RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 106 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I just suggest they look into getting a tune that turns off EGR so that the plastic intake isn't going to plug up with soot and become a fire starter. EGR a stupid government requirement that at best does far more harm than good. Lol that reminds me of "government is at best a necessary evil" as one of our founders said.
I went through the whole spiel. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now we have a huge new generation of light duty diesel owners in complete ignorance of what they got themselves into. The big 3 are now all in. Not Toyota or Nissan. Lots of em being sold, and at some point they all will be greatly disappointed by the challenges of a modern day diesel.

You did those owners a favor. Now they can make an informed decision to carry a fire extinguisher. They may also have learned about the existence of an EGR system, what it does and how to deal with it. Then there's the education of DEF, regenerations and how it is all supposed to work.

Sad when people criticize education. Of course teachers are often criticized and not rewarded for their efforts and success. You are learning from relating your experience. I say ..."good for you".

Reactions: Havanajoe
Discussion starter · #24 ·
You did those owners a favor. Now they can make an informed decision to carry a fire extinguisher. They may also have learned about the existence of an EGR system, what it does and how to deal with it. Then there's the education of DEF, regenerations and how it is all supposed to work.

Sad when people criticize education. Of course teachers are often criticized and not rewarded for their efforts and success. You are learning from relating your experience. I say ..."good for you".
They were totally unaware. The 2019 owner complained of the lag that the truck has from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now we have a huge new generation of light duty diesel owners in complete ignorance of what they got themselves into. The big 3 are now all in. Not Toyota or Nissan. Lots of em being sold, and at some point they all will be greatly disappointed by the challenges of a modern day diesel.
I don't know about Ford's setup but the new gen 3 Ecos and GMs 3.0 diesel owners might never have to deal with the problems of the earlier generation's emissions woes. The new systems are very different. Mfgrs have now had more time to deal with and unfortunately for us test systems used to meet governments emissions mandates. Our older (myself included) members might remember the woes of early gasoline powered cars emissions with faulty plugging catalytic converters and such. Power and mileage plummeted remember the cats with the floating balls people would take off and dump out. Today the end user doesn't even talk about converters in gas cars as its seamless.

There needs to be changes in diesel emissions requirements to better reflect what is more reasonably beneficial. But I am certainly not against the general concept and I am not a gloom and doom preacher to new prospective buyers of small diesels. In fact the opposite but with the caveat of a brief as I can education as to best tool for the job and how will you use your truck.

Aside from EGR, which I think should be scrapped entirely as an emissions control method, the other systems are very beneficial. I love that my truck doesn't spout black shit into the sky or smell like a backhoe. I've been to 3rd world countries where they don't have these things, and it's awful. However, since the EPA is mandating these things, they should also mandate that these systems be cheaper and easier to repair. Take for example the SCR tank. It has like 5-6 sensors, and none are replaceable. You have to buy the whole damn tank to the tune of 1-2k. That's INSANE! Same with the DPF. On large trucks, you can pop it out and have it cleaned for like $200. Why can't we do likewise? It's a total scam!

Consumers can pick which brands/model offer the better service conditions and repair costs. Sadly most people don't factor that in as long as they have the warranty.

I am new here and I wanted to say thanks for the information. I have 2017 Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel and at first I was in love with it. 9400 miles on it to date always garage kept. It gets 30 miles to the gallon on a long highway trip, 22 mpg in town, has a nice ride, comfortable seating, but then it needed to be in the shop for several days for paint issues. Then a tailgate recall, programming for airbag recall, then a chip in the mail to reprogram the navigation. Lastly and most concerning a VB1 recall. The issue was downplayed when I called one service department. Seeing the fires posted here on youtube I again contacted FCA. Bad scenerio is a fire while parked, but I am concerned it catches fire while driving, or worse yet detonates inside my garage and I lose everything. They have escalated my claim and are considering a rental car with my truck being left at the dealer until a fix is provided. Again thanks for the information!

I am new here and I wanted to say thanks for the information. I have 2017 Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel and at first I was in love with it. 9400 miles on it to date always garage kept. It gets 30 miles to the gallon on a long highway trip, 22 mpg in town, has a nice ride, comfortable seating, but then it needed to be in the shop for several days for paint issues. Then a tailgate recall, programming for airbag recall, then a chip in the mail to reprogram the navigation. Lastly and most concerning a VB1 recall. The issue was downplayed when I called one service department. Seeing the fires posted here on youtube I again contacted FCA. Bad scenerio is a fire while parked, but I am concerned it catches fire while driving, or worse yet detonates inside my garage and I lose everything. They have escalated my claim and are considering a rental car with my truck being left at the dealer until a fix is provided. Again thanks for the information!
Thd EGR cooler recall is definitely a pain in the caboose for all. However there are hundreds if not thousands of owners that actually have a leaking EGR cooler that have been parked for weeks or months waiting for the recall replacement parts. There are many that have even been told to keep driving their leaky time bombs until the parts arrive. If they give you a rental when you are not even experiencing a leak yet I'd be shocked.

There are many that have even been told to keep driving their leaky time bombs until the parts arrive.

That recommendation from FCA is scarier than the recall itself. We now know your vehicle has a defective part so keep driving it? Driving it until we develop a fix or until it catches fire, whichever comes first!

Yes unfortunately. However there are those that think FCA's handling of this recall is inappropriate, and there are those that think FCA has been great.

What do they say, "Ignorance is bliss"? lol

A large part of the fear and worry I read on this forum and others is unwarranted. Now you've spread it to these otherwise happy Ram owners. You might be surprised that there are so many happy Eco owners out there that don't talk trucks online.
I agree. I have always been a mechanical person, whether tearing down an engine, or a computer. ON the latter, I have used forums for odd issues.

But since the trucks before the Ecodiesel I have now, I never had any issues that warranted going to a forum. A gas engine is a gas engine, points, plugs, cap and rotor, oil and filter. No huge mystery to me. Grab a manual, you can do anything you want.

I came here because of interest in this new diesel truck I just bought, now going on near two years. And glad I did, I would not of heard of GDE, or of the recalls and other issues, and proper use of these trucks, and I mean you NEED to use these trucks. They are not grocery getters.

I gotta say this, I never hear of anyone "misfueling" their Eco.s in the almost two years I've been here. I mean gasoline in a diesel engine. And dont' tell me it dont' happen. I have not once heard of anyone admitting to this mistake. Do some digging, it happens more then you think and a gallon of gas is enough to explode the HPFP. I have a real gut feeling that many of the issues with these trucks are human caused, even if it's a dealer putting in 5w-20 oil and/or only 7 quarts.

And now comes the fricking EGR fireball debacle. I'm leaning hard thinking on a stage two, at least keep the kit under the seat just in case were half way from Alaska to America.....and the hell with the dealer and a new EGR cooler. Or, as I was just telling my brother, the hell with it, go trade it in for a Hemi. IDK.....

I do know my truck runs like a top, and I use it hard, and I make damned sure it gets hot, every time. Most of the miles are towing. The oil reports are superb.

I shall power on with no fear for now.

Lol, I'm in Kona, why am I even reading this????? hahahahahahahah.......
Aloha guys/gals

I just suggest they look into getting a tune that turns off EGR so that the plastic intake isn't going to plug up with soot and become a fire starter. EGR a stupid government requirement that at best does far more harm than good. Lol that reminds me of "government is at best a necessary evil" as one of our founders said.
@VernDiesel, As I mentioned in another thread some of us live in states where the GDE tune is prohibited. So were SOL. Thanks to the ever vigilant and oppressive OZ, I mean Newsom et al.[emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Are you regering to NFL great...."THE WIZARD OF Oz"... Ozzie Newsome?

Maybe i am missing something but my '15ed ran 100k miles with no egr issues. Im not planning on parking my newly acquired '18ed for something that might happen. I dont mean to discount anyones issues with their trucks. Sounds like a serious issue but in the grand scheme of things, seems there have been many more vehicles unaffected than affected. By far.

@VernDiesel, As I mentioned in another thread some of us live in states where the GDE tune is prohibited. So were SOL. Thanks to the ever vigilant and oppressive OZ, I mean Newsom et al.[emoji2959]
Firemedic, You are only SOL if you are content to be so. We can no longer buy a tune from or have a tune installed via a business in America due to gov legislative over reach. This merely pushed the tune sales/installation (via ECM modification IE emissions tampering) to outside of the US companies or makes us install the tune ourselves.

Between The FIRST to offer 14-18 RAM 1500/JEEP Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel ECU & Transmission Tune via OBD2 flash! or 2014-2018 Dodge Ram 3.0L Eco Diesel DPF, EGR Delete Kit or other companies like them.

And EGR Delete Kit (Stage 2 kit) or Eco Diesel Solution Some say screw sooting your engine/oil from the government tune AEM/EGR and waiting on an FCA paid or "free EGR cooler" and what they might actually cost you; bearing failure, fire, blown head gasket, vehicle down time. So you might consider spending a little coin to fix government intervention with an aftermarket tune and EGR cooler delete so that the leak is fixed permanently and you are done with it.

With these everybody should be able to have a stronger more fuel efficient and more reliable trouble free gen 2 Ecodiesel. (2014 thru 2020 Classic) Naturally both these things are only for your off road truck since apparently only politicians are allowed to break the law.

To drive/tow more safely with a 60 HP high output tune setting you would also need Edge Product CTS2 Insight 84130 gauge monitor

And Edge 98620 EAS Expandable EGT Probe Kit

I hope to have the first 10,000 hour plus gen 2 Ecodiesel motor. My first motor pushed a head gasket at a little over 7,000 hours & 371,500 miles. I believe because of running low coolant from not managing my EGR cooler leak well enough, soon enough. My second engine has 5,021 hours and 272,000 miles. Both motors spending over half their life towing a travel trailer or boat usually in the 5 to 7k weight range. Travel trailers also have lots of wind drag which is hard on a motor well and everything else. Long live the ecodiesel. Lol with EGR turn off tune and EGR cooler delete. Can it still slip a bearing and go bad yep but I like the odds a lot better.

BTW a person going the optional full delete engine tune doesn't have to buy the off road exhaust system. They can also gut the factory pipe and reinstall it to save some coin.

Obliviious car/truck/SUV/CUV owners? Well, that's about 95% of the public. I got a neighbor (whom I respect very much as a veteran) who puts his truck in gear almost before the starter stops spinning and it's 5F outside. Good thing GM trucks are built Ford tough. I flinch every time I heard it but I just smile and wave. Not my truck, not my worry.

"Ford Tough"????

Windstorm two nights ago blew some shingles off my roof. Insurance coming Monday but not enough damage to get any coverage, according to the roofer that came to look yesterday. Well I noticed he was driving a Ford diesel Of course I asked. He had it totally rebuilt, engine and emissions, by a local diesel shop. He also mentioned that diesel shop could tune and work on the new Cummins. Then he told me about his brothers' new Ford 3.0 diesel.

My truck was in a garage and he had no clue I had a diesel. His story was to NEVER buy one of those "little 3.0 diesels". They are all junk. His brother bought a Ford 3.0 diesel. At 22,000 miles it locked up the motor. No replacement yet and not sure how long that has gone on. He said the darn thing broke a timing belt (also said there were two timing belts) and the broken belt trashed the motor.

No way for me to substantiate the story. He is coming to measure the house today as my wife wants the whole roof replaced. Estimate comes Monday. I am ready to cry. Roof is 17 years old. Wish I was 17 years old. Don't wish to be "Ford Tough".

Reactions: Ecosparky
21 - 40 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.