of early gasoline powered cars emissions with faulty plugging catalytic converters and such. Power and mileage plummeted remember the cats with the floating balls people would take off and dump out. Today the end user doesn't even talk about converters in gas cars as its seamless.

There needs to be changes in diesel emissions requirements to better reflect what is more reasonably beneficial. But I am certainly not against the general concept and I am not a gloom and doom preacher to new prospective buyers of small diesels. In fact the opposite but with the caveat of a brief as I can education as to best tool for the job and how will you use your truck.

#23 ·
You did those owners a favor. Now they can make an informed decision to carry a fire extinguisher. They may also have learned about the existence of an EGR system, what it does and how to deal with it. Then there's the education of DEF, regenerations and how it is all supposed to work.

Sad when people criticize education. Of course teachers are often criticized and not rewarded for their efforts and success. You are learning from relating your experience. I say ..."good for you".

Reactions: Havanajoe
#24 ·
You did those owners a favor. Now they can make an informed decision to carry a fire extinguisher. They may also have learned about the existence of an EGR system, what it does and how to deal with it. Then there's the education of DEF, regenerations and how it is all supposed to work.

Sad when people criticize education. Of course teachers are often criticized and not rewarded for their efforts and success. You are learning from relating your experience. I say ..."good for you".
They were totally unaware. The 2019 owner complained of the lag that the truck has from day one.

#27 ·
Aside from EGR, which I think should be scrapped entirely as an emissions control method, the other systems are very beneficial. I love that my truck doesn't spout black shit into the sky or smell like a backhoe. I've been to 3rd world countries where they don't have these things, and it's awful. However, since the EPA is mandating these things, they should also mandate that these systems be cheaper and easier to repair. Take for example the SCR tank. It has like 5-6 sensors, and none are replaceable. You have to buy the whole damn tank to the tune of 1-2k. That's INSANE! Same with the DPF. On large trucks, you can pop it out and have it cleaned for like $200. Why can't we do likewise? It's a total scam!

#28 ·
Consumers can pick which brands/model offer the better service conditions and repair costs. Sadly most people don't factor that in as long as they have the warranty.

#29 ·
I am new here and I wanted to say thanks for the information. I have 2017 Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel and at first I was in love with it. 9400 miles on it to date always garage kept. It gets 30 miles to the gallon on a long highway trip, 22 mpg in town, has a nice ride, comfortable seating, but then it needed to be in the shop for several days for paint issues. Then a tailgate recall, programming for airbag recall, then a chip in the mail to reprogram the navigation. Lastly and most concerning a VB1 recall. The issue was downplayed when I called one service department. Seeing the fires posted here on youtube I again contacted FCA. Bad scenerio is a fire while parked, but I am concerned it catches fire while driving, or worse yet detonates inside my garage and I lose everything. They have escalated my claim and are considering a rental car with my truck being left at the dealer until a fix is provided. Again thanks for the information!

#30 ·
Thd EGR cooler recall is definitely a pain in the caboose for all. However there are hundreds if not thousands of owners that actually have a leaking EGR cooler that have been parked for weeks or months waiting for the recall replacement parts. There are many that have even been told to keep driving their leaky time bombs until the parts arrive. If they give you a rental when you are not even experiencing a leak yet I'd be shocked.

#37 ·
Maybe i am missing something but my '15ed ran 100k miles with no egr issues. Im not planning on parking my newly acquired '18ed for something that might happen. I dont mean to discount anyones issues with their trucks. Sounds like a serious issue but in the grand scheme of things, seems there have been many more vehicles unaffected than affected. By far.

#39 ·
Obliviious car/truck/SUV/CUV owners? Well, that's about 95% of the public. I got a neighbor (whom I respect very much as a veteran) who puts his truck in gear almost before the starter stops spinning and it's 5F outside. Good thing GM trucks are built Ford tough. I flinch every time I heard it but I just smile and wave. Not my truck, not my worry.

#40 ·
"Ford Tough"????

Windstorm two nights ago blew some shingles off my roof. Insurance coming Monday but not enough damage to get any coverage, according to the roofer that came to look yesterday. Well I noticed he was driving a Ford diesel Of course I asked. He had it totally rebuilt, engine and emissions, by a local diesel shop. He also mentioned that diesel shop could tune and work on the new Cummins. Then he told me about his brothers' new Ford 3.0 diesel.

My truck was in a garage and he had no clue I had a diesel. His story was to NEVER buy one of those "little 3.0 diesels". They are all junk. His brother bought a Ford 3.0 diesel. At 22,000 miles it locked up the motor. No replacement yet and not sure how long that has gone on. He said the darn thing broke a timing belt (also said there were two timing belts) and the broken belt trashed the motor.

No way for me to substantiate the story. He is coming to measure the house today as my wife wants the whole roof replaced. Estimate comes Monday. I am ready to cry. Roof is 17 years old. Wish I was 17 years old. Don't wish to be "Ford Tough".

Reactions: Ecosparky
#42 ·
"Ford Tough"????

Windstorm two nights ago blew some shingles off my roof. Insurance coming Monday but not enough damage to get any coverage, according to the roofer that came to look yesterday. Well I noticed he was driving a Ford diesel Of course I asked. He had it totally rebuilt, engine and emissions, by a local diesel shop. He also mentioned that diesel shop could tune and work on the new Cummins. Then he told me about his brothers' new Ford 3.0 diesel.

My truck was in a garage and he had no clue I had a diesel. His story was to NEVER buy one of those "little 3.0 diesels". They are all junk. His brother bought a Ford 3.0 diesel. At 22,000 miles it locked up the motor. No replacement yet and not sure how long that has gone on. He said the darn thing broke a timing belt (also said there were two timing belts) and the broken belt trashed the motor.

No way for me to substantiate the story. He is coming to measure the house today as my wife wants the whole roof replaced. Estimate comes Monday. I am ready to cry. Roof is 17 years old. Wish I was 17 years old. Don't wish to be "Ford Tough".
Sorry about the roof situation. That just spoils ones week.

I was being a bit sarcastic about the "Ford Tough" comment but I get your point. This will be my first and last "light duty" diesel. Not sure what will be my next vehicle. Perhaps a Tesla truck or a Toyota Tundra or a Ford v8 power stroke.

#41 ·
I have to wonder if this post had gotten too far from the topic. We can goto any other forum or post for user (bashing) disagreement.

What options are out there to inform other Ram ED owners? How about a community who'll contact FCA explaining how unsatisfied/dissatisfied with the ED issues... That conversation needs too address why other owners aren't being informed.

This includes what options are out there for improved Ram performance. Upgrades that are legal and don't cost too much. Yup FCA should have fixed all of our issues; but they aren't.

What do the 2017 & up have that eliminates the plagued ED issues for previous year Ram trucks... Why can't we get those...

#46 ·
I have to wonder if this post had gotten too far from the topic. We can goto any other forum or post for user (bashing) disagreement.

What options are out there to inform other Ram ED owners? How about a community who'll contact FCA explaining how unsatisfied/dissatisfied with the ED issues... That conversation needs too address why other owners aren't being informed.

This includes what options are out there for improved Ram performance. Upgrades that are legal and don't cost too much. Yup FCA should have fixed all of our issues; but they aren't.

What do the 2017 & up have that eliminates the plagued ED issues for previous year Ram trucks... Why can't we get those...
In the grand scheme of things the list would be very short. Mine is a 2014 and except for the inefficient cats that were first installed all else has been flawless. Of all the ED owners i have meet and talked to in gas stations, parking lots etc. i have yet to meet one that has any serious problems and all seemed to love there trucks. When at the dealer for he AEM talked to three others that had similar positive experiences. Of course we have the egr cooler problem that when the new part comes out you can bet it will be bullet proof. They know there is a problem and are stepping up to take care of it. Even handing out rental cars like candy on Halloween. Yes there have been some motor failures but i doubt that the number is any higher than any other manufacturer. And FCA has always stood up and taken care of those also. This like others forums i have been on (like with my Tundra) is filled with doom and gloom. Like most products today they are all built so much better then they used to be. Perfection ? Well, this is Real life and that is not an option.

#43 ·
Capt I have had roof issues in the past as well. First replacement was at 13 years and next was at 8. Granted I live in different climate conditions, these were both 30 yr shingles. Todays shingles don't last ever since asbestos was taken out. As bad as it is for health, it did wonders to keep shingle bonded for long term. I wasn't impressed with current shingle longevity so I went with a steel roof and have not looked back. A little more cost up front but I never have to worry about it again. Don't believe anyone who says steel is noisy. My neighbours asphalt is noisier than mine in a good down pour and he just had his redone a few years ago and will have to do it again, whereas mine will last longer than I will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.