RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts
As a member of baby boomer generation I learned a lot about maintaining everything from cars and trucks to construction. I passed that knowledge along to all of my children so they would be self sufficient. Unfortunately we now have an entire generation that unless they grew up on a farm don't know one end of a wrench from a screwdriver. Votech was a big thing when I attended high school. That's where I learned to weld and electronics; two things that helped me get jobs and a career as a Diagnostic Imaging Engineer.
I recently repaired my wife's BMW 328i for $25. The dealership (150 miles) would have cost me hundreds.
IS this the "farmers wrench" you are referring to?

Farmers wrench

Reactions: MR. TED
I asked our dealership about the VB1 Recall for our 2016, they essentially just told me to not worry about it and just monitor levels as there is currently no fix. This was back in February when we had to have our Air suspension serviced.

I asked our dealership about the VB1 Recall for our 2016, they essentially just told me to not worry about it and just monitor levels as there is currently no fix. This was back in February when we had to have our Air suspension serviced.
Hi: Kalyphus... There really is no fix for the "Fix" we're in. Seems the incompetence goes right to the top and beyond. You have to monitor all levels and believe no one, but yourself!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

I hate to say it but I've actually stopped taking the time to enlighten other owners as I've found most of them to be completely oblivious to many aspects of the vehicles nuances. Most of these people think their driving gassers that just happen to take diesel.
Wow, aren’t we the smartest on the block! Affectation much......
pilot sends

Wow, aren’t we the smartest on the block! Affectation much......
pilot sends

Just telling it like it is. Also keep the thread title in proper context..........I used to engage with every owner I saw. Then I realized there are many different people with different mechanical knowledge and abilities. Not all want to stand in a parking lot and talk about regens, EGR's. Too many wasted minutes. If someone comes to me, different story, I'll be glad to discuss our trucks.

Just telling it like it is. Also keep the thread title in proper context..........I used to engage with every owner I saw. Then I realized there are many different people with different mechanical knowledge and abilities. Not all want to stand in a parking lot and talk about regens, EGR's. Too many wasted minutes. If someone comes to me, different story, I'll be glad to discuss our trucks.
There's lots of us Ecod owners who are having no trouble, and who have no problem understanding the mechanics of our trucks, but who don't have a love affair with them and have zero intention of modifying them, regardless of what tjhe converted preach. I like my Ecod, but the day it fails it's gone, no emotional breakdown for me, no drama for me ... it's just gone. For me it's a tool to do a job with. I bought the best warranty coverage I could get, like I always do, and I'll do the same next time.
For me that's the simple, stress free way to own a truck I like ..... right up until I don't like it anymore.

I’m the pilot, worked in gas stations thru high school and college. I never owned a new truck in my life and was expecting Ram to keep me advised of recalls. Havana Joe brought me up to speed and told me about this website. I’m extremely grateful he took the time.

Welcome pilot.
This thread about clueless owners was actually started by Havanajoe.

Discussion starter · #91 ·
I’m the pilot, worked in gas stations thru high school and college. I never owned a new truck in my life and was expecting Ram to keep me advised of recalls. Havana Joe brought me up to speed and told me about this website. I’m extremely grateful he took the time.
That’s what I’m talking about. Welcome did not realize that was you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's lots of us Ecod owners who are having no trouble, and who have no problem understanding the mechanics of our trucks, but who don't have a love affair with them and have zero intention of modifying them, regardless of what tjhe converted preach. I like my Ecod, but the day it fails it's gone, no emotional breakdown for me, no drama for me ... it's just gone. For me it's a tool to do a job with. I bought the best warranty coverage I could get, like I always do, and I'll do the same next time.
For me that's the simple, stress free way to own a truck I like ..... right up until I don't like it anymore.
Hi: John Bartley... Happy EcoD. owner here too!!! Runs like a Swiss watch, tic, tic, tic. No probs but lots of silly messages on the speedo screen. Not one of 'em stayed. Only thing is I'm nearing the end of the extended warr. period. That means if there is a prob... I own it!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Not a big deal, I just keep my hand on the door handle and insurance paid up. ;)

They told you wrong!
Yes, it’s a major concern. However, it has not been deemed to be a likely life-threatening issue, as they did not issue a no drive notice. If you are terribly uncomfortable, arrangements for a loaner can be made until the vehicle is repaired. The issue with them not having a repair available yet may be due to a parts supplier issue, or may simply be due to ongoing testing of a revised design to insure its long-term safety.

(Go ahead, ask me how I know this!)

The other thing you have to keep in mind - this issue may, or may not have actually ever happened to a real vehicle. A design team may have gotten a plugged EGR cooler that had signs that the plastic was starting to melt in that area - and decided that fire was a potential outcome. Or, they may have had several burn to the ground because of it. The NHTSA number on your notice, will allow you to review the NHTSA data that caused the recall to determine the severity -

Ford owners were panicked over the pretensioner recall - you had to grasp the concept that the NHTSA had about 30 cases at the time the 19s07 carpet tape recall was issued - a “statistical anomaly” when you realize there were 4.25 million trucks on the road by that time, and probably 10% or more had been crashed based on national averages.

As a technician for a living - we see some problems repeatedly, and we have to kind of remind ourselves that when you look at the overall picture, failure rates total, in a 60,000 mile warranty period, only 12-14% of owners ever have a problem period. It’s literally 120-140 repairs per 1000 vehicles. If you do 2 repairs per vehicle, only 7% of owners have a problem.

I can’t speculate as to why this issue is taking so long to resolve. Could be challenges in the design phase, testing phase, or even simply that the COVID outbreak has stopped the supply chain for the last several months. But know absolutely that IF it were considered a safety risk to the occupants of the vehicle, a do not drive would have been issued.
Also know, that IF this bothers you terribly, you should make that clear to your dealer, and then to FCA if the dealer does not put those fears to rest.

I talked to a customer yesterday that has a 2018. I asked him if he's had the VB1 recall performed for the EGR cooler replacement.
He said "luckily it doesn't apply to me because mine being a 2018 has the FIAT motor".
Yikes!

This week I spoke to 3 ED owners that were not aware of the VB1 Fire recall. I took the time to educate them. They were 2015, 2016 and 2019. I guess this should not be a surprise.

They are all calling the dealers and FCA.

The 2019 had the new egr cooler installed they sat in storage until they were all replaced
This week I spoke to 3 ED owners that were not aware of the VB1 Fire recall. I took the time to educate them. They were 2015, 2016 and 2019. I guess this should not be a surprise.

They are all calling the dealers and FCA.

The 2019 already have the new egr cooler from the factory

81 - 100 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.