RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts
Ditto TzarIgor's remarks. The latest "recall" is not a recall at all. Especially since FCA says they have no solution to the problem (yet)! They just say leaking coolant could cause a fire. So keep an eye on your coolant levels. If you notice them dropping, say a prayer and be ready to bail on a moment's notice should your vehicle catch on fire.

As I write this, I can't believe I am saying this but it's all true!

MECHANICAL ABILITY IS SIMPLY A PRODUCT OF ONES INTERESTS.
Agreed, mechanical ability is not inherited and you're not born with it.

You are good at what you focus on. It's hard to unintentionally win a championship, fix a car, be good at welding, raise kids right ....

To get ahead of some of the problems particular car models have (quirks, flaws, fires) you have to intentionally seek knowledge. Some still choose to not drink in the information when it is given to them so they remain clueless.

It is pretty easy to gauge a person within the first few seconds of an interaction. If they seem like a person who is not that into it then just blow it off. Why does it have to be a crusade to save all the Eco owners?

Coming to a message board where there is a collection of people interested in making the Ecodiesel a more reliable, better platform is a great start but, as they say, you can lead a horse to water.....

Sorry, but I'm going to chime in here and DISAGREE with MOST of you on this, YOUR DEAD WRONG, and you "calling out" owners for not knowing something may be wrong with their $65k truck is absolutely ridiculous. In fact, I'd add that it actually makes YOU the stupid one, not the guy that doesn't know.

First, I'm not even sure what your talking about? "ED is a Fireball"? "Recall notice for fire"? I have a 2015 ED, I have no notice stating it's a fire hazard. I have not herd there is a fire hazard. Yes, I saw a post a few weeks ago of a white 1500 ED burning on the side of the road. So does that mean the other 150k of them are ALL going to burn down for some reason? NO! Have I personally seen 5 to 10 cars/trucks burn down on the side of the road? YES. I've seen many vehicles catch fire and burn down to nothing. AND, I have a police scanner and have listened in to FD and PD for 40 + years and have herd 100's to 1000's of calls of burning vehicles called out on the radio. It happens all the time. Sometimes it's a mechanical problem cause, sometimes an idiot smoker, sometimes nobody knows, but it happens all the time.

Now, I'm on this site from time to time researching things, and looking things up. I am not a mechanic, but am pretty mechanically inclined. However, do I know everything about this truck, OR ANY truck for that matter? NO. Do I care to know everything about this or any other vehicle for that matter? NO. I actually have a life! I have a boat, I have surfboards, I have ski's and enjoy skiing, I'm an armature photographer among other things. Suffice it to say, I don't have time to give a hoot about my truck other than standard maintenance, and I don't give a hoot about what you idiots with no life think about that.

So the point is, GET OFF YOUR HORSES, and BACK THE HELL UP. If you life is researching and knowing every minute detail about your piece of junk RAM truck, good for you! But don't clamp down on the rest of the world (99.9% of the population by the way!), that do NOT pay attention to any of this nonsense.

Now having said that, what is wrong with my ED now, that will turn it into a fireball to quote you jackwagons?

It would be nice if we could all go pick up a free fire extinguisher at the dealer you bought the truck from. ???
LOL

VB1 recall, I have already traded my 2016 Eco for a new 2020 Laramie Eco, very early in Dec. 2019... now, I did receive a VB1 recall notification, and was also told, there was not fix at the present time, but would be informed when the fix was coming, which may be never.... but, an owner, has several sources to go to, Mopar for one, you can log in all your own non dealer LOF's etc... and you'll find on the same site recall info... then the other source is the good ole govt... NHTSA... pop in your vin, and walla, stuff you never knew existed… so for those folks not in the know, there is no excuse for lo info... oh ya, my new 2020 eco, I LOVE IT.... something else, I hooked up to an enclosed box trailer yesterday, this new camera, it's camera 3.0... so much improved... they even have a line to line up your hitch, and you can blow up the pic to line everything up, it's no longer a pain in the Haines to stab a ball and hitch...it's a one shot deal...

Discussion starter · #70 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I'm going to chime in here and DISAGREE with MOST of you on this, YOUR DEAD WRONG, and you "calling out" owners for not knowing something may be wrong with their $65k truck is absolutely ridiculous. In fact, I'd add that it actually makes YOU the stupid one, not the guy that doesn't know.

First, I'm not even sure what your talking about? "ED is a Fireball"? "Recall notice for fire"? I have a 2015 ED, I have no notice stating it's a fire hazard. I have not herd there is a fire hazard. Yes, I saw a post a few weeks ago of a white 1500 ED burning on the side of the road. So does that mean the other 150k of them are ALL going to burn down for some reason? NO! Have I personally seen 5 to 10 cars/trucks burn down on the side of the road? YES. I've seen many vehicles catch fire and burn down to nothing. AND, I have a police scanner and have listened in to FD and PD for 40 + years and have herd 100's to 1000's of calls of burning vehicles called out on the radio. It happens all the time. Sometimes it's a mechanical problem cause, sometimes an idiot smoker, sometimes nobody knows, but it happens all the time.

Now, I'm on this site from time to time researching things, and looking things up. I am not a mechanic, but am pretty mechanically inclined. However, do I know everything about this truck, OR ANY truck for that matter? NO. Do I care to know everything about this or any other vehicle for that matter? NO. I actually have a life! I have a boat, I have surfboards, I have ski's and enjoy skiing, I'm an armature photographer among other things. Suffice it to say, I don't have time to give a hoot about my truck other than standard maintenance, and I don't give a hoot about what you idiots with no life think about that.

So the point is, GET OFF YOUR HORSES, and BACK THE HELL UP. If you life is researching and knowing every minute detail about your piece of junk RAM truck, good for you! But don't clamp down on the rest of the world (99.9% of the population by the way!), that do NOT pay attention to any of this nonsense.

Now having said that, what is wrong with my ED now, that will turn it into a fireball to quote you jackwagons?
The point here is that many ED drivers are not aware of the recall. I’ve run into 6 in the past 4 weeks that where not aware and were very thankful that I spoke to them. Your truck can catch fire. If you don’t care that’s your problem. I hope you don’t have kids in it. As far as horses, which end are you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a member of baby boomer generation I learned a lot about maintaining everything from cars and trucks to construction. I passed that knowledge along to all of my children so they would be self sufficient. Unfortunately we now have an entire generation that unless they grew up on a farm don't know one end of a wrench from a screwdriver. Votech was a big thing when I attended high school. That's where I learned to weld and electronics; two things that helped me get jobs and a career as a Diagnostic Imaging Engineer.
I recently repaired my wife's BMW 328i for $25. The dealership (150 miles) would have cost me hundreds.

Lol.....from the guy with 3 posts in 4 years. I'm surprised you have any inclination to even post.

Maybe you guys need to re-read the title of this thread ............btw not started by me.

My statement should not misconstrue ones mechanical ability as a personal attack on their intelligence. MECHANICAL ABILITY IS SIMPLY A PRODUCT OF ONES INTERESTS. So settle down.
While mechanical ability may not be inherent, it is certainly more that just a product of one's interests. I was a millwright for 20 years and had plenty of apprentices, all of whom had an interest in becoming a millwright. Most did well but some did not make it as they just had no understanding of mechanics, despite their interest and some excellent classes and mentoring. It has to do with how information is processed internally and that usually can't be learned. It is how our brains are wired. It is neither good nor bad, it is just the way it is.
I don't believe I have to know how/why a plane flies to take a trip and I don't believe one should have to be a mechanical genius to own a diesel truck, although in the case of the EcoD it may help. The dealers/factory have to do a better job of educating their customers.
Canyon

I dont agree. Other than providing the Owners Manual upon purchase, there is no responsibility on a product manufacturer to educate a consumer prior to purchase. (Caveat emptor)
Also an apprentice milwright should be vetted for mechanical ability prior to being inducted into the trade either by a trade council or by the employer doing the hiring. Not only is this common sense, but good business.
I wasn't born with a wrench in my hand. I picked it up in my early 30's when I realized I could no longer afford to pay the dealer to perform all of the costly repairs that they said I needed. This opened up a whole interest and confidence in learning about everything I own mechanical, hydraulic, electrical etc.. I now service and repair my vehicles, tractors, excavators, tools, motors. There is nothing to be afraid of and the resources available on the net and great forums like this one are invaluable.

They were totally unaware. The 2019 owner complained of the lag that the truck has from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, this truck should not require any special maintenance or knowledge over that of a gasser. Add DEF and change fuel filter. Thats the only real added issues.

FCA screwed up on this truck quite a bit. In reality tho, most are not gonna fail, burn down or experience problems. Most owners will be oblivious and never have any real issues. Which is really how it should be.

Honestly, this truck should not require any special maintenance or knowledge over that of a gasser. Add DEF and change fuel filter. Thats the only real added issues.

FCA screwed up on this truck quite a bit. In reality tho, most are not gonna fail, burn down or experience problems. Most owners will be oblivious and never have any real issues. Which is really how it should be.
I agree with what you are saying but would add to your brief list the understanding of potential diesel fuel gelling problem. It won't affect most people except during the fall changeover from summer to winter fuels and if you travel from the South to the North and hit a nasty cold spell. That happened to me the Fall/early winter of my first year of ownership and I understood the issue but trusted the fuel station to do the right thing. We got below zero F temps in November and not much diesel is sold here in normal gas stations and I think the blending of winter and summer fuel in their tanks and my tank caused the issue. Ever since I add anti gel for a couple tanks in the Fall and have never had a problem again.

All the best,

Discussion starter · #80 ·
I agree with what you are saying but would add to your brief list the understanding of potential diesel fuel gelling problem. It won't affect most people except during the fall changeover from summer to winter fuels and if you travel from the South to the North and hit a nasty cold spell. That happened to me the Fall/early winter of my first year of ownership and I understood the issue but trusted the fuel station to do the right thing. We got below zero F temps in November and not much diesel is sold here in normal gas stations and I think the blending of winter and summer fuel in their tanks and my tank caused the issue. Ever since I add anti gel for a couple tanks in the Fall and have never had a problem again.

All the best,
Which product did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.